Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

O2 Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2006, 09:43 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sleeper2G
any time the emmissions devices are not working/signaling the ecu the engine will be put in the old "DSM limp mode" running really rich and all kinds of timing pulled
Any time? No. Nothing to do with the rear O2 sensor has any effect on engine operation. I even ran a few track days with the CEL on and there was no problem.

Dave
Old Feb 8, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kbp2025
Ok, so I've searched and found nothing to answer my question. What happens if you just cut the wires on your back 02 sensor and just leave it like that? Since it doesn't affect engine performance or anything like that whats the use for it besides to plug the damn hole. I'm saying this becasue I used the spark plug defowler trick and it rubbed my damn 02 sensor against the body of my car and the sensor broke. I'm talkin wires were disconnected and all...so I just cut the wires and screwed it back in the cat delete. Is this gonna hurt my car at all? Thanks, Kevin
What catback are you running?

Which Help Part Number did you buy for the rear o2?

I used 42002 and have not had any problems for a year now.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by djh
Any time? No. Nothing to do with the rear O2 sensor has any effect on engine operation. I even ran a few track days with the CEL on and there was no problem.

Dave
Actually yes it does. If you are running rich, you are running in safe mode and losing a slight amount of power ... Of course there will be no problem the engine is running in safe mode.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think there is a limp mode for a secondary o2 code.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

I used the spark plug anti-fowler trick and it has worked perfect for about 10k miles. I followed how to do it on the one thread on here that everyone seems to follow. I beleive that thread showed using 2 anti-fowlers. When I did this, my sensor rubbed bad, when I only used one, no more rubbing and still no CEL. The car does run really really rich without the cat though. I have to remove the carbon from my bumper every time I wash the car. As for the rear O2 sensor effecting performance....It is my understanding that it is the difference in flow between the first and second sensor that determines if the car is running rich or not (or if there is a cat or not). Similar to how a thermocouple measures the difference in resistance between two dissimilar metals. A thermocouple is calibrated to measure the difference in current between two different types of metal wires and then spit out a reading the same way the ECU measures the difference in flow and spits out a reading. I may be totally wrong, but it makes sense.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 08:12 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Actually yes it does. If you are running rich, you are running in safe mode and losing a slight amount of power ... Of course there will be no problem the engine is running in safe mode.
We're talking about the REAR O2 sensor. It has NOTHING to do with engine operation. If the front one goes then you're stuck in limp mode.

Dave
Old Feb 9, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

If you pull the plug down that the O2 sensor wires come through I believe there is a connecter where you can disconnect the O2 sensor. You can then remove the hanging wires from the bottom of your car.

-Paul