Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which is faster? ...Nurburgring lap time reference.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Squirter
True. Don't kid ourselves. Nurburgring is where the Evo shines.
It does do well there but it's not slow enough for a EVO to "shine." Evo's like more technical tracks. For the Nurburgring you want really good aero and low frontal area (and/or a ton of hp). It's got the balance and grip to be fast just not the aerodynamic shape to get it done.

It would be fun to take even a 300whp Ohlins equipped EVO there, it would be damn fast (in the sevens easy).
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have seen the list, I have driven a few of the cars on the list but it caught my attention thatthere are two cars that are basicly equal, the Porsche 993 Carrera and the Honda Civic Type -R.

I have driven the 911(964), the 911( 993) and the 911(998) and there is no way in hell that the Civic Type R should be faster than the 911(993) Carrera.

I was a lucky guy to test drive one of the first Honda Civic Type-R being sold in the world, in fact it was still in the showroom when I tested in Bury St Edmunds(UK) in May 2002. That Honda Civic should not be as fast as the Porsche 993 Carrera, not at all, I think that it must be a mistake somewhere, a Typo.

Look at the 8.47 sec mark.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I have seen the list, I have driven a few of the cars on the list but it caught my attention thatthere are two cars that are basicly equal, the Porsche 993 Carrera and the Honda Civic Type -R.

I have driven the 911(964), the 911( 993) and the 911(998) and there is no way in hell that the Civic Type R should be faster than the 911(993) Carrera.

I was a lucky guy to test drive one of the first Honda Civic Type-R being sold in the world, in fact it was still in the showroom when I tested in Bury St Edmunds(UK) in May 2002. That Honda Civic should not be as fast as the Porsche 993 Carrera, not at all, I think that it must be a mistake somewhere, a Typo.

Look at the 8.47 sec mark.
I agree, there are a lot of variables though in just drivers and weather...
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

I'm an EVO devotee and I own an 05 MR. But believe me when I say that the the production Spec-C is no marshmallow, and I'm sure that the "prototype" was created with the 7 minute mark in mind. Check it out in some of the European publications like EVO where the production Spec-C beat out the Mitsubishi in there "car of the year"comparison issue, 05. Also, look at some of the cars/times listed above and tell me if the softly sprung ones got the better times, check out the new 997 Carrera S, PASM setting in “Sport” mode than again in PASM "Standard" and see which got a better time. And I don't think the PASM "Sport" mode is a softer, more bump absorbing setting than the "Standard" mode.

Originally Posted by Ike
It's almost the same as the production Spec C, if not exactly the same. The STi is not quite as sharp as the Evo handling wise but throw it on a somewhat bumpy unpredictable track like Nurburgring and it'll just eat up those bumps like few other road cars can.

Last edited by TPetsch; Jan 15, 2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 06:05 PM
Ike
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TPetsch
I'm an EVO lover and I own a 05 MR. But believe me when I say that the the production Spec-C is no marshmallow, and I'm sure that the "prototype" was created with the 7 minute mark in mind. Check it out in some of the European publications like EVO where the production Spec-C beat out the Mitsubishi in there "car of the year"comparison issue, 05. Also, look at some of the cars/times listed above and tell me if the softly sprung ones got the better times, check out the new 997 Carrera S, PASM setting in “Sport” mode than again in PASM "Standard" and see which got a better time. And I don't think the PASM "Sport" mode is a softer, more bump absorbing setting than the "Standard" mode.
Where did I say anything about softly sprung? The long travel of the Subaru suspension and just the general setup of the car is what makes it better suited, I don't think it has much if anything at all to do with the Subaru being more softly sprung. Simply put the Evo feels jittery when things get rough while the STI just seems to take it in stride. You do make a good point though, the Spec C has bested the Evo a few times now and is faster around most tracks compared to the Evo.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Ike
Where did I say anything about softly sprung? The long travel of the Subaru suspension and just the general setup of the car is what makes it better suited, I don't think it has much if anything at all to do with the Subaru being more softly sprung. Simply put the Evo feels jittery when things get rough while the STI just seems to take it in stride. You do make a good point though, the Spec C has bested the Evo a few times now and is faster around most tracks compared to the Evo.
FWIW the Nurburgring isn't that bumpy, a E46 M3, which is stiffer than a stock EVO feels perfect there. Most of the "bumps" that are hit on a typical hard lap are all the curbs around the place and the Karussell and little Karussell.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 01:19 AM
Evolving Member

