Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I own an STi, I'm looking at an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IMAAaron
Ok, not that I'm tired with my car, but I've owned it for nearly over a year and I already have 31k miles. Love the car, wouldn't normally get rid of it, BUT: The local Mitsu dealer has an RS. I'm thinking if the price to upgrade is right, it might be worth it to delete the year and mileage. Nevermind get the seats I want, from a previous post.

I would like to stop by the dealer today. I need VERY honest opinions, hopefully not too EVO biased. What should I watch out for with EVO's, rather, what will I regret? As far as longevity, is it better to rack up ~150k miles on a high-reving inline 4 or boxer 4 that requires almost a days work for a spark plug change?

I realize that I'm going to miss some things with the RS that the MR would satisfy. Are there any HP differences between the two?

Things that I am going to miss on the RS that I have on the STi (please add to the list, I want to make sure I can live without this stuff.):

1. 6-speed
2. in-dash changer
3. power windows
4. power doorlocks
5. side airbags
6. driver controlled center diff
7. spoiler
8. xenon (i think) headlights

Give me a sales pitch. Is it worth it? Is it greedy? let me know.
Has the car been paid off? If not, will there be any negative equity if refinancing?

Originally Posted by EVOGOD21
i sure you will be happy in a EVOB 9 MR I love it i just to have a 2004 evo 8 5 speed
i dyno it and had 265 whp.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:16 PM

No, no neg equity. Only a 36 mo. loan.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:18 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

To be honest, I would keep it unless your really tired of it. If anything, try to go for the regular IX or possibly a leftover 05 Evo 8.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOVIII200
PLUS THIS IS THE LAST TRUE EVO MITSU IS MAKING THE 07 IS TONE DOWN A LOT TO MEET A NEW CROWD OF PEOPLE
what do you mean
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

No, no neg equity. Only a 36 mo. loan.
In that case, keep the car. Why go through another death resulting loan for a similar performing vehicle with lacking creature comforts.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

buy a GSR for close to invoice if you can.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Arrow

Well, no deal, not even close.

Anybody want an immaculate '05 STi for 17,900? ...besides the dealer?

Honestly. I'd be interested. We should talk via pm regarding the condition, I know you have higher mileage but I'd be very interested.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, not that I'm tired with my car, but I've owned it for nearly over a year and I already have 31k miles. Love the car, wouldn't normally get rid of it, BUT: The local Mitsu dealer has an RS. I'm thinking if the price to upgrade is right, it might be worth it to delete the year and mileage. Nevermind get the seats I want, from a previous post.

I would like to stop by the dealer today. I need VERY honest opinions, hopefully not too EVO biased. What should I watch out for with EVO's, rather, what will I regret? As far as longevity, is it better to rack up ~150k miles on a high-reving inline 4 or boxer 4 that requires almost a days work for a spark plug change?

I realize that I'm going to miss some things with the RS that the MR would satisfy. Are there any HP differences between the two?

Things that I am going to miss on the RS that I have on the STi (please add to the list, I want to make sure I can live without this stuff.):

1. 6-speed
2. in-dash changer
3. power windows
4. power doorlocks
5. side airbags
6. driver controlled center diff
7. spoiler
8. xenon (i think) headlights

Give me a sales pitch. Is it worth it? Is it greedy? let me know.
Take a drive on the highway at 80mph and see if you can live with the vehicle noise. I enjoy my RS, it's my second RS and third Evo, and would not trade it for another car. You hear alot of guys opine on the lack of power windows or a six speed or perhaps the wing. If you are a purist and an enthusiast this car will appeal to you, it's raw, rare, and what I consider to be the ultimate road warrior for "real world" conditions. I've had a C32, a Z06, and an 03 Cobra in the last couple of years and while they were all fun, they were not as much fun as for as much of the time as the Evo is.

If you think you'd miss the creature comforts a base IX is not much more $$$.

Compared to the STI you do give up that distinctive boxer 'thing" which is very cool but it's offset by what you get in return, especially with the IX. In 03 and 04 the STI was legitimately and consistently quicker than the Evo. The '05 upgrades brought them about even if not favoring the Evo, and the '06 puts the smack on the STI. Having broken three evo's in I have to say that the difference is apparent from the quicker spool to the top end rip. When I picked up my '03 I remember being pissed after break-in to find out that the sweet midrange hit fell flat at 5000 rpm. The '06 screams to redline and beyond whereas it felt painful in a stock 03.

Quality-wise I think has done a great job with the minor upgrades here and there but I have found all of the evo models/years to be high quality and durable.

I'm biased towards the RS
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Check your PM again