Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSMLink - Worthless with the Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2003, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSMLink - Worthless with the Evo?

Has anyone who's taken delivery of their Evo had the opportunity to connect a DSMLink to it? And a related question for the folks with Evos - have you connected an A/F meter to the front O2 sensor yet?

Do these tools work as well with an Evo as they do with a 2nd Gen DSM?
Old Mar 18, 2003, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Bump...

I'm curious as well.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

OK. I sent a query to DSMLink.com and received this response:
> Has DSMLink been shown to work with the 2003 U.S. Lancer Evolution? If
> not, is it because you have not tested, or because it was tested and
> failed?
>
It will not work without a great deal of effort. I just picked up my
2003 EVO today. :-)

Thomas Dorris
Old Mar 18, 2003, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Tom said, you can't use DSMLink on an Evo. However, I thought for sure I have heard about a similar ECU program for the Evo. Not made by Tom, of course.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
As Tom said, you can't use DSMLink on an Evo. However, I thought for sure I have heard about a similar ECU program for the Evo. Not made by Tom, of course.
Given that the ECU for the U.S. 2003 Evo has been accessible for about two weeks, I'd say B.S.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 08:51 PM

maybe 's Ralliart
Old Mar 18, 2003, 09:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If your looking for something that can read your ECU's sensors and trouble codes (not program it obviously) you can use almost any OBD-II Compliant scanner.. go to www.scantool.net You can hook up your Laptop to the (ISO version works with 95 and later DSM's, Chrysler, most japanese and european) I used it with my neon, and will try it on my EVO when I pick it up tomorrow.. But I do know it reads statistics in real-time (engine speed, map pressure/vacuum, temp, RPM, and any other sensor that is logged in the ECU) plus trouble codes and will reset the MIL (check engine) light. And this tool is generic.. there are several OBD-II data loggers that will capture sensor readings that you can map.. I'm in the process of writing an application that will do the same in real-time.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

And just so you know.. Most OBD-II Compliant ECU's contain commands that allow some level of adjustment, some have the ability to override fuel cutoff or RPM limiters (used typically for police vehicles) Almost all of the commands are undocumented and would require alot of research to find them. I'm sure the EVO is no different.. Reprogramming the ECU requires an understanding of the "Matrix" used by the computer, the parameters appear in a grid, and each column would represent RPM increment, and each row may represent a particular setting for a particular parameter (fuel mixture, injector duty cycle, external trigger, etc) Which is encrypted and flashed into the EEProm..
Old Mar 18, 2003, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately, the OBDII data rate is a bit slow to get much useful data out of it. I used a datalogger from www.easesim.com and then from www.pocketlogger.com . The most I could ever datalog at once and still get a semi-useful data rate was RPM, O2 voltage, and timing advance. Datalog more than that, and the number of samples per second is pretty much useless.

As well, OBDII doesn't allow you to datalog the really interesting stuff like knock retard.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a DSM owner.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
And just so you know.. Most OBD-II Compliant ECU's contain commands that allow some level of adjustment, some have the ability to override fuel cutoff or RPM limiters (used typically for police vehicles) Almost all of the commands are undocumented and would require alot of research to find them. I'm sure the EVO is no different.. Reprogramming the ECU requires an understanding of the "Matrix" used by the computer, the parameters appear in a grid, and each column would represent RPM increment, and each row may represent a particular setting for a particular parameter (fuel mixture, injector duty cycle, external trigger, etc) Which is encrypted and flashed into the EEProm..
DSMs contain none of this. There is no way to adjust anything in the stock DSM ECU via OBDII. The Evo might, though.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 11:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Obviously newer computers have gotten more advanced.. But your right about the data rate.. 9600 baud can only get so much information.. But it is just a diagnostic tool.. and most of the later cars have 'features' that can be enabled and disabled (Daytime running lights on GM cars is a really good example) through the ECU... There are some cars that let you change 'programmed settings' by doing some weird things like turning the ignition switch on, while pressing the cruise control switch.. or something equally strange.. The good thing is with enough research, there are many undocumented features.. the bad news is ECU swaps become more difficult if it has alot of other 'features' that it controls. Earlier cars definitely don't have much flexibility, and early 95 and older cars are trivially OBD-II Compliant.. I do know from trying this on several japanese and a few chryslers and a BMW, is there are quite a few readings you can collect.. any sensor that affects the tuning of the car should be able to be sampled. Whether you have software that can capture it.. and whether at 9600 baud you can sample the data at a rate fast enough to be useful, really depends on how much info you want. I did discover on my Neon's ECU that there were some tuning parameters that can be altered, given its pretty minimal.. it was interesting that I was able to disable the fuel cutoff (top speed limiter) and there was some 'tuning bias' that could be set to compensate for high altitude driving. Hey, nothing is perfect, but the first key to tuning your car, and improving its performance, is a clear understanding of what you already have, and where it can be improved. Otherwise changes you make for improvement can be a little arbitrary.. especially if you mix and match components.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
not to resurect the dead but i'm picking up my DSM link later this month from Tom Dorris him self and intend to do a through write up on it. does any one else Have link and want to chime in w/ advice?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you using dsm link for the evo? I replied to a show and shine thread not too long ago and one of the guys was using link for his evo. It was actually pretty neat! Also, the 99 eclipse gsx ecu are open just like the evo ecu if I'm not mistaken and do not require dsm link to be tuned.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

My question is why? The ECUFlash with mods is better then DSMLink IMO. Plus at the cost of a few bucks for the cable and software still way cheaper. I just dont see the point of trying to make the wheel harder to make when its already made.

Dont get me wrong DSMLink is great for DSMs that are not ready to step up to standalones. But the Evo ECU has produced several 800 whp cars with the right tuners behind the laptop.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AWDBus
My question is why? The ECUFlash with mods is better then DSMLink IMO. Plus at the cost of a few bucks for the cable and software still way cheaper. I just dont see the point of trying to make the wheel harder to make when its already made.

Dont get me wrong DSMLink is great for DSMs that are not ready to step up to standalones. But the Evo ECU has produced several 800 whp cars with the right tuners behind the laptop.
your 100% correct the factory open source (ECUFLASH/EVOSCAN) can provide results but its not even close to being user friendly. my friend pulled both up on his laptop and it was clear and easy to use LINK vice ECUflash, also some of the tuners in my area told me strait up that the time required to read the logs and make the adjustments for tuning is 2 to 1 for link and flash. they said dyno tuning w/ link should run around 500$ vs dyno tune w/ flash is 700$. that and i want to learn how to trouble shoot and diagnose my own problems w/out having to go to a shop. EVOscan and ECU flash are great but the manual is almost 700 pages, i'll have both downloaded to my laptop and i'll do screen shots for my thread when i get every thing going.

Quick Reply: DSMLink - Worthless with the Evo?