Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got my first ticket!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2003, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure the speedo is dead on. Compare to another car that has an exact reading on the speedo. My friend got out of a speeding ticket for the simple fact his speedo was off by slightly over 1 mph. It was a $90 ticket for doing 60 in a 45. He paid nothing.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
Lets see........ 2 years ago I was goign 77 in a 50 zone........ $495. You guys are lucky with the smaller fines. Luckily I went to court and got it lowered to $271. I got a ticket for tint about 5 years ago and it was $104....no fix-it ticket.
$495 for 27mph??? That's insane! The worst I ever had to pay in PA was about $150 for going 70 in a 45 zone... in my dad's old Ford Exploder of all vehicles. lol That was probably...oh...5 years ago, I guess... Oh well.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Got my first ticket!!!

Originally posted by limey
Man...... 64 in a 45.....I am so mad at myself for not paying attention....$106.00 fine ........has anyone else got a ticket for speeding in the evo yet?
Yep, 83 in a 65 two weeks back. Reduced to 75 in a 65 which I am still fighting.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

From experience, police can write you a ticket for "violation of the basic speed law" or "too fast for conditions" in which there is no radar gun. 90% of people will, like someone said earlier, just pay it for conveinence. I went to court on mine and won both because the officer did not show up. Judge wasn't to pleased with the officers. The "too fast for conditions" ticket, I sped up quickly to the speed limit (automatic w/shift kit, churped the tires in D between 1-2 shift, not on purpose). I asked him what my speed was, he said "fight it in court". One word of advice, always ask the officer for you to look at the rader gun. They shoot in your direction multiple times to get the fastest mph reading and sometimes the speed they have in memory is when you were slowing down, but they state the higher. If your in a group of cars, that only benefits your case. "Are you sure that mph is mine and not the guy in front off me, sir?" Also, dark paint colors are the most non-reflective surface's for the radar gun. Flat black is the best. I am not promoting speeding here, but sometimes the officer pushes the envolope to make a case. I learned my lesson early when I had 22 pts at age 20.

Last edited by Silencer; Apr 30, 2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Silencer
From experience, police can write you a ticket for "violation of the basic speed law" or "too fast for conditions" in which there is no radar gun. 90% of people will, like someone said earlier, just pay it for conveinence. I went to court on mine and won both because the officer did not show up. Judge wasn't to pleased with the officers. The "too fast for conditions" ticket, I sped up quickly to the speed limit (automatic w/shift kit, churped the tires in D between 1-2 shift, not on purpose). I asked him what my speed was, he said "fight it in court". One word of advice, always ask the officer for you to look at the rader gun. They shoot in your direction multiple times to get the fastest mph reading and sometimes the speed they have in memory is when you were slowing down, but they state the higher. If your in a group of cars, that only benefits your case. "Are you sure that mph is mine and not the guy in front off me, sir?" Also, dark paint colors are the most non-reflective surface's for the radar gun. Flat black is the best. I am not promoting speeding here, but sometimes the officer pushes the envolope to make a case. I learned my lesson early when I had 22 pts at age 20.

Very good information, thanks. I was indeed in a group of about 20 cars which all got pulled over so I'm sure he had no idea which car was doing what. In fact the guy ahead of me he ended up letting go, so I know for a fact he nailed me because of the car and nothing more.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

If you get a ticket for speeding, and the cop says he was 'pacing you', and using his speedo for a guage. Just ask him when his speedo was last calibrated. They usually do not have a clue.

Generally, they will give you a warning, since they won't have much of a shot in court w/o official documentation stating their speedo was calibrated on XX date. Plus, they have no clue when their cars are serviced.

They can be asses and make you go to court, but there's a very good chance it will be dismissed, or at least reduced.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't read all the post but.. Here is somethign that might get you off you dont' even have to go to court..

www.ticketassassin.com
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

i guess ive gotten the bigest ticket. $518 for racing in a constuction zone going 100 in a 60. Im lucky, i never payed for the ticket and my licence didnt get suspended!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Silencer
I learned my lesson early when I had 22 pts at age 20.
22points.. what the hell.. i wouldn't even let you walk on the streets with that many points..
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

I feel guilty and nervous just starting the GD car.
It is going to give me an ulser!!!
Every time I pass a cop I get nervous for no reason.
It must be my Catholic upbringing(always guilty)
Old Apr 30, 2003, 02:37 PM

Worth fighting?

Hey all,

I actually just received a ticket 2 nights ago. I honestly think the guy targeted me because of my car. It's a 1998 Prelude and it doesn't look like anything was done to it except my exhaust. My guess is that he heard my exhaust and followed me.

My question is whether or not I should fight it since it was in a construction zone.

