Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driving tech tip at the track~KEEP THE BOOST ALIVE!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving tech tip at the track~KEEP THE BOOST ALIVE!

anyone shift 1st-2nd gear at around 5-6k rpm range instead of 7k???
cause i noticed that if i shift at 7k,,, less boost therefore less power....and slower at the track

2nd to 3rd and 3rd to4th gear is not that big of problems...

the main point is that you need to keep the boost up every single gears>?
and shift fast too,.,,,,
one of my friend who is really good driver shows me how to drive ....the way he drives and shifts was amazing,,,feels alot faster ...it was such a big difference between me and him driving on my evo.....

Old Dec 21, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

don't let the boost falls down on you...
Old Dec 21, 2005, 06:22 PM

it didn't work that way in my GSX..... shifting earlier made me bog a lil bit in 2nd..... not that much... but it was faster when i went to redline
Old Dec 21, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shifting at 7k doesn't cause you to have less boost. It's not about where your boost is in the previous gear; it's all about the power band. You shift late right after peak HP (6500-6800rpm) so that you are in the optimum part of the power band of the next gear. Shifting at 5-6k just makes no sense. I do shift a little before 7k on the 1-2, but that's only because the boost drops off faster after a hard launch than it does when accelerating normally through the later gears. Also, there is less load in 1st, so the boost tapers sooner.

I would not recommend doing what yesevo is saying if you want good 1/4-mile times.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

yeah its got to be around 6k -6.5k in first gear....
I do shift a little before 7k on the 1-2, but that's only because the boost drops off faster after a hard launch than it does when accelerating normally through the later gears. Also, there is less load in 1st, so the boost tapers sooner
this is what i was trying to say,,. thanks~