Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The official Can I afford an EVO? Thread.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't read all the posts by here's my .02cents worth as a former Marine (5 years).

-You don't know how long your MOS (Military Ocupational Specialty or job) school is going to be. My school was a year long so they let us take POV's but alot of shorter schools did not allow guys to take their cars. So you could be going up to a year with no car.

-You may be deployed as soon as you get done with your school if you go active. You will probably most deffinately be deployed if you go reserve. This is not a bad thing, as you make alot of extra money by going over for a tour. I know alot of guys that went over for 6 months and came back with a respectable ammount of $$ saved up because there's really nothing to spend money on when you're deployed over there and everything you need is given to you. Anyway my point being that you don't want to buy an Evo and have it sit outside your parents house all that time.

-Provided that you make it through basic, MOS school, and any other training/schools they send you to before you make it to your first duty station (assuming active duty), you don't know where they're going to send you state side. My first duty station was Barstow, CA. I spent 4 years there. I would have hated having a nice new Evo and having it sit outside the barracks getting slammed by sand storms and sitting out in the 125 dg desert heat.

-When you first in you (provided you are enlisted E1-E3) you don't make much money. And trust me, you're main concern is going to be going out and having a good time when you're off and on weekends. My MOS school was at a Marine Corps detachment on Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, MS. We were only an hour away from Burban St in New Orleans. Guess where all my money went...which wasn't much! LOL You really don't make all that much when you first get in until you make atleast E4. I can't tell you the guys I know that had awesome cars sitting outside the barracks but no money to fill it up with gas. We called them Barracks Rats. LOL they were funny because they were always trying to take people places for gas money.

Anyway my best advice. Go through all your training and save money. Then after you get to where you're going and get settled, then go get your Evo. Remember there will always be cars, but the best thing you can do for yourself is establish yourself as young as you possible can with good credit and some money in the bank. It sure makes life alot easier when you're in your mid 20's into your 30's when you try and buy a house or a new car. Good luck man and best of wishes.

-CI
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

My credit score is low for TWO reasons, I have not had a ton of credit history and no mommy and daddy to help me, forgive me for wanting an EVO lil' EVO but don't treat me as if I am ignorant first off because part of the reason it is ahead of time thinking of the EVO is so I could get my things sorted out... As for the tool that told me I know nothing about the Military, your wrong fool... I was in the Army for almost two years, didn't even hit basic til I was past my first year of service as a reservest drilling with my unit the 309th Combat Support Hospital in Auburn, Maine so STFU before you make ignorant comments like that, there were reasons for my discharge that I don't need to explain to anyone... The Army is VERY different from the AF and I have every right to say so, ask anyone... unless you are a PJ, Combat Controller or other AF special Forces the training is completely different and that is why the Army is called basic COMBAT training and the Air Force is Basic MILITARY Training... Don't get defensive and start playing internet tough guy because no one buys it... nor does anyone care, and what would you know about me being capable of handling this that or whatever, your ignorant enough to base my character on a EvolutionM thread? I was platoon leader, qualified expert in both grenade and BRM, how much time did you spend with your weapon? Oh that's right you busted out 31 push ups in two minutes I didn't mean to knock on the Air Force obviously considering I am considering enlistment so before you start shooting your mouth off... THINK! Isn't that what the AF's job is anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0rcedFed
My credit score is low for TWO reasons, I have not had a ton of credit history and no mommy and daddy to help me, forgive me for wanting an EVO lil' EVO but don't treat me as if I am ignorant first off because part of the reason it is ahead of time thinking of the EVO is so I could get my things sorted out... As for the tool that told me I know nothing about the Military, your wrong fool... I was in the Army for almost two years, didn't even hit basic til I was past my first year of service as a reservest drilling with my unit the 309th Combat Support Hospital in Auburn, Maine so STFU before you make ignorant comments like that, there were reasons for my discharge that I don't need to explain to anyone... The Army is VERY different from the AF and I have every right to say so, ask anyone... unless you are a PJ, Combat Controller or other AF special Forces the training is completely different and that is why the Army is called basic COMBAT training and the Air Force is Basic MILITARY Training... Don't get defensive and start playing internet tough guy because no one buys it... nor does anyone care, and what would you know about me being capable of handling this that or whatever, your ignorant enough to base my character on a EvolutionM thread? I was platoon leader, qualified expert in both grenade and BRM, how much time did you spend with your weapon? Oh that's right you busted out 31 push ups in two minutes I didn't mean to knock on the Air Force obviously considering I am considering enlistment so before you start shooting your mouth off... THINK! Isn't that what the AF's job is anyway.
Whohhh, maybe I should have read the whole thread before I posted. Are you talking to me? I was only trying to help.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

OK!! i was in a similar situation and i opted to wait for the right time and it paid off. I think you shoul;d be patient and wait. I have been in the Air Force for 4 yrs and bought my evo when I was in for 3 at 22 and an E-4 with a son and can afford it and my apartment and rest of my bills but i was patient. i am now an E-5 so its no problem. but make sure your credit is right first!!!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188673
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184817
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185157

If you're not sure by now, you can't.

Originally Posted by lil'evil_evo
+1
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

AF is the best branch by far everyone knows it!!!! But people are subject to their opinion. If you want to be a killer than maybe its not for you. i load bombs that can inflict way more damage than any human!!!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

The safe rule financially is don't buy a car unless your annual income exceeds twice the price. Obviously at higher levels of income this no longer applies, since most millionaires may only have a nice Benz.

