Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hsk Ssqv Help, Question!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even if you recirc your hks ssqv... i dont see the point... it wont perform any better than you stock bov... the stock bov is actually very good.. only reason you would want an aftermarket one on an evo is for the sound, at the expense of your car running crappier. If you recirc, you'll lose the sound, so it's pointless.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kEvo VIII MR
+1

You can run the BOV without recirculating, but you would need a tune...
Aggghhhh, no!!! Do not say this again, please! You are mistaking a BOV with an intake. Both aren't recommended, especially as first mods, but the intake can be tuned for...a VTA BOV cannot. There is nothing in a tune that allows the VTA BOV to work. You can only run a VTA BOV after removing the MAF when running a speed density setup with a standalone EMS or MAFTPro.

Even with the recirc kit, the SSQV causes problems. It's just not worth the money. Sell it and get a good recirculating BOV like I listed above.

93_FD, that's for you, too.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:19 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Even with the recirc kit, the SSQV causes problems. It's just not worth the money. Sell it and get a good recirculating BOV like I listed above.
Can someone link me to a thread that explains why the HKS Super Sequential (when recirculated) does not work well on the Evo?

Originally Posted by PANGES
even if you recirc your hks ssqv... i dont see the point... it wont perform any better than you stock bov... the stock bov is actually very good.. only reason you would want an aftermarket one on an evo is for the sound, at the expense of your car running crappier. If you recirc, you'll lose the sound, so it's pointless.
Here are some results from the same day, same boost settings, minimally modded car ('03 with TBE, K&N panel filter, EBC), logged with E-01... Both data sets are 3rd gear info from a 1st through 4th gear, drag-style pull.

Stock CBV:
21.8 PSI at 5670 RPM (peak recorded boost)
20.5 PSI at 7250 RPM (last recorded boost)

HKS SS (recirculated, using adapter to fit to stock piping):
21.7 PSI at 5736 RPM (peak recorded boost)
21.4 PSI at 7250 RPM (last recorded boost)

Last edited by Jack @ EvoStore; Mar 11, 2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

stock 03 BOV is not a very good BOV, it leaks when you turn the boost up. As for the sound just get a filter and ther it is
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:21 AM

ive had my ssqv ver2 for about 2 months now.. no problems at all?? it is a loud bov, but other than that i love it... (i had no idea there were so many complaints with hks bov??)
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:07 AM

I too have the SSQV version 2. I am running it vented and i have not had any problems with my car.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i think that if you run the ssqv recirculated, it runs fine. only if you run it vta, then you'll run into problems. if i'm wrong, someone show me a thread where the person has a problem with the bov when its recirculating, its always because its VTA.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

There is nothing in a tune that allows the VTA BOV to work. You can only run a VTA BOV after removing the MAF when running a speed density setup with a standalone EMS or MAFTPro.
Shhh!

Don't tell that to my car. I've been VTA on the SSQV for over a year, with ZERO problems. All I'm tuning with is an AFCII, never been flashed.

I do plan to recirculate here soon, but only because of the noise, not any driveability problems.

Have you personally run an SSQV on an EVO, Warr?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i ran one on my 03 both vta and recirc'd ... had the same stalling problems both ways... and yes i reset my ECU each time. I got use to it, and learned how to make it not stall but doesnt mean it was running correctly, i will say that thing held boost up to 25 like a champ. i would use it again if i had one available but i wont buy it again. i have a greddy type S knock off that came with my UICP, i had no stalling issues with running that VTA but i think it being a knock off hurt because it didnt hold boost very well.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Aggghhhh, no!!! Do not say this again, please! You are mistaking a BOV with an intake. Both aren't recommended, especially as first mods, but the intake can be tuned for...a VTA BOV cannot. There is nothing in a tune that allows the VTA BOV to work. You can only run a VTA BOV after removing the MAF when running a speed density setup with a standalone EMS or MAFTPro.

93_FD, that's for you, too.
...listen to this guy. I did. Best thing I did was remove that crappy kit...my car runs great now, no idle issues or other bs. Yeah, the kit looked good at the time I bough tit for my VIII as well, but it has proved me wrong too many times. Don;t get me wrong, I love HKS products, they make some great stuff. No matter what I have done, I could not get that SSQ w/UICP to work correctly.....

Anyone want to but an HKS SSQ v.2 w/UICP really cheap!!!!!
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I just want the UICP, PM me.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alby988
i think that if you run the ssqv recirculated, it runs fine. only if you run it vta, then you'll run into problems. if i'm wrong, someone show me a thread where the person has a problem with the bov when its recirculating, its always because its VTA.
The recirculation kit will help off throttle enrichment, but the SSQV can not stay open at idle. If your DV doesn't open at idle, you will experience irratic idle and stalling. The SSQV is not meant for use with a MAF sensor. It's a great BOV for MAP based ECU systems though.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I'mStock
I just want the UICP, PM me.
you and about 30 others who have pm'd me already...sorry local pick up only. And only selling it as a complete setup. Not seperating...
Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I commend you guys for not bashing the OP about this BOV.
But I still don't understand "Why" people asking "Why" they are having problem with it. Some people don't seem to have problem with it doesn't mean it will work well for everyone. In fact it is proven that far more people have problem with it than not.
It's like a good looking chic with "STD" tatooed on her butt. Everyone wanna hit it no matter the cost.
So quit being a ricer and use a proper recir vavle! or suit up and convert to SpeedDensity.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

it's like mixing h2o with oil. I had it when was stock it work all rigth then I started moding then performance went to ****.

Quick Reply: Hsk Ssqv Help, Question!