Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

why do evos dyno in 3rd gear and not 4th?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really understand what the big deal is with dynoing in a different gear, especially if you input the gear ratio into the dyno. The dyno will correct itself if you input the gearing, so I think that it doesn't really matter whether you use the 3rd or 4th gear. maybe someone can explain this better.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

does anyone read?

chassis dynos do NOT read torque!@!!! they read POWER and RPM. with those two values it calculates torque. it does NOT matter what gear you are in, except for the few reasons you wouldn't dyno in first/second, you go through the revs so fast a wideband will not give you readings that you can tune with, and like jbrennen said, you go through the revs faster then the turbo can spool. for 4th 5th and 6th gear you have high driveline losses thus your results will be scewed and appear to be low. chassis dynos CAN read torque, but the results do NOT tell you anything useful... because tire size, gear ratios, the deflection of the tire due to the tiedowns and all that stuff will effect the gear ratios (and thus torque), which would then have to be entered into the dyno. thats why you don't do that.

if you have ever done a dyno run where the thing wouldn't pick up the tach signal, you will notice that they readout in ground speed and HP. you can simply convert the speed to RPM if you know what gear it was done in. with RPM, you can calculate the torque with the HP graph.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by onefast4dr
I don't really understand what the big deal is with dynoing in a different gear, especially if you input the gear ratio into the dyno. The dyno will correct itself if you input the gearing, so I think that it doesn't really matter whether you use the 3rd or 4th gear. maybe someone can explain this better.
Several differences...

3rd gear typically has higher power loss inside the gearbox (because it's further from the 1:1 ratio which minimizes power loss).

In 4th gear, the car reaches max boost sooner in the RPM curve.

In 4th gear, frictional and inertial losses between the gearbox and the wheels are higher, because all of the driveshafts, axles, diffs, wheels, tires, brake rotors, etc., are all spinning faster.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ApexVIII
because it is a direct drive. the would be no increase in torque due to gearing . its the amount of torque the motor makes
The reason that some have recommended the 1:1 gear is so that there is minimal loss in the transmission. Unfortunately, using a tall 1:1 gear will result in excessively high wheel speed which will also result in unusually high losses (this time, frictional losses between the tires/rollers).

It has nothing to do with torque for the reasons mentioned in KevinD's post above.

-shiv
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
The reason that some have recommended the 1:1 gear is so that there is minimal loss in the transmission. Unfortunately, using a tall 1:1 gear will result in excessively high wheel speed which will also result in unusually high losses (this time, frictional losses between the tires/rollers).

It has nothing to do with torque for the reasons mentioned in KevinD's post above.

-shiv
there needs to be a standard, a basis of comparison. 1:1 is as good as any, decent load on the engine, without excessive wheel speed and parasitic drag. What would you recommend if not 1:1?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Noogles
beacuse in the 6 speed 4th gear is closer to the 5 spd's 3rd
With the IXs, the first 4 in the 5sp are the same as the first 4 in the 6sp.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Aug 31, 2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should I be retuned using 3rd gear instead of 4th then?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Borti
Not true.

STi's 5th gear tops out at 137 mph. The heatsoak from that would cause unreliable numbers.
Not true. The heatsoak from that would approximate real world racing conditions. I'd hate to get the car tuned in 3rd gear, then go out road racing and blow the engine up because there is more load and heat put on it in 4th gear.

EVOlutionary
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Should I be retuned using 3rd gear instead of 4th then?
Nope.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Not true. The heatsoak from that would approximate real world racing conditions. I'd hate to get the car tuned in 3rd gear, then go out road racing and blow the engine up because there is more load and heat put on it in 4th gear.

EVOlutionary
I am not so sure that a dyno simulates the amount of airflow you would recieve on the street. It seems there would be less heatsoak because of the extra cooling.

Then again the turbo itself does not actually recieve any of the airflow.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 04:19 PM

I have also wondered why my car was dynoed in 3rd. Now i have some reasons! Thankx guys.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Nope.
Cool because my ish mobs...!!!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
+1.

MR's and STi's are supposed to dyno in 5th.
That's crazy. So by the time you reach full spool you'll have a car that's basically going well over 130 gyrating on a dyno and giving you screwy readings as opposed to a car doing about 80-85 more firmly planted.

3rd gear is fine.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
does anyone read?

chassis dynos do NOT read torque!@!!! they read POWER and RPM. with those two values it calculates torque. it does NOT matter what gear you are in, except for the few reasons you wouldn't dyno in first/second, you go through the revs so fast a wideband will not give you readings that you can tune with, and like jbrennen said, you go through the revs faster then the turbo can spool. for 4th 5th and 6th gear you have high driveline losses thus your results will be scewed and appear to be low. chassis dynos CAN read torque, but the results do NOT tell you anything useful... because tire size, gear ratios, the deflection of the tire due to the tiedowns and all that stuff will effect the gear ratios (and thus torque), which would then have to be entered into the dyno. thats why you don't do that.

if you have ever done a dyno run where the thing wouldn't pick up the tach signal, you will notice that they readout in ground speed and HP. you can simply convert the speed to RPM if you know what gear it was done in. with RPM, you can calculate the torque with the HP graph.

Chassis dynos read TORQUE/RPM. Horsepower is a number calculated from TQ & RPM.

HP is the result of Torque x RPM / 5252

Not sure where you heard "Horsepower" or "Power" is measured...
Old Sep 1, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Try this link KevinD
http://madscientistmatt.blogspot.com...eter-does.html

Quick Reply: why do evos dyno in 3rd gear and not 4th?