Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sleepers ????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2005, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am starting to like the wingless look more and more
Old Oct 4, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aux.
I can work on anything in the Air Force but so far i have worked on F-15 C,D, and E's anywhere from 1978 models -2000 . I am an environmental electrician. Part of my jub is air flow throughout the aircraft. I deal with Turbines as big as 6 year olds and intercoolers big enough to lower 600 degree fehrenheit to 150 degree air.
That's cool. I used to own the validation of F100-PW-229 engines which power that bird. Loved every minute of time I spent at Pratt & Whitney.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

My car is stock on the outside, but the engine bay is another story... Does that make it a sleeper. I just dropped it off at the shop today to begin the transformation.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

take off the wing, evoVII tails, debadge and paint the brakes black that will throw them off. then youll be able to burn vettes with your 4-door econobox haha
Old Oct 4, 2005, 06:48 PM
Account Disabled

Buy a Galant VR4, that'll fool everyone.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

IMO Evo was not meant to be a sleeper. Geo Metro with an Evo engine would be an ultimate sleeper
Can you guys imagine having something like that, everyone would be like , or not because that thing would have no traction.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aux.
Anybody out there opt to go with a sleeper instead of full blown race look ? I was thinking about going with a sleeper motiffe.
By nature, the Evo cannot be a sleeper unless you REMOVE things and make it look like something it's not. The closest thing to a sleeper we have is the RS.

What you are really describing is what 90% of us already do - do power mods while looking mostly stock. You created this thread making it sound like MOST people do body kits, but it's quite the opposite. Most of us have nothing visible on the exterior except for the exhaust tip. After that, people have rims and springs. Next, people have front lips and canards, but there's far less of those than the type you are referring to, so in actuality, your idea is quite common.

My 12-flat Evo MR has no visible mod except for the exhaust. I have no aftermarket gauges and nothing in my engine bay other than a black MBC that is bolted to the radiator underneath the intake snorkel. It looks extremely stock and boggles people's mind at the track...
Old Oct 4, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Sleeper? WTF, have you looked at an EVO lately? Stock, they look obnoxiously fast.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 08:45 PM

I don't really think my EVO RS looks very fast. Especially from the side. It's a frickin 4 door. I disagree that painting the intercooler will ruin intercooler efficiency. A very light coat of black paint should work fine, it's a great way to hide the intercooler. Furthermore, anyone who knows cars at all knows what an EVO looks like, there's certainly no hiding it. But there are things you can do to make it less obvious.

IMO, if you want a sleeper, do this:

Paint the intercooler black.

Use stock wheels or boring looking silver wheels (no 19 inch volks!).

Lose the wing.

Start with a boring color, like white or silver. Those or us with red or yellow EVOs are basically screwed. Those of you who bought a white RS are ahead of the game.

Run a quiet exhaust, and paint the muffler and tip black. (no 5 inch burnt titanium tip, sorry!)

No carbon fiber. Anywhere. It's only for F1 cars, space shuttles, and racer wannabes anyway.

No bright blue 5 inch tach or obvious bright colored gauges.

Drive like your grandma. Buzzing around town looking like your always in a hurry will only bring attention to yourself from cops and pissed off soccor moms in SUVs.

No vanity plates.

Don't lower the car much. People notice when your muffler is dragging on the ground and you only have 1 inch of ground clearance.

Debadge the trunk, or at least take off the evolution badge. Also lose your EVOLUTION VIII jdm badge you stuck on there thinking you were cool.

Drop kick your altezza style lights into your nearest landfill. Replace with red Evo 7 lights or similar.

Paint your big red brake calipers black. You might as well do this before your clearcoat comes off and they start looking like crap anyway.

A quiet BOV is a must. You friends may think your aftermarket BOV sounds cool, but it gives you away.

I just pulled this list out of my ****, feel free to disagree with me.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 08:49 PM

Go with the no wing look and keep the rest of the exterior stock. I think the WW is the most sleeper-ish color.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stvbreal
That AMS Evo needs to lose the wing to be a sleeper.

This is a sleeper. Plain Jane with nothing special.

Very nice. Would you mind sharing where you got that trunk lip, I also took my wing off and was looking for a lip like that, Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

minus painting the brakes and intercooler i'd say i'm well on my way with the White RS. People get PWN3D all the time and thier faces make me smile.

My suggestion is TINT. It hides your rollcage, guages, race seats, turbo gadgets and what-not.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 09:28 PM

Making mine to be a sleeper!!!
Old Oct 4, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

sleeper in an evo? um...is that possiable? i wouldnt think you could unless you make it look like a bottom of the barrel lancer
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

RS = Real Sleeper...

At first I thought the non color-keyed door handles and mirrors made it look so tacky, but now that I've gotten used to the car I love it. It totally make the car look like some $9,995 pos Lancer ES or something, haha

I will always leave it wingless, and at least for a while it'll be on the stock wheels/suspension, plus it's debadged, so only some people even know what the car is.