Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Solutions.. for those with fading wings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solutions.. for those with fading wings

Im trying to a devise a plan to eventually get rid of the fading on my wing.. It doesnt looks like its repairable.. the car is out of warranty, so I have no other option but to loose the wing or buy a new one..

I have come up with a plan though. I was considering buying some wheel and having them custom painted to match the vortex generator paint code (gunmetal with some purple flecks like my freinds wheels that turned out beutiful).. I could also have the CF portion of the wing painted as well as some ralliart mirrors. Is this the best solution? It would still basically be the same color when looking at it.. I just dont see what other options I have.. plus ill know its carbon fiber. My other option would be to have it painted rally red.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

just sand it down and give it a new clear coat
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I would need to see pics before I could make up my mind.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Try to get it replaced under warranty, i've heard of people getting them replaced even out of warranty. I'm on my third wing from Mitsu.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

The wings they are using to fill the warranty claim are not full carbon fiber. That was something that I wish I knew before I got mine replaced because I had planned to do a full carbon wing. The sides are plastic now instead of carbon.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just took my wing in to be replaced under warrantee, and specifically asked them this question. The Service Writer said that the wing is all CF, but it comes primered white on the sides for painting purposes. I don't know if the guy was telling me this because that what he thought I wanted to hear or if its true, but he seemed a bit hesitant about the answer. Do you know if the dealership is allowed to let you keep your old one? That'd be sweet.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zze86
just sand it down and give it a new clear coat

+1

I sanded mine down myself and took it into a body shop prepped and they put 6 coats of clear for $30 bucks

looks better then new

BTW mitsu denied me for a new wing saying "I didnt take care of it properly" which is pretty funny considering I wash my car twice a week and polish, paint clean, wax, etc... it once a month
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ries
+1

I sanded mine down myself and took it into a body shop prepped and they put 6 coats of clear for $30 bucks

looks better then new

BTW mitsu denied me for a new wing saying "I didnt take care of it properly" which is pretty funny considering I wash my car twice a week and polish, paint clean, wax, etc... it once a month
Your dealer sucks man. They should have replaced it for you. You should have shown them all the post of people getting it replaced. I hate dealing with mitsu.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nigletsyz
I just took my wing in to be replaced under warrantee, and specifically asked them this question. The Service Writer said that the wing is all CF, but it comes primered white on the sides for painting purposes. I don't know if the guy was telling me this because that what he thought I wanted to hear or if its true, but he seemed a bit hesitant about the answer. Do you know if the dealership is allowed to let you keep your old one? That'd be sweet.
There is alot of info on the newer wings on here. I did alot of research because I was close to sanding the wing down to make it full carbon, but since I discovered they are not full carbon it kind of turned me away from doing it. I'll prolly be sandind it down anyway since Mitsu did a terrible job at painting it.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bpclements
The wings they are using to fill the warranty claim are not full carbon fiber. That was something that I wish I knew before I got mine replaced because I had planned to do a full carbon wing. The sides are plastic now instead of carbon.
What is exactly ment by this? The OEM wing is CF with plastic on the outside of the supports. Is the warranty wing all plastic on the supports inside and outside?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deepseadiver
What is exactly ment by this? The OEM wing is CF with plastic on the outside of the supports. Is the warranty wing all plastic on the supports inside and outside?
The early wings were completely made out of carbon fiber, even where it is painted on the sides. The newer wings have plastic on the painted sides. There is a how to out on how to sand the paint off of the older wings to make it completely carbon fiber.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

I learned something new today. So my 04 wing is completely carbon fiber?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know exactly when they started using the plastic on the wing, so I can't say if it is or isn't. Again, this is all info that I gathered on the boards here.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the wing is not an issue of your warranty ...it's a manufacturers defect... so take it to the dealer and have them replace it... i've had my new wing about 2 months now...ez and painless

painting it to match the rally red color doesn't look good...i've seen it...and it doesn't look right...

your first option ...not sure about that either...might work...but to lose the carbon fiber look would be a shame...and this is coming from someone that is not a carbon fiber junkie like quite a few evo owners
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ries
+1

looks better then new

I thought you couldn't fix your wing once you see the clearcoat coming off and would need to buy a new one.