Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OEM Glass or After market Glass?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Glass or After market Glass?

Ok my drivers door window got broken out and im going to get it replace. is there any diffrenence between paying 540.99 at the dealer or paying 189.99 at a local glass store?

Any information or comments will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Chris
Old May 4, 2006, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Aftermarket glass is usually cheaper & thicker than OEM glass.

I went with aftermarket glass when I had to get my windshield replaced.
Old May 5, 2006, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

bUMP
Old May 5, 2006, 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get plexi glass but since you live near a lake you make need to break it
Old May 5, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by [Cyanide]
Aftermarket glass is usually cheaper & thicker than OEM glass.

+1
Old May 5, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
get plexi glass but since you live near a lake you make need to break it

if you take out the glass can a plexi glass place cut you piece just like that.

with the bend in it like it has
Old May 5, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I just replaced my windshield with a non OEM version, way cheaper , the little mistu diamond on the glass is not worth ~$300
Old May 5, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

make sure meets or exceeds manufacturers specs.....If your window motor or anything associated with that goes out and your try to get it replaced under the warranty, mitsu will point to the non-oem glass as the reason unless it meets or exceeds oem specs
Old May 5, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Look for PPG or LOF on the glass.These are two of the biggest producers of automotive glass products.They meet or exceed OEM.
Old May 5, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aftermarket glass is not necessarily thicker, thinner, weaker, etc. In general it IS lower cosmetic quality in that it will have more scratches, chips, etc. All glass sold in the US has to meet the US safety standards- and that's it. The purchaser (Nissan, Mitsu, etc) says what cosmetic defects are allowed- no more than three scratches 2mm long, etc. The aftermarket does not have these tight cosmetic standards to meet so they scrap less glass and therefore it is cheaper. Sometimes thicker glass is lower price not more expensive (it is for windshield glass) because thicker means they break less and have a higher yield so cost is lower. I worked in an auto glass mfg plant and stuff that would not meet the OE cosmetic requirement we would often use for aftermarket if the OE allowed.

For door glass I would buy aftermarket with no hesitation at all. Just look at it first before it is installed and check for visible chips or scratches.

edit: there is a HUGE markup in glass, esp at the OE level. We would sell the OE mfg a windshield for $60 and it would list for $500+ at the dealer (this was 10 yrs ago).

Also note the "OE spec" angle is BS. The OE has a cosmetic spec and also a spec for the "form" (shape) and size of the glass. The aftermarket does not necessarily meet this spec because it is not given out to the aftermarket. The aftermarket makes glass by buying an OE piece and measuring it and reverse engineering- they don't have the factory drawings to meet their specs unless they stole them. The only specs aftermarket glass will meet (in general unless they luck out) is thickness (matches the original) and meets the federal safety spec (which they have to)- and that's all you need to worry about.

Last edited by Steve_P; May 5, 2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old May 5, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

yea but they are probably giving your regular lancer windows... evo windows are different... slightly thinner to save weight i remember this when the evo 7 and 8 were coming out...
Old May 5, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by [Cyanide]
Hmm, when did you get your windshield replaced? I had mine done in December and at the time the only place to get an Evo windshield was direct from Mitsubishi in Japan.
Old May 5, 2006, 04:30 PM
Account Disabled

My windshield is starting to get those perma-specks and I was thinking about calling my dealer to get a replacement. Thanks for the info Steve. You probably just saved me a couple hundred dollars.
Old May 5, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steve_P
aftermarket glass is not necessarily thicker, thinner, weaker, etc. In general it IS lower cosmetic quality in that it will have more scratches, chips, etc. All glass sold in the US has to meet the US safety standards- and that's it. The purchaser (Nissan, Mitsu, etc) says what cosmetic defects are allowed- no more than three scratches 2mm long, etc. The aftermarket does not have these tight cosmetic standards to meet so they scrap less glass and therefore it is cheaper. Sometimes thicker glass is lower price not more expensive (it is for windshield glass) because thicker means they break less and have a higher yield so cost is lower. I worked in an auto glass mfg plant and stuff that would not meet the OE cosmetic requirement we would often use for aftermarket if the OE allowed.

For door glass I would buy aftermarket with no hesitation at all. Just look at it first before it is installed and check for visible chips or scratches.

edit: there is a HUGE markup in glass, esp at the OE level. We would sell the OE mfg a windshield for $60 and it would list for $500+ at the dealer (this was 10 yrs ago).

Also note the "OE spec" angle is BS. The OE has a cosmetic spec and also a spec for the "form" (shape) and size of the glass. The aftermarket does not necessarily meet this spec because it is not given out to the aftermarket. The aftermarket makes glass by buying an OE piece and measuring it and reverse engineering- they don't have the factory drawings to meet their specs unless they stole them. The only specs aftermarket glass will meet (in general unless they luck out) is thickness (matches the original) and meets the federal safety spec (which they have to)- and that's all you need to worry about.

+1