Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The dreadful Evo Interior!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by favre95
in the automotive world plastics are not going to very much from manufacturer to manufacturer. Sure there are the differences...but all plastic contains very much of one thing and that is "poly(you fill in the ending)"...whether it be poly this or poly that....it all makes a similar product.
So you know a super model is made of exactly the same ingredients as a butt ugly chick...they sure turned out different All plastics are not the same

I like the EVO interior BTW put the money where it counted (in the way it drives)
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:00 PM

I like the evo better for looks in general but i must admit that the interior of the sti is nicer.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really the interior is pretty functional. Plastics aside can't really complain. I've only seen pics of the STI interior so can't compare the two. I did hear the seats aren't as supportive as ours !!!!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:58 PM

From what I've seen, the interior on the Evo isnt that bad.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 02:17 PM

Wrx and Evo interior looks about equal. STI interior looks a little better, but not much. Most, not all reviewers will say this.
Just as more of them will complain about the gratuitous rear wing on the Subaru than the slightly more subtle rear wing on the Evo.
Don't sweat it.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Chronohunter...again...I never said all plastic is the same....some is better built, molded, whatever.....but in the end it is still plastic.....thats is what I am getting at. That is like saying that supermodel is superior to the ugly girl...sure she may look better but she is still human, still makes mistakes like anyone else. Thats all I was ever saying...I never said one plastic is better than another in terms of quality. But in the end platic is still plastic and it still a very cheap product...no matter how good the quality is....why else do all the manufactuers use it.....outside of it being on the light side in terms of weight....cause it is cheap to use. Again I am not saying that the plastic mitsu uses is as good as BMW or Audi...but they still use plastic for the same reasons that mitsubishi used it...that is what I am trying to say......suby uses plastic...mitsu uses plastic for cars that are in the same class for roughly the same price.....I'd be safe to say these plastics being used by both companies are virtually the same......again this is all I was trying to get across with this post.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The dreadful Evo Interior!

Originally posted by favre95
Do all the people that dog the lancer interior not realize that the dash and interior parts are made of identical parts as the imprezza(well not identical...same material). It's a thing called plastic....plastic is plastic....it all looks cheap in my opinion....but I must admit the layout of the lancer in my mind is much nicer. The imprezza lacks imagination....inside and out, for that matter. Don't get me wrong I like both cars very much...and I do own an EVO, but I am glad these cars are here like all he 20 million other people have said. But just remember the imprezzas interior is not far of the lancer in terms of elements used to make it, it's pretty much a matter of texture and layout of the interior peices people are seeing as cheap. Other than that these cars could not be any more similar as far as interior goes. I just don't understand the why the imprezza interior is all that much better???!!!
I always thought that the WRX interior was kind of nice... I'll admit that the very first WRX I saw looked to me to be very ugly, but it was still wrapped in the shipping stuff...

Anyway, I like the EVOs interior and I think it's not that cheap looking. Some friends told me that I finally got a car with decent interior and how cheap the Suubie was.. All the time I was rather proud of my WRXs interior.. Oh well....

Anyway, the EVO is nice as far as I'm concerned. There are some details that I do not care for such as the terrible seat adjsutments, the single din radio w/o CD changer and the lack of a boost gauge That last one is really a bummer. Same as the WRX, I really don't know why they make turbo cahrged, high performance cars and leave out the boost gauge...

I don't know how the interior will hold up, but so far it's fine. As far as the use of plastics... Well, what else are you gonna use? carbon fiber is waaayyy to expensive, same for aluminum and just about everything else is too heavy and difficult to fabricate. Anyway, every other manufacturer uses plastic too. BTW, I think the interior of the EVO (as well as the WRX) are way better than the earlier model Hondas and Acuras I have owned. Even the Mercedes Benz interiors tend to fall apart after relatively short time and my friend 540 new BMW is already falling apart in some places Sure, the Infinity, Acura TL's and Lexus have nicer interiors (as well as Caddies, Mercedes, Audis and VWs) but these are more luxury cars and you pay foe all that with money as well as performance compromises.