Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The official Can I afford an EVO? Thread.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The official Can I afford an EVO? Thread.

Alright well I am no longer attending school and as soon as my re-enlistment goes through with either the Air Force or the Army I will be leaving for training as soon as I can after I am sworn in. Chances are with the jobs I am looking at and qualify for the training sched should be about 6 months to a year and now that my debt is almost completely caught up I can use that time to save for a down payment on a new car, but can I afford the EVO? I guess rule of thumb is such and such an amount is to be allowed for car expenses, if your total cost including taxes etc etc is more than half of your net salary over a year you can't comfortably afford it. This is financing not buying out right. The Evolution is my dream car, hands down I love everything about it and I was hoping to get into a lower mileage used IX or 05 VIII. I just would really feel alot better with an EVO that had it's kinks settled for the most part not to mention I love the look of the IX but that is assuming they should be $25,000-26,000 by the time I buy and I'd be putting $5,000 down. The alternative is an SRT-4 which I love too but it's not an EVO.

I have driven numerous of the two and the mod potential and low cost of the SRT-4 is awsome, I know for a fact I can purchase one, mod, have spare cash and live comfortably and happy in it however at a certain point I will need a second car living in Maine and that's a pain. I plan on making just to say about $15.00 an hour straight out of training. I'm hoping to become an Xray technician and they start at about $18.00 an hour but lets say $15.00 an hour just to be safe in case I don't end up being an Xray tech, other technical or medical jobs, the decent ones can fetch that amount easily and that's justr starting wages. I was told that the money I plan to be making isn't enough, and to own an EVO and be happy with the financial situation along with pricey maintinence and poor gas mileage I should stay away from the EVO because it would be a financial mistake.

I believe that though I'd love to be in an SRT-4 as well it would be just as big of a mistake to settle for something when you REALLY wanted something else, ie. Evo. I am hearing this from a couple responsible individuals who don't really care about how fast they are because someone will always be faster but me, I care how much power the car I buy puts down and besides the SRT-4 and EVO there isn't really anything that will satisfy me I don't think... sure semi expensive to maintain however buying an RSX or something, eh... just don't think it'd do the trick. With all that being said should I go for the $25,000 used EVO IX or 05 VIII or should I get an SRT-4 because it's more affordable?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

You have to take into account the different lifestyle the military offers. I am not sure if you are enlisting to be weekend warrior such as myself or if you are going active duty. From the sound of it you will be active duty which means you don't lead the life that most of the people on here are used to. Take into account they have to pay rent, water, electric, and all the other normal bills. When you live on a military base a lot of these things are taken care of for you, but you will still have your small little bills that you have to pay here and there. Truth is that you have a lot less bills and can afford the Evo on less money than a normal person could. That is just my .02$ and think you should be able to get the Evo on that amount of money. I know when I go in I am getting deployed in September and plan on buying an 02 Z06 when I get back. What kind of bonus did you get upon enlisting also? That would be able to help you for a down payment. That is if you even got it.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

I would buy a cheap beater with cash, then save for the EVO. Making that kind of money, living in the barracks, and not having a car payment, you should be able to save $10-$15k per year.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

I make around 40k a year an money is tight at certains months of the year.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

if you are single then you should be able to afford one when you make E4 easily, if you get deployed then even sooner, but before your E4 I would strongly disscourage you from getting the car.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Not again!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=188673
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184817
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=185157

If you're not sure by now, you can't.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Mar 9, 2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

I would be National Guard for the Air Force if I end up with them, OR Army would be reservest. The key is I will be picking a job that allows me a job right out of training, medical or technical I would make sure that my military training can get me into a position soon after basic. I have a beater now that was half the reason. I COULD go active if I wanted to but I will cross that bridge when I get there, I'd think it'd be a good thing to do because chances are I would be in a nice area down south and if I bought an EVO then pff, sweet. I just wanted to know weather I should go with the SRT-4 and be VERY comfortable or your opinion on EVO ownership.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:31 AM

You only live once....

I sold my BRAND NEW RSX type S at a loss just because I realized that I really wanted an EVO and that I had made a bad decision buying the Acura. I have never regretted my decision.

Even unmodified, this car SERIOUS fun. Most of the maintenance you can do yourself. The gas mileage is not so bad. When you compare it to mustang or a vette this thing is damn miserly with gas. Unless I really get agressive the gas mileage is in the mid 20's.

Why not get a EVO VIII and save some money. You will have to look around to find one that is not been beaten to death. With some patience and a good eye for finding mechanical problems you can get yourself a real deal. Carfax is your friend.

After looking for months, I found myself a 03 that had low miles, hardly any modifications and wasn't a daily driver. If your worried about looks with the VIII, don't I ALWAYS get stares when I drive down the street.

Send me a PM if you need more info.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0rcedFed
I would be National Guard for the Air Force if I end up with them, OR Army would be reservest. The key is I will be picking a job that allows me a job right out of training, medical or technical I would make sure that my military training can get me into a position soon after basic. I have a beater now that was half the reason. I COULD go active if I wanted to but I will cross that bridge when I get there, I'd think it'd be a good thing to do because chances are I would be in a nice area down south and if I bought an EVO then pff, sweet. I just wanted to know weather I should go with the SRT-4 and be VERY comfortable or your opinion on EVO ownership.
ah ok, then probably not a good idea, buy a beater pray for deployment and plop a huge down payment when you get back
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Deployment, what kind of cash do you collect while gone, standard pay, over seas pay, hazardous duty pay... what else? how much does that generally amount to lol. Or hell should I ask to be deployed! lol
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0rcedFed
Deployment, what kind of cash do you collect while gone, standard pay, over seas pay, hazardous duty pay... what else? how much does that generally amount to lol. Or hell should I ask to be deployed! lol
for the air force you also get standard of living bonus I believe and it is three to six month deployments so you would get base pay plus if you are attached to an army unit in the combat theatre, (be a weather man or fire support) like say Iraq instead of Kuwait you get fire pay so about an extra 1500 on top of your base pay, get married and you get food allowance $230, plus housing allowance (price depends on area)
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

That sounds saWEET, now all I'd have to do is hope I come back in one piece. How much roughly for an E-2 do you think I'd rake up in a 4-6 mo deployment... oh **** I'd be national guard, reserve and active arent offering anything for enlistment, PJ's, EOD, Musicians and combat controllers is all they have open. So I have to go guard if my job is important.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

the extra deployment pay is the same for everone, rank doesn't matter, if you want to stay safe in the army, go aviation, if you want to stay safe in the airforce, then pretty much any job, you will always be on a secure base guarded by us Army guys, I wish I went to the air force, instead of army aviation I could be doing my job instead of sitting here on the computer all day!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Your Army aviation? Officer? Why are you at a computer... see in partial that kinda pisses me off, if I went in the AF I'd be baby sat by the Army because the AF is too ***** to have there own guards or something. I'd want to have SOME action just not too much. I think I'd feel weird or looked down on if I was with the AF being protected by a branch I was once in.

Quick Reply: The official Can I afford an EVO? Thread.