Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove an STi and EVO IX the other day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
I still think you're too soft, Mr. Audi TT owner. And if you really want to compare the two cars, then test ALL current Evolutions. You've already tested the heaviest one, now test drive the RS, IX (sans SSL), and MR. I'm curious to know how long you've had this idea to buy an Evo.
The dealership I went to only had two, and one was the MR in the showroom and the other was the piggy optioned one outside. I had a hard enough time convincing them to let me drive that one. I want to drive the MR though. What was the allotment for the US or North America for these like 1000?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

I have a 03 evo but I must say I love the new 06 STI. I would love to have the 06 STI in white with the gold wheels that thing looks amazing.I hated the new front end until I saw that bad boy in person. Either way you go you are going to get a car that rocks.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not to trash on subaru but I had a wrx then I traded it in for a sti 2 years later, both cars gave me nothing but problems. I could never get it to boost right or sustain a decent idle. I recently got rid of my sti for a IX and I don't regret it at all, it been a blast and over all it feels faster than my sti with a tuned 20g turbo. The sti is one hell of a car and I'll always have a soft spot for it but they really don't take mods well at all and tend to result in blown motors. This is why I didn't get another sti, the evo is a better fit for me cause I love to mod and the evo likes that.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CarbonFibre
The dealership I went to only had two, and one was the MR in the showroom and the other was the piggy optioned one outside. I had a hard enough time convincing them to let me drive that one. I want to drive the MR though. What was the allotment for the US or North America for these like 1000?
If you're insinuating that there are not enough Evolutions to be test driven, then I'd say that you're not trying hard enough to find them. Besides, the best Evo to drive is a used, broken-in Evo. I think this is true for all performance cars - for obvious reasons.

Again, how long have you had this idea to buy the Evo?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 07:01 PM

I was on a very tight schedule that day, and the dealership I went to obviously couldn't serve me as best I could be served. I will be going out again and calling ahead of time to make sure I can drive an MR since that is most likely what I would get. I can't remember how long I've had this idea, it's just kind of been the most likely candidate for a replacement for my car for a while now.

Does the 6 speed in the MR handle mild mods just fine like the 5 speed does or does it have trouble? I've read it wasn't as durable here before but then others saying they were doing fine with it.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You chose the heaviest, most top heavy Evo to test drive, the SSL optioned car. That was a mistake. Test drive an MR or an RS. On second thought, I recommend that you do not test drive the RS because I think you're too soft. Above all, the best advice you could take is not to ask others what they think you should get. No one knows you best like YOU. Do the research, but please don't ask something like, "What do you think I should do, guys?" Research, research, research! Find out what YOU like. We are not you to tell yourself what to do.

I'm in a bad mood.
my thoughts exactly - if you're going to drive one evo then drive all of the current models, you may read all of these opinions and critiques on the car, but basically it's gonna fall on you - you're laying down the clams for the car and you're probably going to live w/ the car for awhile - what do you picture yourself getting into?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 07:06 PM

The Subaru was never really even a consideration until my brother wanted me to drive it. I think I can live with the Mitsubishi over the Subaru in terms of what each of them does best. I want to have the option to mod without worrying about a blown engine or w/e (some stuff people say here is scary). The Mitsubishi also looks a hell of a lot better than the Subaru any day of the week.

But yes, you're probably right about the RS. It's not that I'm too soft, the RS just isn't the car for me as I want some amenities.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CarbonFibre
Does the 6 speed in the MR handle mild mods just fine like the 5 speed does or does it have trouble? I've read it wasn't as durable here before but then others saying they were doing fine with it.
Am I an engineer? Do I have extra money to spend on mods? Do I not care about my 5 year, 60K mile warranty? Only if I could answer yes to all those questions would I begin to think about modding. My Evo is my daily driver. The thing fulfills most of my racing fantasies perfectly as is. In short, I'm not into tuning, so I won't offer any info on the subject.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Negligible? I disagree. As if the steel roof isn't enough, lets place a 50-plus pound sunroof on top and really mess with the roll center of gravity.
The curb weight listed for the Evo is 3263. The MR is 3285! That's including the steel roof on the non-MR. No way a sunroof adds 50 lbs, but even if it did, that would make the MR less than 30lbs lighter. Price to pay for a 6spd and that heavy MR badging
Old Jan 5, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrSmile
The curb weight listed for the Evo is 3263. The MR is 3285! That's including the steel roof on the non-MR. No way a sunroof adds 50 lbs, but even if it did, that would make the MR less than 30lbs lighter. Price to pay for a 6spd and that heavy MR badging
Actually, the difference between a IX without sunroof (sunroof only, not including the other SSL options - according to the Mitsu website) and the IX with sunroof is a whopping 75 pounds. I was conservative with the 50 number, but added the "plus" to indicate "more than". Also, the curb or total weight numbers do not take into consideration where the extra weight is on the car. No matter how small you may think, adding weight to the top of a car affects handling severely.

Look for yourself ... http://mitsubishimotors.com/MMSA/jsp...pecs.jsp?t=all

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Please stop.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

DrSmile, I went a little overboard in my post. I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm in a bad mood. Please don't take it personally.

CarbonFibre, I went a little overboard with you, also. Thanks for not taking anything I posted personally - at least you appeared unphased. I think the best advice I could give you, besides the advice I offered in my first post, is to offer the defining moments, as I like to call them, in my research process that convinced me wholeheartedly to go Evo (first decision), then IX RS (second, final decision). Just say the word and I will share my list of "defining moments".

Last edited by EVO X Owner-2-B; Jan 5, 2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by s q a d
which is why I bought my STi

I loved the looks of the Evo, but the interior felt " Honda Civic-ish" no offence to any of the Evo drivers

I felt if I had to sit in the car all day, might as well be to my liking .. again, I was SECONDS away from buying an Evo, but backed out at the last moment
Totally true!! sometimes I don't even realize that I am already in my evo. (I drive a civic daily) I only realize it after I step on the pedal and...WOW!!!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, the difference between a IX without sunroof (sunroof only, not including the other SSL options - according to the Mitsu website) and the IX with sunroof is a whopping 75 pounds. I was conservative with the 50 number, but added the "plus" to indicate "more than". Also, the curb or total weight numbers do not take into consideration where the extra weight is on the car. No matter how small you may think, adding weight to the top of a car affects handling severely.

Look for yourself ... http://mitsubishimotors.com/MMSA/jsp...pecs.jsp?t=all

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Please stop.
sunroof, no sunroof, no roof, who cares unless you're road racing where every .01 second counts?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

53 pounds... my sunroof is definitely worth at least that much... and I can make up for the difference by shifting faster or rt
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RTS EVO VIII
sunroof, no sunroof, no roof, who cares unless you're road racing where every .01 second counts?
Yes, you say that to yourself to make yourself feel better. Furthermore, I think that is the biggest bunch of **** I've read in a while. I, for one, care big time if my car's roof is weighted down like a mother ******. The difference in feeling can be felt on any road. Timing? I could give a ****. It's all about the feel, dude.

I've had a rough day. Please forgive my potty mouth, everyone.

Quick Reply: Test drove an STi and EVO IX the other day