Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

IX MR Oil leak STILL!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IX MR Oil leak STILL!

Well, the oil leak is still jacking up my brand new $5000 driveway I changed the oil at 1500 miles with Mobil 1 10W 30 and a Mobil 1 filter. I noticed BEFORE I did that change that there was oil around the pan area and filter area.

Well, I changed the oil this Sunday with a Mitsu filter, Mobil 1 10W 30 and a NEW CRUSH WASHER...as I couldn't remember if I put the new washer on the first time. Degreased everything under the car and washed it....Dried it and checked for leaks. Nothing...

Today I get home and look in the driveway and YUP! A leak...So must be from somewhere else. Any ideas? Not from the valve cover...Nothing seems to be oily higher than the oil pump area.

Kris
Old Feb 1, 2006, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tighten the drain plug more? mine leaked a little bit when i put a new crush washer so i tightened it more and the leak stopped.

if youre sure thats not it just take it to the dealership
Old Feb 1, 2006, 04:03 PM

I just got my car back from the dealer because I had an oil leak. It was some small piece on the connector to the MIVEC. Because on the IXs oil is pumped into the MIVEC.

My car is brand new, so that could also be what your problem is. I'd have the dealer check it.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedshark
I just got my car back from the dealer because I had an oil leak. It was some small piece on the connector to the MIVEC. Because on the IXs oil is pumped into the MIVEC.

My car is brand new, so that could also be what your problem is. I'd have the dealer check it.

Cool...BUT! What kind of flak would I get for JUST AN HKS Intake and HKS Catback?!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Also, what is this connector? Was it bad? Loose?! I will just do it.

Kris
Old Feb 1, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Th at is absolutely bizarre dude... I even use Evo 8 oil filters on the Evo 9 and no oil leak issues at all.

I haven't service my car at the dealer ever, I do my oil tranny services but never ever had any problems. Maek sure you did not crossthread the thread.

Sometimes the aftermarket oil filter are made in different shapes, that is OK as long as the innner rubber ring matches the stock inner fitting surface.

try a new crush washer and retightening it.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Th at is absolutely bizarre dude... I even use Evo 8 oil filters on the Evo 9 and no oil leak issues at all.

I haven't service my car at the dealer ever, I do my oil tranny services but never ever had any problems. Maek sure you did not crossthread the thread.

Sometimes the aftermarket oil filter are made in different shapes, that is OK as long as the innner rubber ring matches the stock inner fitting surface.

try a new crush washer and retightening it.

I do all of my own work too...Most of it on my old car except pulling the engine because no cherry picker or engine stand...

I am going to look at the car Friday. I just parked it and forgot about it...

Waiting also on AEM and DC Sports to finish sending my goodies! WOO HOO!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

thats why you dont DIY
Old Feb 1, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
thats why you dont DIY
Why? I have been working on cars for 10 years or so. Wrote How-to's for AGP Turbo, Exhaust Depot and more. Built a nitrous breathing Neon, my 500whp SRT-4, and now working on the Evo.

But thanks for the advice on the oil leak...

Remember, this is a new car for me and I am LEARNING about this car. I have had 5 Neon's and could take them apart blindfolded. Give me a break. I have had the car for a month.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
thats why you dont DIY

Learn about your car and wrench your own ****.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 08:46 PM

Well I didn't actually see the piece myself, but the tech said that is was a small fitting going to or from (I can't remember which) the oil filter that goes to the MIVEC. He just ordered a new fitting and put it on. We'll see if that fixes it...

EDIT: BTW...you should be fine taking your car to the dealer, intake and exhaust do not void your warrantly. Although I wouldn't put it past some dealers to make a stink...
Old Feb 2, 2006, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedshark
BTW...you should be fine taking your car to the dealer, intake and exhaust do not void your warrantly. Although I wouldn't put it past some dealers to make a stink...
Exactly!
Old Feb 2, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cross threaded oil filter, your oil filter adapter is toast.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MaxR
cross threaded oil filter, your oil filter adapter is toast.
Oil filter isn't cross threaded. I am very careful when putting it on and reached no resitance until the gasket mated with the adapter surface.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 07:26 AM

You may also want to check the dip stick tube that runs into the engine. I'm not sure if you have, but if you've taken apart your head you have probably taken this out. You may want to check to see if the dipstick tube is put back into the engine bay and make sure it is in there.

Quick Reply: IX MR Oil leak STILL!