Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Immobilizer question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Immobilizer question

My new IX (same immobilizer as 03-05).... Does anybody know what happens when the immobilizer kicks in. I know the immobilizer talks with the ECU and then the ecu goes into an immobilized mode but what does that mean? What component of engine opperation is it shutting down. Is it stoping ignition or injectors or fuel pump. I was fideling around when installing my remote starter and found that when the immobilizer key sensor is unpluged from the steering column the engine will still start but will then quit after about 2 seconds. This leads me to believe it is killing the fuel pump because if it did that, it would be able to run for a few seconds until the pressure in the rails runs out. The reason I want to know is that i may be able to do the remote start without the immobilizer bypass that requires a key to be hidden in the car. Please PM me with answers, we dont want the wronge people knowing.

Thanks
Luke
Old Jan 31, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

um... how do we know that YOU aren't one of those wrong people?

strike
Old Jan 31, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

*Thread Hijack*

I have another immobilizer question. Can a dealership convert my current immobilizer to work with another ECU, or do immobilizers and ECUs only come in pairs and only worth with their original partner? I ask this because I called the dealership and told them I got my new ECU and I was ready to come in, and they told me that I needed the immobilizer from the steering column that went with the ECU I received. I was under the impression that they could convert my immobilizer to the new ECU...am I wrong?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

*Achoo*

Bless me.

But seriously... !
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

It is my understanding that you need the ecu AND the immobilizer for things to work properly.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

When the immobilizer has been activated the ICU does not read the key and it tells the PCM to disable the ignition and the injectors.

There are four components to the immobilizer system. The key, the Immobilizer ECU, the PCM( main ECU) and the antenna. The only time an ICU would need to be replaced is if there were a problem with it specifically. Otherwise it can be programmed with up to 4 keys. The antenna just plugs in and it doesn't need to be replaced unless there is a problem specifically with the antenna. If you are talking about the main PCM for the car, it's not permanently electronically connected to the ICU. All of the components can be replaced separately. However, once the ICU has been programmed to an ECU it CANNOT be re-programmed to another ECU. In the early years of the immobilizer system, the PCM and ICU had to be replaced together, that was changed before the EVO was sold in the US.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by conphuzed
*Thread Hijack*

I have another immobilizer question. Can a dealership convert my current immobilizer to work with another ECU, or do immobilizers and ECUs only come in pairs and only worth with their original partner? I ask this because I called the dealership and told them I got my new ECU and I was ready to come in, and they told me that I needed the immobilizer from the steering column that went with the ECU I received. I was under the impression that they could convert my immobilizer to the new ECU...am I wrong?
All you need is the "new" ECU, the vehicle that it's going in and the MUT tool. We do it here at the shop all the time
Old Feb 1, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
All you need is the "new" ECU, the vehicle that it's going in and the MUT tool. We do it here at the shop all the time
I'm going to go ahead and be a "n00b" and ask: Is the MUT tool is supplied by the dealership? I wonder why they think I need the immobilizer, if it can obviously be done by converting the old one. Care to make a trip to Austin and do this for me? Seems like you're light-years ahead of my dealership.

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 01:18 PM
Account Disabled

I'm going to go ahead and be a "n00b" and ask: Is the MUT tool is supplied by the dealership? I wonder why they think I need the immobilizer, if it can obviously be done by converting the old one. Care to make a trip to Austin and do this for me? Seems like you're light-years ahead of my dealership.

Thanks for the help!
The MUT is Mitsubishi's scan tool. They're on version III right now, but you only need the II to program the keys (make sure you have all your spares as well) and immoblizer to the "new" ECU.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, so I do need the immobilizer to the "new" ECU? I could have sworn in your earlier post you said I didn't need the "new" ECU's immobilizer, that the MUT could convert the "new" ECU to my current immobilizer. Am I misreading the post(s)?
Old Feb 5, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Bump for answer; car goes into dealership tomorrow morning.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

You can only get 1 ecu to work at a time with just 1 imobilizer meaning that you have your current ECU and imobilizer working in your vehicle with your keys then you remove "YOUR" current working ecu and put in the one you just purchased and vehicle will just crank over and not start.You then program the new ecu to your imobilizer already in your vehicle and your current keys and vehicle will start right up,but if you try to put your original ecu back in and expect it to start your car it will not,hence the need for another imobilizer ecu,anyone who tells you differently is full of #hit. The only way this works is what I just posted.I have heard that if you get a ECUTEK flash that they can CLONE that part of the ECU's code from your original ecu to your new ecu,but I have yet to see this work in person,but SEAN IVEY says it can be done and he has no reason to lie about it and no monetary gain from it so I have no reason to not believe him,but like I posted,I have yet to see 2 different Mitsu ecu's work in 1 vehicle without changing imobilizer ecu(evo 8 us spec that is)

Last edited by turboDan; Mar 8, 2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

So, in theory, I could get a MUT tool and switch them out whenever I wanted? That's not the goal of replacing my ECU, but it'd be a nice added bonus.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 07:28 PM
Account Disabled

So, in theory, I could get a MUT tool and switch them out whenever I wanted? That's not the goal of replacing my ECU, but it'd be a nice added bonus.
Unless you know someone at a Mitsu dealer,"getting" a MUT is really not a cost effective way as an Imobilizer ecu is only $178.00 or so dollars,new from
Mitsubishi.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turboDan
Unless you know someone at a Mitsu dealer,"getting" a MUT is really not a cost effective way as an Imobilizer ecu is only $178.00 or so dollars,new from
Mitsubishi.
Well, scratch that idea.

Quick Reply: Immobilizer question