nice post, pretty helpful.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 01:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by chronohunter
...a E46 M3, which is stiffer than a stock EVO...
I've sat shotgun in an '02 E46 M3 and it was no Buick, but it certainly didn't feel as raw as my Evo. Are you talking about a particular M3 trim that rides stiffer than an Evo?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chronohunter
It does do well there but it's not slow enough for a EVO to "shine." Evo's like more technical tracks. For the Nurburgring you want really good aero and low frontal area (and/or a ton of hp). It's got the balance and grip to be fast just not the aerodynamic shape to get it done.

It would be fun to take even a 300whp Ohlins equipped EVO there, it would be damn fast (in the sevens easy).
this is what i was referring to... the ring has stretches that are suppose to be taken at well over 120, sure they're not straights but they're not designed for the evo either.

everyone has ring spy shots... even jags and astons, does that mean they do well on that type of track? not necessarily.

cars that do well in the ring have a ton of hp, grand touring cars that would not shine in canyons or autocross or rally but do well on these gt style tracks. the evo is not a gt car... it's hard enough to keep it above 140... how the heck do you expect it to compete well with cars that are pushing 500 hp that can cruise at 150 easily?

lots of the ring has to do with engine inertia, big engines and stout stances do well at the ring. the evo would easily crush such cars on tighter courses, but that's cuz it has little engine inertia and a semi stout stance in stock form.

a modded evo can do very well there.... but at the same time... who cares enough to have done it? not too many have judging by the times presented.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who cares...people need to stop trying to turn the EVO into a Mosler. It's a great car! It handles very well...when Muellerized etc they can be made into even better handling cars.

The EVO is not going to be a vette killer or viper destroyer...Porsche hunter etc given equal drivers and each car in it's ultimate form.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turd Squirter
I've sat shotgun in an '02 E46 M3 and it was no Buick, but it certainly didn't feel as raw as my Evo. Are you talking about a particular M3 trim that rides stiffer than an Evo?
Up until last weekend I owned both and would have to say that the Evo "seemed" to have stiffer springs, but more roll compared to the E46 M3. But I have zero info on springs rates for the M to back any of that up. If the M gave any road harshness it was due to those dumb *** 19" wheels.

Something seems wrong here. I'm guessing this is not a stock E36 M3???
8:20 --- 148.320 km/h -- BMW M3 E36, 321 hp (Autocar magazine 1997)
8:20 --- 148.320 km/h -- Porche 993 GT3, Walter Roehrl (Car magazine 10/99)
8:22 --- 147.749 km/h -- BMW M3 E46, 343 PS/1584 kg (sport auto 12/00)
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

chronohunter, just curious since u mentioned the shape of EVO, the STI has similar shape as the EVO - they r both "boxes". what do u think contributes to faster times in the STI? torque, hp?

thanks
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

It's totally useless list. The track is so long and so demanding, that the result is ultimately depending on the driver. If you want to compare cars at the ring, there has to be same guy doing the driving.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
chronohunter, just curious since u mentioned the shape of EVO, the STI has similar shape as the EVO - they r both "boxes". what do u think contributes to faster times in the STI? torque, hp?

thanks
How about tires? Unless these times were all made with the same rubber or at least something very similar, the times are nearly worthless.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Not necessarily, many of these drives are by factory drivers who know the ring and the car that they are driving very well. Or drivers used by Sport Auto Mag who drive the Ring like there own driveway. In most cases many laps are taken to achieve an above average time as low Nurburgring lap times are a form of positive advertisement in many European markets, and believe that manufactures take these time very seriously. Now even in the American market Cadillac (GM) is taking laps to see where there car slots in with some of the greats.

Originally Posted by FinEVO8
It's totally useless list. The track is so long and so demanding, that the result is ultimately depending on the driver. If you want to compare cars at the ring, there has to be same guy doing the driving.

Last edited by TPetsch; Jan 16, 2006 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Which is faster? ...Nurburgring lap time reference.