Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drive?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont buy until I get to test drive, its based on the principal of the matter. If Im dropping 30 grand, a dealer better go out of their way for me, or Ill just find one that does. Just remember, he who holds the money has the advantage...
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

It's really a pride thing for some dealers. When I went to that dealer and got a test RIDE, I was pretty dissapointed considering it was the dealerships car they had bought for themselves. It was already broken in and they still wouldnt let me or drmosh drive it when we were there. The way that salesman drove it I thought we were going to crash LOL....there's no way in heck I could throw the car around like that on the test drive!
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:25 PM

--heh.. well I guess it will most likely wear off when the rest of the hype dies down. I think you're going to have a tough time selling a $30k car to anyone but enthusiasts on reputation alone.

-Tiak
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Tiak

That's a bit of a beligerent response, don't you think?

If I can't test drive it, how do I know that I like the way it handles or the ride comfort (or lack thereof)?
-Tiak
No I don't think so.

BTW. My store is EXTREMELY sensitive about 350Z test drives too. I still have not driven one and I work sell the things.

Same thing back in the day of the 3000GT VR4.

Nobody is saying you can't test drive it, but there are qualifications.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by M3rcer

You are WRONG, you cannot test drive an M5 period. I work for BMW and BMW NA does not allow test drives on M5. All M5 are presold as it is, for the most part. It's basically a "you know what you are buying and if you don't to hell with you, scenario" If you do happen to get a ride in a M5 bet you it's the dealer principal's car otherwise enough of the horsesh*t
That is incorrect, I don't know how things work down by where you live, but here in Illinois it's differnt. You can test drive the M5, like once around the block, but you have to sighn up in advance, and they call you...
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

my 2 cents....

the reason you aren't going to be able to test drive an Evo for a while is because they are mostly pre-sold. I would have a huge problem if my dealership allowed some yahoo to test drive my car. Once they are on the lots (and not pre-sold), I'm sure you are going to be able to arrange a test drive.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Mark F

No I don't think so.

BTW. My store is EXTREMELY sensitive about 350Z test drives too. I still have not driven one and I work sell the things.

Okay, I know for a fact I can test drive a 350Z any day of the week, and without hastles and without the salesman. I'm sure it helps that I'm 29 and would either be pulling up in my 01 Pathfinder SE or 93 FD.

I'm with the people that will not buy without a test drive. If I'm very serious I will however set everything up conditional on a satisfactory test drive. I suggest if you are of the same opinion, just wait until the hype dies down and the availability goes up.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

i'm with you 4wdrift. After seeing all this 180whp talk, i'm a little worried it wont give me more of a rush than my eclipse, even though my eclipse is 2wd. I'm initiating a new car payment buying this thing since my car has been paid off for a few years now.

The most experience I had was as a passenger with 4 people in the car. It felt a little faster than my eclipse but not by much. I just dont want to get suprised once I buy it and actually drive it.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Vehicle you show up in makes a difference, as well as indicating that the only way they will sell the car to you is if they allow a test drive. My purchasing the Evo VIII is dependent on the test drive, and I told the dealer that straight up front. I have test driven a Cobra as well as a 350Z Track model, both cases had no problems as I had pulled up in my Lightning and made the situation clear from the start. Heck, the 350Z salesman handed me the keys and said "See you when you get back" as my wife and I got into the car. Can't beat that, and it guaranteed that if the Evo disappoints (or fails to ever show) that I will buy the Z from him.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

2Cool, how did you like the 350Z track model? I've been wanting to drive one but I cant find one in the area! They are all pre-sold here in so cal. IS it worth the 35 - 37K? I'm going to test drive a Cobra tonight as well.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mark F
No I don't think so.

I don't think I have been allowed to test drive any of the last 3 cars I bought......the Evo 8 (which should be in ANY DAY!), the S2000, or the NSX.....damn.....just occurred to me.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Meeyatch1

I don't think I have been allowed to test drive any of the last 3 cars I bought......the Evo 8 (which should be in ANY DAY!), the S2000, or the NSX.....damn.....just occurred to me.
Damn, Meeyatch1 do you need a new best friend....sounds like you got too much $ and don't know what to do with it all.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Coolguy949, I really really really liked the smooth feel of the Z. I had a silver '90 300ZX TT that I loved, and the new one reminds me of it a lot in feel and fit and finish. It accelerates smooth and silky, no sudden burst of speed rather a continuous acceleration. Brakes hard and fast, but has a bit if understeer noticeable in hard cornering. The ride is a bit stiff, but I like it that way. Have to give it a thumbs up, just wish it had a bit more room in the hatch area and maybe a bit more power, just because.

As for the Cobra... it accelerates like a bat out of hell, sounds cool, but all in all its still a Mustang. If you don't know what it is, it looks like every other 6 cylinder out there. Plus it feels heavy, and had too much body roll for my liking. this from a guy who has had Mustangs for the past 2 decades, and traded an '01 GT for an '01 Cobra, finally frustrated into trading to my current Lightning. To be honest, the Lightning is the best of all the Fords I have mentioned here...
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Did you think the 350Z was fast or was it boring? I've heard some magazines rate it on the slow side and some say it's quick but boring. I'm used to driving a turbo and getting that mad rush of speed.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

I test drove the one I am buying later this week today....before doing any paperwork. I have test driven M5's and M3's as well, but only because I have a proven relationship with the dealership/sales management and team.

People expecting to test drive the Evo without money down are going to have a tough go of it due to availability.

BTW- The car is really nice. Very solidly built, with no squeeks or rattles (at least not yet;-)and the handling was very firm. This car reminds me a lot of the old E36 M3 with respect to ride and handling. The M3 had a very connected feel, and the EVO VIII takes it a step firmer without being too abrupt overall. If one word had to descibe the feel, I would say it is "agile".

Not a car for those looking for a firm but comfortable sport luxury like an Audi S4. This is truly a no-compromise vehicle which will make the new Evo an enthusiasts dream, but may leave a few wondering what they just bought.

Hmmmm... I guess getting a test drive really could be an important thing to ensure people are happy with their purchase!

Last edited by N10S; Mar 11, 2003 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Test drive?