Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealer wants an evening with my EVO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer wants an evening with my EVO

This dealership is only getting 2 Evos all year, or at least thats what they claim. I bought the first one about a month ago. Blue, sunroof, big wing. They have already cashed my $1000 check(which I was preinformed of). I'm paying MSRP and they are giving me couple hundred less for my car than I wanted for it(bout 400 under trade-in blue book).

They want me to leave it at the dealership, in the showroom for an evening so they can show a few interested customers. No test drives and I can be there the whole time. They are even suppose to call me before they get it off the truck.

What are your thoughts on this? What is this worth to a dealership. I think that it would be my right to not do it.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

i say don't do it
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

eh, making friends with the dealer is never bad.. especially if you plan on modding your car..

-Zach
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

the dealership won't give you special permission to put on parts that would void the warranty so i say dont do it
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Dealer wants an evening with my EVO

Originally posted by AutoXer
This dealership is only getting 2 Evos all year, or at least thats what they claim. I bought the first one about a month ago. Blue, sunroof, big wing. They have already cashed my $1000 check(which I was preinformed of). I'm paying MSRP and they are giving me couple hundred less for my car than I wanted for it(bout 400 under trade-in blue book).

They want me to leave it at the dealership, in the showroom for an evening so they can show a few interested customers. No test drives and I can be there the whole time. They are even suppose to call me before they get it off the truck.

What are your thoughts on this? What is this worth to a dealership. I think that it would be my right to not do it.
Tell the dealer to give you the $400 more you wanted for your trade-in and you will do it ... the object for the dealer is to make money, so if he's looking to sell one down the road by showing yours off, then he can give you the $400 more for your trade. Personally, I wouldn't want people ing all over my new purchase ... unless I was compensated well for it or it was already in possession.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zyounker
eh, making friends with the dealer is never bad.. especially if you plan on modding your car..

-Zach
make friends with the Techs, Service Writers, and Parts Guys...making Friends with sales People Will not do anything...I know, I Sell Cars
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Well technically it's not your car until you sign the contracts and the ownership of the car changes hands right?

I had a $1000 refundable deposit down on my car, and it was done on a credit card. So they had $1000 of my money, not just some uncashed check. Even though they had my grand they still technically owned the car until I signed the contracts and stuff.

It's probably kind of a gray area. If they knew the car was sold they shouldn't be letting others put their paws on it. If you're there I think that would be fine because you can witness everything that happens.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a straight up jerk of a dealer. Unless you are already extremely satisfied with the price, once you've put money down towards the car, its yours. Once those wheels hit the road off the truck, I'd get in it and drive away. That is unless the dealer wants to sweeten the deal for me, since they now want to "rent" my car to show off.

For the most part, I'd say NO.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by iodine23
Well technically it's not your car until you sign the contracts and the ownership of the car changes hands right?

I had a $1000 refundable deposit down on my car, and it was done on a credit card. So they had $1000 of my money, not just some uncashed check. Even though they had my grand they still technically owned the car until I signed the contracts and stuff.

It's probably kind of a gray area. If they knew the car was sold they shouldn't be letting others put their paws on it. If you're there I think that would be fine because you can witness everything that happens.
True ... if the dealer is only showing it ... then it's not a big deal at all. Just be there so you are sure that they don't drive it! And if they do --
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by purecoda
...once you've put money down towards the car, its yours.
Not even one bit true. The car isn't his until all the contracts are signed, he's taken delivery and driven the car off of the dealers property.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Not true! A deposit only makes you 1st in line ... if somebody else puts down a larger deposit, and agrees to higher price, etc ... you could lose it. But if this dealer gave you its word, then most likely you are safe ... hopefully. Think of this way ... not to freak you out, but if the other potential buyer says that he'll pay over MSRP right now for it ... then what do you think the dealer is going to tell you = bid higher or take a hike. Just a thought ... not to freak you out bud ... but money is money, especially when the car industry is suffering right now.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Funk that man. Either get a better deal for your Evo, or get your grand back. I would avoid this dealer. Check out www.carmax.com They have had quite a few Evo's BELOW MSRP, and the will transfer it as close as possible to you.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

charge em $3000 a night
Old Apr 4, 2003, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by purecoda
Funk that man. Either get a better deal for your Evo, or get your grand back. I would avoid this dealer. Check out www.carmax.com They have had quite a few Evo's BELOW MSRP, and the will transfer it as close as possible to you.
I don't see any new evo's at carmax
Old Apr 4, 2003, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Re: www.carmax.com - what a horrible site...

I just checked out that link, http://www.carmax.com/. That site could use some work . I couldn't even find easy way to do a search through every enrolled dealer for a new car.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants an evening with my EVO