Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust Expanding under heat??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Expanding under heat??

Hey I don't know if this is a newb question but I did search. I'm in the process of purchasing an RMR exhaust and the seller told me that the exhaust expands under heat. He said that one time it even caused his car to shut down on the freeway because of a bad install and the o2 sensor was triggered or something. Is it normal for exhausts to expand under heat. If so what can be done to avoid any complications?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Almost anything expands as it gets hotter. Metals especially so. An exhaust will expand most along its axis (the same way railway lines expand mostly along their long axis).

This should not be a problem as exahusts are on hangars, and the amount of expansion should be relatively small. The O2 sensor on mid pipe wont cause your car to shut down, it will just give you a cel if something happens. And the one on the turbo housing shouldnt be affected as a TBE exhaust starts after it.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have never heard of exhaust expanding, nor shutting off on the freeway because of a bad install?

That makes no sense at all.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Exhausts do expand in length. Go to 3 1/4 mile runs then go look at it.