Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weight Reduction on Evo 8 05

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't agree with people saying "add more horsepower to counter weight!"

Depending on your style of racing, adding things to increase horsepower might not be your best option. Especially in autocross and to some extent in road racing.

Weight savings really helps improve the Evos handling. This won't apply to you if you only drag race or just daily drive the thing, of course.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tsurara
I really don't agree with people saying "add more horsepower to counter weight!"

Depending on your style of racing, adding things to increase horsepower might not be your best option. Especially in autocross and to some extent in road racing.

Weight savings really helps improve the Evos handling. This won't apply to you if you only drag race or just daily drive the thing, of course.

well im not building drag car. to clear that up. im building a track car for road racing. and will also drive on street. becasue i like street racing. anyhow. if any one has tips on things and or know were i can get aftermarked parts. that are light as hell plz help me. thanks. and if anyone knows how diff it is to take out the ac and or is there a how to or somthing would be a great help will do that this weekend.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
hit up the gym
seriously though, there's a reason why most professional racers are in pretty good shape.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
seriously though, there's a reason why most professional racers are in pretty good shape.

thanks i em in good shape. 5'11" 155lb. looking good. .to me
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Trade those leather seats for my cloth seats. That will save you a few lbs.

Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boyd494
Trade those leather seats for my cloth seats. That will save you a few lbs.

right....

if anything im geting once pice seat. that is like 8lb lol. not stock seats you crazy. i need diff kind of seat anyhow. to hold me in. with nothing around me feels so werid.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
why does everyone say that cf stuff is not worth it... when you're at hte end of things you can do... and that's the last thing left... would you just not do it cuz it's not worth it?

worth is totally subjective...
Old Nov 9, 2005, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

u have to remember that the cf hood an trunk will save u like 13 lbs......and i dont even know how much the fenders save you and if u dont like the look of cf u can always paint it......lol wanna trade/sell ur ssl package?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
why does everyone say that cf stuff is not worth it... when you're at hte end of things you can do... and that's the last thing left... would you just not do it cuz it's not worth it?

worth is totally subjective...
From what i understand, the stock aluminum hood weighs nearly the same as a carbon fibre hood. It's just not as strong.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...r+hood+weights

a link of dry carbon hood weights... the good ones are generally 3-7 pounds lighter and just as strong.

i believe the lightest is the gialla all cf full race hood which weighs a scant 8 pounds (forgot where i got this info) but it's basically only one tiny sheet of cf for the "skin" of the hood and significantly less ribbing.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

i was saying that aluminum was not as strong as CF. good link. dry carbon fibre =$$$
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah... i mean the thing is when we're dealing with such low mass pieces, they're gonna break if you mess with them. i mean i'm sure none of us would let ANYONE sit on ANY hood that goes on the evo... cuz it's just not gonna hold... not even that hott *** 100 pound asian girl...
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
well im not building drag car. to clear that up. im building a track car for road racing. and will also drive on street. becasue i like street racing. anyhow. if any one has tips on things and or know were i can get aftermarked parts. that are light as hell plz help me. thanks. and if anyone knows how diff it is to take out the ac and or is there a how to or somthing would be a great help will do that this weekend.
Street racing sucks!!!!! It was fun when I was pre family man, but once you have been in enough cars and hung out with enough car guys and especially the older you get street racing just seems stupid.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
oh yeah... i mean the thing is when we're dealing with such low mass pieces, they're gonna break if you mess with them. i mean i'm sure none of us would let ANYONE sit on ANY hood that goes on the evo... cuz it's just not gonna hold... not even that hott *** 100 pound asian girl...
yeah i grimace every time i close the aluminum hood.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, you are right about the weight of those you've taken off would be close to 100-200lb altogether.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction on Evo 8 05