Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

hurry!! how to remove radiator fan!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation hurry!! how to remove radiator fan!!

im trying to install my mbc tonight and can't get that damn radiator fan out of the way?!?! how to do it!!! how!!!please help!!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sirloin1219
im trying to install my mbc tonight and can't get that damn radiator fan out of the way?!?! how to do it!!! how!!!please help!!
I gave you the tip in the last thread. After you remove the airbox, disconnect the wires and connectors that go to the fan, then unscrew the top 2 screws/bolts on the fan. Also, disconnect the intercooler piping from the bracket to the right of the fan. This is a 12mm bolt, so you can't miss it. All the rest are 10mm. This will allow you to push the piping/hosing out of the way allowing more room to remove the fan. Also, there is a bracket that the fan controller is connected to (until you remove it). After having the controller disconnected along with all associated wires, you can bend that bracket in so that the fan will clear everything and pull out at an angle. Don't disconnect the radiator hose, but remember that after the fan is disconnected everywhere, you have to lift it slightly, then tilt it at a 45-degree angle, then pull straight out at that same angle. Hope this helps...
Old Oct 20, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

There is no need to remove the fan. Where gloves to avoid having you skin turn into roast beef.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

ill try that thx again warrtalon, but damn i did the 12mm bolt and still couldnt get it out..but ill try again, damn that thing is stuck on though
Old Oct 20, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

no need to remove it but it does make thing a little easier.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

make sure the plug at the bottom is unplugged and it should slide up and out on the track
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

well after numerous tries..i found out what's stopping it.. there is this metal peice on the right hand side that i just can't get the thiing around...ill try again tomorro =( oh well another day.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

well after numerous tries..i found out what's stopping it.. there is this metal peice on the right hand side that i just can't get the thiing around...ill try again tomorro =( oh well another day.
It's not the bracket I told you to bend?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

no it's not the bracket..i took that off before..but that black piece on the radiator fan is blocking me...i can most likely take it off if i take off the big coolant hose on the top but then coolant starts to get all over the place
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

no it's not the bracket..i took that off before..but that black piece on the radiator fan is blocking me...i can most likely take it off if i take off the big coolant hose on the top but then coolant starts to get all over the place
The bracket doesn't come off. It's part of the fan shroud itself. The radiator extension you're talking about is why I told you that you had to turn the fan at a 45-degree angle then pull it out, you nut. That's how you clear the radiator hose.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

yea tah'ts about where i am right now..but the sun just went down so i have to work on it tomorrow..but i basically get the gist of how it needs to go in. i need to bend the radiator hose though a tad more for it to fit just right. i hope it's not this hard putting it back in
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:11 PM

remove the two radiator hold down's. this will allow you to tilt the radiator to the left (movong the filler neck to the left) giving you more room
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

yea tah'ts about where i am right now..but the sun just went down so i have to work on it tomorrow..but i basically get the gist of how it needs to go in. i need to bend the radiator hose though a tad more for it to fit just right. i hope it's not this hard putting it back in
You should not even have to touch the radiator hose. YOu pull the fan out of its little holders at the bottom, then it's free to move around however you want it to. You then dip it down a bit to allow room to turn it 45 degrees, then just work it out of there moving back and forth. The radiator hose doesn't get in the way at all if you do it right.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

well if u can't fully remove it. i believe you should be able to atleast raise it at an angle give you enough room coming from the airbox area to put in your arm to work on the hoses for the mbc.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Ummm...I believe the OP doesn't drive an Evo anymore