Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

VisionFCI:

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2002, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow VisionFCI:

Quote from Autoweek:

(12:07 Jan. 10, 2002)
Mitsubishi to bring Lancer Evolution to U.S.

Mitsubishi's Lancer Evolution, an all-wheel-drive, high-performance subcompact sedan that has received acclaim in international rally events, will go on sale in the United States next year.

"It will be the flagship for the Mitsubishi brand overall," Pierre Gagnon, president of Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America Inc., said Friday, Jan. 4., at the Los Angeles auto show. "It will allow our customers to emulate rally drivers at an affordable price."

Sales begin in January 2003.

The sedan, known by enthusiasts as the "Evo," is powered by a 252-hp 2.0-liter, turbocharged inline four. Recaro seats and Brembo disc brakes are standard.

Gagnon said the car will be priced below $30,000.
:soapbox:
Old Feb 7, 2002, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

That good news for the stateside boys but what are the chances of bringing a RHD Japan Spec EVO VII into the states for the road?
Old Feb 7, 2002, 09:09 PM

contact...

You would have to find an ICI and a RI. They would have to petion the car, and have to convert it. Cost is high!

Now WHEN the EVO7 comes out, you could petition the car as a similar model. You would still need the ICI inspection ($1500 each retest!) and it would still have to be converted by a RI. The advantage is that if the car has a comparable model (and no, the base lancer IS NOT a comparable), the easier it would be to find an RI that will accept the car. Don't forget bonds equal to 150% the value of the car, the waiting periods (up to six months if everything goes well), plus the cost of meeting US specs (around $6k for comparable model). All said and done, you should just buy a US Evo...and save yourself the trouble.

If the car fails to meet US spec after conversion, you will have to either EXPORT it or DESTROY IT. ewwwww. Now some have tried to tear the car into pieces, shipping it over that way, and rebuilding it and titling it as a kit car...but the states are getting smarter...so don't chance it.

Other than that...no way.

And for clarification...RHD is LEGAL in the USA. It doesn't have to be LHD. So many people don't believe it, but it's true.

Charles
Old Feb 7, 2002, 10:13 PM

If u guys need more info http://www.motorex.net/faq.html
check that out
That page has a link on how to import the car and how much its gonna cost. All RiceRocket was talking about is also including in the links..
Yeah RHD is legal if the company can prove that it is like almost 100% similar to its LHD make...if no LHD were made, then its just simple crash tests and so and so i believe.
Old Feb 8, 2002, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

bleh 250 hp...that jus doenst seem appealing anymore. i want 280 hp! if its 250...i might jus have to go with a bmw 330i instead.
Old Feb 8, 2002, 05:54 AM

I contacted a company called R390 motorsports out of the San Fernando Valley about importing an Evo IV to America I was told I could get a GSR for around 14000 shipped, but that would be in pieces it would have to be reassembled and registered as a kit car. The guy wanted cash for the deal and said there was really no way of telling what condition the car would be in when it got here. I really considered this because I know the evo we get is going to be severly watered down (I hope that does'nt happen). I am going to wait and see what we get over here, but if its not the Lancer we have come to love than I am going to invest in some new tools and a British repair manuel and get ready for some work...

my other love
http://www.geocities.com/importpowered