I don't care if you live at home or have all of your expenses covered by Uncle Sam. It is a very foolish move financially to buy an Evo at an income level of 30k or less. The early you start saving for a house and retirement, the more your money can work for you and compound.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Actually Buddy i shot expert before i got shipped to Balad, Iraq last year.... By all this Bull crap your saying, im guessing you have never been deployed. But you were you platoon leader so you know everything about the military, right? I guess you couldnt "hack it" that long in the military, so my statement holds true. "i wouldnt want someone who is not 100% dedicated to there job watching my back in iraq." I've been in the military for 2 1/2 years and i have been deployed twice once to iraq and once here (not allowed to say until i leave) and i have a funny feeling that i know how the military works better than you. But i guess thats your right to call a branch of the military puss*es... But if you ever get to the point when your deployed, there are no badasses or pussies only the people who want to make it home to there families...just like you.

BTW: after a deployment its easy to save 8 grand or so... that makes for a very nice down payment. thats what i did but with a trade in also (02 grand prix gtp)

Last edited by Tpayne84; Mar 9, 2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Well in that case though I love the EVO maybe it is indeed a more realistic idea to buy the SRT-4... I love both cars deeply but the EVO obviously is a far superior vehicle, the SRT-4 is a bit narrow minded. I have spoken with my loan officer at my credit union and discussed my credit report, I have two minor issues and those are nothing HUGE... as long as I am kept current while I am in training she insisted I should not worry about financing because it won't be a problem, my debt is minimal however I see myself loving either car, the EVO more but still love for each... I think I may be overshooting for an EVO anyways, when the SRT-4 can put just as many grins on ones face especially with it's modability.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:20 PM

i dont know what pays more in America but since i have been in he Airforce and currently in the Army i havent regretted my decision. as far as it goes being a weekend warrior here, i added money from my day job allows me to have the luxuary of the evo. this is only several hundred a month however it pays for the repayment for the evo or it pays for the petrol/mods. as long as you dont spend $$$ on crap **** mods for the evo, i dont see why not you cant afford one.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Google
The safe rule financially is don't buy a car unless your annual income exceeds twice the price. Obviously at higher levels of income this no longer applies, since most millionaires may only have a nice Benz.

I don't care if you live at home or have all of your expenses covered by Uncle Sam. It is a very foolish move financially to buy an Evo at an income level of 30k or less. The early you start saving for a house and retirement, the more your money can work for you and compound.
Listen to this man...oh wait, everyone has already given you this advice about 4-5x. Why do you need a new thread everytime? Just go back to the old ones you created
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Well in that case though I love the EVO maybe it is indeed a more realistic idea to buy the SRT-4... I love both cars deeply but the EVO obviously is a far superior vehicle, the SRT-4 is a bit narrow minded. I have spoken with my loan officer at my credit union and discussed my credit report, I have two minor issues and those are nothing HUGE... as long as I am kept current while I am in training she insisted I should not worry about financing because it won't be a problem, my debt is minimal however I see myself loving either car, the EVO more but still love for each... I think I may be overshooting for an EVO anyways, when the SRT-4 can put just as many grins on ones face especially with it's modability.
Dont get the wrong idea from my posts.... im saying you CAN get an EVO and that it is possable. after your done with your training (it doesnt matter what branch), you will have some money saved... get on an deployment, try and get a good one. then come back and buy your EVO. your deployment will easly allow you to save thousands. a friend of mine drove convoys in Iraq for 12 months and came back and bought a brand new 28-33 thousand dollar (i cant remember the exact amount) legacy GT... he only owes like 6 grand on it now. It is do able.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Google

I bought one and i make less than 30k a year.... but i live in the dorms and put close to 13 grand down including my trade-in. My payments are less than 350 a month and i only owe just over 15k on it now plus im debt free with a near perfect credit score. with my deployments and no bills i will have my 03 evo paid off in 2 years and ill be 23 with a paid off EVO looking for another one
Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

I honestly want an EVO, just an EVO... however figuring out weather it is doable was key considering if I got into an EVO and it gets Reposessed then that will be the last EVO I have so advice doesn't hurt... why don't I go with my older threads? It is because certain things change, certain variables and also new threads get more activity then older threads that just floated up... I would like any EVO, take any low mileage one however I am shooting for 05 or a used IX when I get back from training... I hear they are the kink proof EVO's and don't have as many problems as 03 and 04's do... but maybe I am wrong, personally I look at the EVO and see sex on wheels, the SRT-4 is awsome, love it... driven a ton of them and know a bunch who make tons of power out of them but at the end of the day the EVO can contend with ANY and I mean ANY car on the road no matter what it is or what catagory it is being used for... a dig, EVO owns, track, EVO owns, roll... a little less but in the 1/4 it is still the fastest car for the buck but the point is... it's a car that provides it all, not to mention all season ability. The only thing I can see sucking about a low mileage used 05 or IX is that the clutch probobly hasn't been replaced yet, I will try to find an unabused one for eh... $25-$26,000. Is the MR 6 speed a stronger transmission than the 5 speed?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

[B]Is the MR 6 speed a stronger transmission than the 5 speed?
NO! There has been threads about it. Search and you will find.

Quick Reply: The official Can I afford an EVO? Thread.