Here is what happened:

I was exiting from my gym to go east. I had to cross the traffic that was going west first so I went to the middle area and stopped there. It's two lanes each way.

The cop was directly across from me in the strip mall across the street, right by the street. It was nighttime so I didn't know. Plus it was unmarked with no lights on top of the car. It also had its headlights on which were basically facing directly at me so I couldn't tell what it was and just ignored him. I should have known because the car wasn't moving even though he could have entered the street before me.

Anyways, the construction started right from that middle area and continued east. The road eventually hits a bridge that is being worked on. As I pulled out, I accelerated but not like I was racing for my life or anything.

There is a stoplight approximately 200-300 ft from the middle area I started from (it's a stoplight on one side of the bridge). It's green but there is a car that I come up to at that stoplight area. We then proceed onto the bridge and on the other side of the bridge is a stoplight. We are stopped here. There are about 5 cars in front of me so I'm pretty much in the middle of the bridge. I'd say the bridge is about 10-15 car lengths. I'm not sure exactly.

Now the cop is behind me. We start to go and he is on my *** to the point where I can't even see his headlights. I don't know it's a cop yet. As we leave the stoplight, there is a big metal plate in the road for the construction and I slow down, basically to like 5-10 mph cuz it's a pretty big bump. The metal plate is only about 100-200 ft away from the stoplight.

As I go over it, I see a red flashing light only from the car behind me and so I try to see the headlights and they are flashing as well. Great, it's a cop. So I pull over. He then says, "What's your hurry?!! I saw you speed off from back there (the middle area I was stopped at.). " He then says he clocked me at 49 mph. He says it's construction so it's a 25 mph zone.

He goes back to his car and within a few minutes, he's back with my ticket.

Here in Arizona, the ticket said that 21+ over the speedlimit is either school or court. My fee for school is $120. The class is about 6 hrs.

I don't think I hit 49 mph. He was behind the construction horses in the strip mall when he clocked me I believe. It was somewhat near rush hour time, 7:30 p.m. and there were a bunch of cars on the road going both ways. When I pulled out, it was open in the east direction a little. But, cars were coming behind me down the road.

My car at best would hit 50 mph in 5-6 seconds. I think it's 0-60 is about 7 seconds. I wasn't exactly trying to break a 0-60 record so I'm guessing 0-50 would be more than 7 seconds. I came up to another car by the time I hit the first stoplight area which is about 200-300 ft from the middle area I started from.

Going from 0-50 I think would cover a distance further than this I think. I have to calculate it. Assuming I was going 50 right in front of him, I would travel about 72 feet per second. In about 4 seconds I would be at the first stoplight.

I might have gone above 25, but I really don't think I hit 49 mph. I haven't read everything on that www.motorists.org website yet. I think the total distance I traveled from the middle area at the start to the middle of the bridge is no more than 500 ft.

I have to go take pictures and do some calculations still. My court date is 05.23.2003 and if I go to school, I have to go by 05.18.2003.

I'm wondering if it's worth it. Time to go to court and if I lose, I'll probably pay more than the school fee. Will my insurance be affected by school or court?

Well, this got long. Sorry if this should be in off topic or somewhere else. And, I didn't mean to steal the thread. Feel free to move it.

Any comments/suggestions?

Daric
Old Apr 30, 2003, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

well, if you lose....you wont be able to go to traffic school and you'll have the point on your record. I say go to traffic school, pay the fine and dont go down that street anymore for a while. That way you wont have your insurance going up.

Rob
Old Apr 30, 2003, 02:47 PM

Hey every1,
Got a question for u all. i swas going 62 in a 40, the ticket was 167. i'm 16, do u think the insurance price will raise any? also, it's my first speeding ticket.........
Old Apr 30, 2003, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

ive had one ticket in my life so far, [knock]... the very next day i ordered my valentine 1 radar and nothing since/. btw i went to traffic school so its not on the record. yah

ive had a couple of looks from the cops around town. they LOOOOVVVEE spoilers. no worries, i dont do anything wrong so they can just feed off the eye candy

then again, im still over 300 miles away from the the 600 mile break in so maybe ill run into some problems in the future. heh
Old Apr 30, 2003, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by saan2112
Hey every1,
Got a question for u all. i swas going 62 in a 40, the ticket was 167. i'm 16, do u think the insurance price will raise any? also, it's my first speeding ticket.........
If the laws are the same as CA......if you go to traffic school the point wont go on your record.

You can go to traffic school every 18 months to erase a point on your record. You cant erase points from previous violations....just any tickets after 18 months from your previous traffic school attendance. In CA point dissapear off your record after 3 years.

Quick Reply: Got my first ticket!!!