Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

They used the wrong oil!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry They used the wrong oil!!!

I noticed today that the service department that changed my oil put a sticker on windshield. It says 5W-30! The Evo needs 10W-30. I'm furious! I don't have a service invoice because they did it for free. I bought my car with only 800 miles on it, but it was over 5 months old, and the oil looked quite dirty so they agreed to change it for free. That was 1000 miles ago. I sure hope they didn't do any damage. I'll call them Monday and have them look up my invoice. If it says 5W-30, they better change my oil again for free. I just don't understand why service techs can be so retarded!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

The car is fine....I run 15w-50 in the summer and 10-30 in the winter. It wont blow the car up or hurt it in anyway shap or form....On the bright side atleast they put oil in it?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Your fine.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
It wont hurt anything. I mean think about it. Its oil. Just swap it out if your that worried.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travman
....On the bright side atleast they put oil in it?

Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

As long as it's synthetic oil you're fine.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:09 AM
MrB

Just use the oil. At least put some miles on it and get some kind of use out of it. Waste of oil if they change it.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

For those who don't know, oil is a viscous fluid that changes thickness, or viscosity, based on temperature. The lower number is the "cold" viscosity (specified by the W - for Winter), followed by a dash, and then the "hot" viscosity.

So your oil is only a tiny bit different then 10W-30. Most would agree that a 5W30 is a better oil in general because it flows better at lower temperatures. As someone said earlier - just make sure it's Mobil-1 or better.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Your FINE!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Be thankful they put oil in it and tightned the drain plug. I know a someone that took their car into the dealer and when he got home found there was almost no oil left in the car. We checked the plug and it was barely on.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
I noticed today that the service department that changed my oil put a sticker on windshield. It says 5W-30! The Evo needs 10W-30. I'm furious! I don't have a service invoice because they did it for free. I bought my car with only 800 miles on it, but it was over 5 months old, and the oil looked quite dirty so they agreed to change it for free. That was 1000 miles ago. I sure hope they didn't do any damage. I'll call them Monday and have them look up my invoice. If it says 5W-30, they better change my oil again for free. I just don't understand why service techs can be so retarded!
If I'm too lazy to change my own oil I always bring my own. I keep a bench stock of filters and drain plug crush washers, and 5 quart jugs of 10W30 from Wal Mart. If you just go to the service station and tell them you need an oil change, they'll put whatever they see fit. And if you weren't charged a small fortune for your oil change, chances are the 5W30 rating isn't what you should be worried about. You should be worried they put non-synthetic oil in your car.

People need to realize that your car needs special treatment, and if you aren't always watching the people that touch your car for whatever reason, they will screw it up...
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

dude damaged?your joking right.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

I did some reading: http://www.texacoxpresslube.com/carc...viscosity.html

It looks like you guys are right. I was worried for nothing.

I figured the 5W-30 would be too thin, especially during the hot weather we've been having. I thought this might result in the oil getting to hot and thin to to protect the engine. After reading that article it looks like 5W-30 and 10W-30 have the same High-temperature high-shear-rate (HTHS), which means when the engine is fully warmed up, both oils have the same ability to protect. It says:

High-temperature high-shear-rate (HTHS) viscosity is an indicator of a motor oil's resistance to flow in the narrow spaces between rapidly moving parts in fully warmed up engines. The most common test here is ASTM D 4683, which simulates the conditions found in an engine's crankshaft and connecting rod bearings, as well as other narrow regions. This measurement has important implications for such factors as engine fuel economy, valvetrain wear and bearing protection.

I'll probably just leave it in there until I reach the next scheduled change. I'll be sure to switch back to 10W-30 though. I might consider using 5W-30 though in the winter because it's thinner during cold startups.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
I did some reading: http://www.texacoxpresslube.com/carc...viscosity.html

It looks like you guys are right. I was worried for nothing.

I figured the 5W-30 would be too thin, especially during the hot weather we've been having. I thought this might result in the oil getting to hot and thin to to protect the engine. After reading that article it looks like 5W-30 and 10W-30 have the same High-temperature high-shear-rate (HTHS), which means when the engine is fully warmed up, both oils have the same ability to protect. It says:

High-temperature high-shear-rate (HTHS) viscosity is an indicator of a motor oil's resistance to flow in the narrow spaces between rapidly moving parts in fully warmed up engines. The most common test here is ASTM D 4683, which simulates the conditions found in an engine's crankshaft and connecting rod bearings, as well as other narrow regions. This measurement has important implications for such factors as engine fuel economy, valvetrain wear and bearing protection.

I'll probably just leave it in there until I reach the next scheduled change. I'll be sure to switch back to 10W-30 though. I might consider using 5W-30 though in the winter because it's thinner during cold startups.
That's all well and good but what kind of oil did they use (Brand and grade)?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

I personally use moile1 full synthetic 5W-30. It flows better than 10w30. Our evos have many more oil passages since its turboed. If i remeber right, in the manual it says both 5w-30 or 10w-30 are OK.

Quick Reply: They used the wrong oil!!!