Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

oil temp rises when TT is on...

Old Jul 20, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil temp rises when TT is on...

I've noticed it but hadn't really paid attention to it much. After a cruise or so, i park the car and sit in it while the tt is counting down and I notice that the oil temp gauge starts to rise. It seems like the tt is letting the motor heat up the oil instead of cooling it down. Should i just start turning off the motor instead of letting it run?

I know it's the oil cooler that's helping. When i was at the track, the oil temp gauge was a lil high and when I left the track and cruised home on the interstate, the gauge drop quite a bit.

What do ya'll think?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its normal for a car thats idling to obtain higher oil temps than when cruising.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

what the temp normallly and how much higher does it go. Yes it is normal for the temp to go up because there is now air traveling through then engine. Have you checked your oil lately
Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is very normal and is why I don't like to use a turbo timer. Why sit at idle to cool down the system? It makes no sense. It's best to cool everything down by staying out of boost the last few minutes while allowing the oil temps to also cool down.

However, one thing that you're probably mistaken about is that the oil temp you're seeing is not relevant to why you have a turbo timer. You have a turbo timer to help make sure the turbo cools down. Even if the oil raises 10* while idling, that's still WAY cooler than the turbo is, so the turbo is still getting cooled. However, I still prefer not to sit at idle when there is nothing to cool the engine/oil down, so I do all my cooling while driving at low rpm and out of boost. Then, once I stop, I only idle for a short time before shutting off.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The reason the oil temp is rising is because you are getting a reading from the oil pan. Yes, doing this will generally raise your oil temperature in the oil pan, BUT, that oil that is just getting hotter, is actaully cooling the turbocharger, and the oil inside of it to a point that it will not "coke up" or burn away and leave a residue on the metallic surface of the turbocharger which is the damage you are trying to avoid.
Yes it will raise your oil temp while your car is running after being driven, but you oil temp is no where near as hot as the turbo or oil that is left inside the cartridge after you shut your car off..
EDIT: damn, warr beat me to it,again
Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

+1/\

there is no air entering the duct for the oil cooler,therefore, no cooling affect is present. has anyone thought of tying in a water sprayer for the oil cooler as well?? just a thought...
Old Mar 2, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by badhabit90
+1/\

there is no air entering the duct for the oil cooler,therefore, no cooling affect is present. has anyone thought of tying in a water sprayer for the oil cooler as well?? just a thought...
I would just put a small puller fan like a spal fan if you were really worried about it.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

I would just put a small puller fan like a spal fan if you were really worried about it.
i think oil fan is a must for those of u who run gt35r.
since they are only cool by oil.
stock turbo has both cooled by water and oil for longevity.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Turbo Timer is a waste of $ IMHO because the point of allowing the car to idle is to ensure the turbine wheel slows down as much as possible before oil circulation stops due to a motor that is turned off. Cooking oil I believe is a thing of the past when turbos didn't have water cooling and people used non synthetic oil in their engines.

It's normal for oil to heat up @idle btw
Old Mar 4, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Timujin
Turbo Timer is a waste of $ IMHO because the point of allowing the car to idle is to ensure the turbine wheel slows down as much as possible before oil circulation stops due to a motor that is turned off. Cooking oil I believe is a thing of the past when turbos didn't have water cooling and people used non synthetic oil in their engines.

It's normal for oil to heat up @idle btw
I agree this is why only my turbo honda with a non-watercooled center is the only one i have on a timer.

But i still don't like the cold oil i might still build a carbon pannel for next winter and/or switch to a 5w30w mobil 1

Search this Thread