Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Would "the mothership" like to respond to all these 180awhp threads??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GaryChios

Quench, now thats a buch of BS. No motor likes detonation!
Gary,
I didn't say it liked detonation! Hell who in their right mind would say that? I simply stated that it could live with minor detonation a whole lot longer than a some what fragile EJ. A knock count of 1 makes me nervous in a WRX, and yet you guys would totally blow that off.

But what the hell do I know?

And you know as well as I do that quench area is NOT BS. The main reason the 4g63 can make so much power is wrapped up in its combustion chamber design. Makes me jealous.

-Nathan
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by nicktckhoo
wait a minute... aren't we saying the same things? I didn't elaborate enough maybe.

I apologize if I gave out the wrong info due to semantics.

nick

Actually you did say it right..

the 13B is probably the most det. resistant of all 3.. But it also happens to be very bad for it.

The 4G63 is probably second. and ej20s, from what the above say seems to have the worse.. I have not done any of my own testing on the ej20 really though..

-Zach
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:11 PM

oh I get it now. I interchanged the 2 phrases detonation resistance and withstanding detonation.

Nick
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Oh.. My head hurts!!
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Jonasan50
Oh.. My head hurts!!
I could not agree more
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:21 PM

Tell me about it. I don't even have an evo
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nmyeti

Nick,
if your going to quote me, do it right.
Better yet, don’t quote me…

The 4g63 can stand up to more detonation than either the EJ20 or the 13B. The 13B tends to pop seals when it detonates, and the EJ20 kills rings pretty quickly. On the other hand the 4G63 can live a good bit longer with minor detonation and has enough quench area to make you cream your panties.

-Nathan
Nathan - - will you guys be making any TurboXs stage kits for the EVO? If so mark me down for a stage 4 - thanks
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:26 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Nathan - - will you guys be making any TurboXs stage kits for the EVO? If so mark me down for a stage 4 - thanks
wow.. such dedication.. hah
--bobby
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to break away from the quench areas for a moment, but:

a: As Shiv mentioned, at 600 miles the car isn't fully broken in, that's just Mitsu's recommendation to keep you from hammering the crap out of it when it's absolutely brand new. It'll still be breaking in for at least another 400, and I wouldn't be surprised if an Evo with a couple oil changes on the books produces better numbers. How much better? Who knows.

b: At this point, if you have the car, who cares what numbers it produces. When you drive it, is it fast? I mean, very fast? Does it feel like a car with 180 horse to the wheels? I mean, really if you feel like you've been ripped off, just cut your losses and sell the thing on eBay before the prices come down.

Just my 0.0002.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
Two, all motors were tested in CA with 91 octane gas. We know from testing that a few extra octane points is worth up to 8 or 9 wheel hp. Furthermore, it is likely that Mitsubishi makes its claims assuming nothing less than the 93 octane fuel most states get.
Maybe this doesn't apply here, but speaking from my experience tuning the mkIII Supra, 8-9 whp sounds conservative. I know that the Supra ecu will pull the timing if you run lower octane fuel. However, I have to admit I don't know how serious the effect is with 91 vs. 93 even on my car.

Have you verified whether the ecu is pulling the timing back at all? I would guess it is. Especially at WOT, given that your peak hp comes on sooner than advertised. That says to me the ecu is pulling back at upper rpm's.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:32 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently people claim the evo running mid 13's. The fact of the matter is that their evo is probably at around 700mi. My question is how does the area under the curve look Would that explain the high performance low hp?
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:43 PM

gtr: Have you seen what your average DSM does on a 16g and pump gas?. There is no reason whatsoever that an Evo8 wont make around 300 wheel hp with a boost controller and a SAFC on 94 octane.

Last edited by rdrkt; Mar 12, 2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by rollo

b: At this point, if you have the car, who cares what numbers it produces. When you drive it, is it fast? I mean, very fast? Does it feel like a car with 180 horse to the wheels?
The cars we've tested actually put ~180 hp to the wheels. The very same way air-cooled 911 Turbos put 300-310hp to the wheels. Horsepower is a quantifiable unit of measurment- just like an inch, meter or pound. Our dyno measures it properly. This is not hard to do with the necessary components and design. It measures by its 4 load cells mounted tangent to four arm of known length. The retarding on the rollers is provided by eddy currents brakes. From some simple calculations, this derives torque. From torque, hp is calculated by RPM which is determined by either inductive ignition pick-up or even a simple gearing calculations (which can yield slight error due to a tire's sidewall deflection). The fact that torque is actually measured, real-time, makes it possible for the Dyno Dynamics dyno to graph realtime during the run and not afterwards as one expects with Dynojets, Dynapacks, Mustangs, etc,.)

A Dynojet, on the other hand, measures hp by measuring the time it takes to spin a big roller of known mass up to speed. It then compares the results to a big "look-up table" and derives an estimated wheel hp output. It does not actually measure hp as would an engine dyno or a proper load-bearing dyno. It is also interesting to note that Dynojet Research used to publish, in their tech papers, the method in which it used to derive estimated hp. In it, it described an extra ~15% positive correction factor to account for "unnatural load characteristics." I'm not sure what is unnatural about load but it does explain why the Dynojet reads higher than any other dyno in any other part of the world. The problem is that, due to its low cost and affiliation with NASCAR, (which resulted in its ubiquity in the US market-- but unpopularity everywhere else in the world), the Dynojet has become the standard in US. And in doing so, US enthusiasts have become accustomed to high wheel hp numbers and low driveline loss figures. It's a hard habit to break.

Just my 2c,
shiv
www.vishnutuning.com

PS. For those customers who only can relate to Dynojet hp, it's easy to add in a little "Dynojet correctoin" which bumps up the entire curve by ~15%. It's nonsense and I make that perfectly clear. But some people want a bigger number to show their friends instead of having to explain the above dyno tech.

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Mar 12, 2003 at 04:02 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:50 PM

Shiv: I have no idea why you are using that dyno. They do make AWD dynojets. If I was someone that sold tuning services and turbo packages I would want my numbers to be comparable to everyone else’s. This 17% difference seems bad for business to me.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 04:04 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Originally posted by rdrkt
Shiv: I have no idea why you are using that dyno. They do make AWD dynojets. If I was someone that sold tuning services and turbo packages I would want my numbers to be comparable to everyone else’s. This 17% difference seems bad for business to me.
The Dynojet AWD dyno is really more like two 2WD units put together... they roll independantly of each other and thus can put excess stress on the center differential. If you do a search there should be tons of info on this. I wish someone around here had a Dyno Dynamics unit to use

Mark

Quick Reply: Would "the mothership" like to respond to all these 180awhp threads??