Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Brake Issues??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2005, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Issues??

So I took in my car to get the 15K checkup and the brakes were squealing so i told them to specifically look at them and they came back and said everything looked fine. This dealership was in St. Louis as i go to school there, then i brought it back home to Chicago and took it to the dealership here because one of the HID's went out and told them to look at the brakes too and they came back and told me there was 25% left on pads and that the rotors were glazed that's why it was squealing, and quoted me 1600 plus labor.

Now, I don't track this car at all and I would consider myself to be pretty easy on the brakes too. I have 16,500 miles, so is it actually possible that my rotors have gone and need to be replaced this early when one dealer told me they were fine (assuming they actually looked at them)?

I do have an '03 and i understand rotor warping was more of an issue on these early models but still this seems ridiculous and I by no means was looking to spend 2K on new brakes. Anyone else have this problem with these few miles? Any help appreciated.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

The dealer is full of $hit. If you look at the How to/Installations forum, you will find step by step instructions on how to remove your brake pads, you can change them yourself in a couple hours for less than $200, even cheaper if you get Autozone pads. Follow the instructions to the letter and you will be fine. I think that you just need to take out the pads and put anti-sieze compound on the back of the pads and your squeeking should go away.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

you can often remove some of the glazing by doing 3-4 hard stops from 80 mph or so. it may also help with the squealing.