Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quick rev before shutting off motor?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick rev before shutting off motor?

So I went for a ride with my friend for his first time in my EVO and I let him drive. He's into performance cars, as am I, and he has an S2000. We get to where we are going, let the turbo cool off for a sec and he revs up the motor a couple hundred RPMs from idle and shuts it off.

He asks me if that's something I do and he says he does it everytime he shuts off his S2000. He says it clears out any fuel that might remain in the cylinder if the engine cycles a few times after the fuel system cuts off.

I forget why he said this is good, but I started to do it. Later, I thought about it and makes sense to me. Fuel isn't a very good lube and if it's on the cylinder walls during starting it will increase wear. Plus, any extra fuel making it's way into the oil in the cankcase, reduces it's lubing properties, at least sooner than from usual operation.

Plus, I think it would clear out any exhaust products like water and what not for the cylinder as well, which can only be a good thing.

So what do you guys think of this? Do any of you guys do this already?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never done that, I do let the car cool down for a minute or so then just shut if off.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive had at times but never knew why, someone as well told me too but you answered it soo ill base it from your info. you've gave. But the real question is, does it really help out by doing it???
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:42 PM

People used to do that with carburated motors but its pointless in our cars its
not great for the turbo hence people run turbo timers
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:53 PM
Ike
Evolving Member

This is something that could help prevent flooding, but in todays cars unless you drive a rotary it's useless. If there is another reason to do this I'm unaware of it...
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo9"Miss Rose"
ive had at times but never knew why, someone as well told me too but you answered it soo ill base it from your info. you've gave. But the real question is, does it really help out by doing it???
Well, think about it. When you shut off, you shut off the ignition and fuel is going to be unburned in at least some of the cylinders. The engine comes to a stop from idle pretty quickly and may not have ejected all of the fuel out. Giving the engine a little more momentum before shut down gives it a few more cycles to pump out any remaining fuel. Even with a few hundred RPMs, the momentum keeps it going for a sec or two. From idle it seems over in a fraction of a second.

I'm sure it's not going to be that big of a deal, but I don't think it could hurt. Having just air and oil in the cylinder sounds better than having air, oil, fuel, water, etc.

I don't know all though. I figured I'd get an opinion here.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:59 PM

Just dont rev too much you dont want to spool your tubo right before shuting down
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by czevo
Just dont rev too much you dont want to spool your tubo right before shuting down
I don't think that would be an issue. Turbos don't nessesarily spool due to revs, but rather they spool to load. I rev from 900 or so RPM to less than 1400 RPM. I doubt a quick rev will heat the turbo any measurable amount or get it spinning too fast. The engine has mechanical oil pump and will pump until it stops. Like I said I cool down before this anyways. The boost/vac gauge barely flicks. I think I'm safe by a long shot.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:30 AM

I have always done this with any car i had. Never was told to just did. Im going with your reason now. lol
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blueboost
I have always done this with any car i had. Never was told to just did. Im going with your reason now. lol
It sounds cool too.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

have never heard of this ****. Must be a VTECHHHHHHHHHH thing. We ain't riding a motorcyle so no need to rev it before turning it off.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
have never heard of this ****. Must be a VTECHHHHHHHHHH thing. We ain't riding a motorcyle so no need to rev it before turning it off.
Thanks for the truly stimulating input. I mean if you've never heard of it, it must not exist.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:28 AM

how would giving it gas help release gas from the cylinder. when you push the pedal the throttle position sensor tells the ecu to start adding fuel. at idle there is minimal amounts of fuel going into the cylinder, hence it being idle.

while at 1500-2k rpm turning off your motor would only be leaving extra fuel in the cylinders. which is why it takes a lil longer to actually wind down to being completly off

in my mind this goes right in the same category as giving it throttle right after you start your car to warm it up or whatever the hell people think it helps lol
Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

^ i always chuckle when people start their car then floor it to warm it up!
Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 96TSi
how would giving it gas help release gas from the cylinder. when you push the pedal the throttle position sensor tells the ecu to start adding fuel. at idle there is minimal amounts of fuel going into the cylinder, hence it being idle.

while at 1500-2k rpm turning off your motor would only be leaving extra fuel in the cylinders. which is why it takes a lil longer to actually wind down to being completly off

in my mind this goes right in the same category as giving it throttle right after you start your car to warm it up or whatever the hell people think it helps lol
This is not the case. When you shut the motor off, the fuel system shuts off with it. This happens at idle as well as at elevated RPMs. The difference is the engine cycles a few more times before it stops than it would at idle, pumping air through the engine while the fuel system is off.

Also when I shut down, I'm not holding the throttle open when I turn of the key; the throttle is closed when I do this. I only throttle to get the RPMs up. Once they are up it doesn't need to be open anymore and they start to fall, then I shutdown.

The extra fuel isn't why it takes longer to wind down; it's the rotational inertia that does this. It's not like the ignition system is on to ignite the supposed fuel anyways.

Quick Reply: Quick rev before shutting off motor?