Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New EVO owner

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New EVO owner

Hello all, I am a new owner of a 2003 Yellow EVO 8, I am not new to the DSM world. I have a 1998 Eagle Talon TSi I have had since new, only 47,000 miles on it and slightly mods, 3" TR&D Cat-back, K&N filtercharger, Brode upper IC pipe w/ 1G BOV, 6es NGK plugs w/ Magnecor 8.5mm. All these mods have got me on the dyno at 194hp to the pavement. Anyway, I have been doing alot of research and it seems Wartalon is on the money with lots of ideas. I just have some questions on a few things.

1) I have a K&N filtercharger on my Talon why is it not worth it to do this mod on the EVO? Keeping the stock airbox with a K&N drop in will be the best bet from what I have researched. Why is it a open intake not work well on the EVO and does on the 2G DSM(talon)?

2) I dont want a loud cat-back like the TR&D on my Talon and was thinking I would go with a quiet one, have not been able to find any dyno number increases on the Greddy SP2 or the RSR EXMAG cat-back but think these are the 2 best ones to get for the noise factor but still make some power. I wanted the HKS Hi-Power but I dont like the exhaust angled I like it straight out the back plus it seems like it is kinda loud.

Anyway Wartalon, you seem to be the one to get the right kind of info on this stuff. This is what I had planned and you can tell me if you think it is will give me what I want which is 300hp.

Greddy SP2 cat-back
K&N dropin
upper ic pipe w/ jdm dv BOV
reflash ecu

Oh and I will be doing the gauge package : boost, egt, oil pressure

Let me know what you think, and you guys seem to be way cool, I am really liking this forum and I love the EVO

ScottTSi/EVO

2003 EVO 8
1998 Talon TSi
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

welcome to the club brother
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

I've heard many say good things about the Fujisubo RM01A... very quiet supposedly, almost like stock.

I would do a downpipe and hi-flow cat also....
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your only looking for 300hp (crank) which is only slightly more than your EVO is rated for. Why not just flash, filter, boost controller, and call it a day? That way you can have your quiet stock exhaust and 300hp all in one. Your giving up alot of HP by not going with a 3'' TBE, but you don't want the power, so just do the above and you there.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:45 AM

I do want a tbe, but only have like 1 year left on the warranty, then I will be getting the downpipe and highflow cat, I just want the exhaust to make a little more noise than stock but not be SO loud, plus I want a fully SS exhaust. And thanks for the warm welcome

ScottTSi/EVO
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

cough pics cough
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

hello and welcome
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kee1pride
welcome to the club brother
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

wlecome and post some pics
Old Nov 8, 2005, 03:46 PM

Can anyone tell me about the questions I asked? I am real curious cause I want to do the mods asap. Thanks for any replys

ScottTSi/EVO
Old Nov 8, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome, mods look good to me. Although drop the upper IC pipe and get the lower, most people don't get anything from the upper pipe.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Ok first, having a tbe, Kn filter, MBC, flash wil get u approx around 50-80 whp. So ur evo is prolly gonna be easily pushing over 330HP.

Ok keepin the stock airbox is a very good idea and the drop in KN is the best. B/c the stock airbox can do really well wit the stock turbo up to 400hp or sumthin relative number next to that. The stock airbox pulls in cold air and does its job well.

Also excellent idea gettin the JDM evo BOV, it can hold up to 25 psi and is really good bang for the buck. It serves its purpose extremely well and i can say that 99% of the ppl who bought it are extremely happy wit it.

Now u want a quieter exhaust. There are many that are out there, there has been a thread on this, you can look into it (Also they have pics b/c yea i agree wit u i dont like the angled ones, i like mines straight and nice)

Those are the first and basic mods that an evo SHOULD get. You'll get a good amount of power out and wont blow a hole in your pocket. I congratulate you and hopefully when i get my Evo ( ill be doin the same as thing as you )
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:05 PM
Former Sponsor

If your keeping the stock cat/DP most exhausts with the exception of the Ti models should not be overpowering. I installed a Buschur catback with their straight thru muffler on a friends car and the noise was noticeable but not like a deep resonation on the highway like my own TBE with test pipe can have sometimes.

The biggest reason to keep the stock airbox is to keep your air temps down. If you plan to run stock boost levels the stock BOV will for the most part be sufficient. The MR BOV is very nice also. A K&N dropin is ok but for the best "whoosh" sound for the ricer in all of us an open element air intake will result in the most fun factor.

The Injen intake pipe set that I have is very very nice. I would suggest this because it comes with verifiable gains and is very well pieced. The lower pipe will give you more power than the upper, so I would get both.

The Intake, catback, MBC, Flash and BOV on an 03' should get you close to 300whp. The defi gauges that go in a custom gauge panel where the radio is look very very nice. Then a radio relocation kit to put your CD Player where it belongs.

Good Luck and welcome!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

how much of a difference between your Eagle vs Evo??
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the Evo family!