Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 vs SLK32 AMG (good link)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't race too many people other than my friends for fun, and punk *** mustang owners. But I stay away from merbenz owners completey. Besides the "what's the point" attitude I take vs. any luxury sedan, AMG vehicles are wicked. My partner just bought a new E55...the thing is just plain stooopid. I personnaly think it's too fast for 99% of the people that would buy it, but hey some "old" people want to go fast too right?
Old May 3, 2003, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hail the evo
Old May 3, 2003, 06:04 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SLK32

Really? I thought most EVO 8s at the track were pulling low to mid 1.7 60ft times? I know the Pruven Performance one pulled a 1.728, but that car has a few bolt ons...

Do you think VHT does anything for an AWD car like the Evo?

Marc
I thought you were talking about your car with a 1.8 60', and not the Evo. I would imagine VHT would probably hurt the Evo as it would just bog instead of getting slight wheelspin.
Old May 3, 2003, 06:16 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by ricardon
I don't race too many people other than my friends for fun, and punk *** mustang owners. But I stay away from merbenz owners completey. Besides the "what's the point" attitude I take vs. any luxury sedan, AMG vehicles are wicked. My partner just bought a new E55...the thing is just plain stooopid. I personnaly think it's too fast for 99% of the people that would buy it, but hey some "old" people want to go fast too right?
LOL, well I'm only 22 years old. I hope you don't consider that too old. Heh. I hate the whole "status" thing that comes with the Benz. I got the car because it's actually a good value when you think about it. I bought one with the depreciation already sucked out of it (a shade over $40K with only 6k miles). It's relatively light, powerful, and has a retractable hardtop. I couldn't find another car that came closer to what I wanted, so I bought it.

For those of you wondering what the AMG runs in the real world (not those BS magazine tests you see)...before I put the drag radials on, I ran it dead stock at the local dragstrip. Ran a 12.84 @ 109mph. I can't wait to do the pulley for the blower.

Laters,

Marc
Attached Thumbnails Evo 8 vs SLK32 AMG (good link)-slk32_slip.jpg  
Old May 3, 2003, 06:17 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by UFO

I thought you were talking about your car with a 1.8 60', and not the Evo. I would imagine VHT would probably hurt the Evo as it would just bog instead of getting slight wheelspin.
I would think the same exact thing, but at the track I actually get worse traction than on the street with the AMG. Go figure.

Marc
Old May 3, 2003, 07:17 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SLK32

For those of you wondering what the AMG runs in the real world (not those BS magazine tests you see)...before I put the drag radials on, I ran it dead stock at the local dragstrip. Ran a 12.84 @ 109mph. I can't wait to do the pulley for the blower. Marc
Couldn't find any actual magazine performance test articles. A couple of driving impressions but they used manufacturer's claimed performance numbers.

I'm impressed. I'd have never guessed that a bone stock SLK32 could run in the 12s, especially after a 2 sec 60'. But the 109 trap speed tells loads about the power of that car.

I'll save my SLK32 battles for the twisty stuff where I am confident that I can offer an SLK32 a long hard look at EVO tail lights.

Last edited by jfh; May 3, 2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old May 3, 2003, 07:25 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by jfh

I'll save my SLK32 battles for the twisty stuff where I am confident that I can offer an SLK32 a long hard look at EVO tail lights.
You're probably right about that one, although I'm confident it would have more to do with driver skill than anything else.
Old May 3, 2003, 07:58 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

With equally skilled drivers, I think that as long as the road remains twisty and avoids too many long straights where the SLK 32 AMG would exploit its power advantage, the similar grip levels aided by EVO AWD, and stock 60-0 stopping distance of 100' will prove advantageous to the EVO.

It would be exciting though.

Ever do any road courses? I often see NJ drivers at club events held at Bill Scott Raceway in Summit Point, West Virginia. Your AMG could walk from an EVO on the SPR big track, but I'd have my way with you on the smaller Jefferson Circuit.
Old May 3, 2003, 08:07 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by jfh
With equally skilled drivers, I think that as long as the road remains twisty and avoids too many long straights where the SLK 32 AMG would exploit its power advantage, the similar grip levels aided by EVO AWD, and stock 60-0 stopping distance of 100' will prove advantageous to the EVO.

It would be exciting though.

Ever do any road courses? I often see NJ drivers at club events held at Bill Scott Raceway in Summit Point, West Virginia. Your AMG could walk from an EVO on the SPR big track, but I'd have my way with you on the smaller Jefferson Circuit.
Do you really think the Evo's AWD helps on a smooth, paved road course? I'm asking, because I'm not quite sure. But I know you ask practically any race car driver which they prefer, AWD or RWD, and they'll all tell you RWD. I think the major drawback to AWD is understeer.

I've been to Summit Point several times actually. I haven't put the AMG through the paces yet though. I used to go to a lot of the Car Guys events at SPR in my '98 ACR. You might be right about the Jefferson Circuit (only ran that once and it was the car control school), but keep in mind the AMG is a MUCH smaller car than the Evo. It's really easy to drift with and toss around, so I don't know... I'm guessing the EVO would be the easier of the two cars to drive fast, though.

Later,

Marc
Old May 3, 2003, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

bring ur slk32 to englishtown tomorrow so we can see the full 1320 b/w the 2 cars
Old May 3, 2003, 08:17 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by jfh

Couldn't find any actual magazine performance test articles. A couple of driving impressions but they used manufacturer's claimed performance numbers.
Not that I take these numbers with much more than a grain of salt, but here they are...

C&D: 13.0 @ 110 (8/01)
R&T: 13.5 @ 105.2 (12/01)
MT: 13.1 @ 108.7 (4/02)
ME: 12.8 @ 109 (4/03)

Marc
Old May 3, 2003, 08:19 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by Rollaway
bring ur slk32 to englishtown tomorrow so we can see the full 1320 b/w the 2 cars
Haha, so I can stand in line for 7 hours to get 3 runs? No thanx, little buddy. I'll go back to Island Dragway after I get my pulleys and juice in.

You going to the races tonight?
Old May 3, 2003, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

i might go but i think im supposed to be goin to some club in the west side.... give me a call if you go 2night and tell frank to bring that damn laser.... oh yea.. how about long island motorsport park? i went there last season with my talon and had as many runs i wanted... exit 70 LIE
Old May 3, 2003, 08:25 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by Rollaway
i might go but i think im supposed to be goin to some club in the west side.... give me a call if you go 2night and tell frank to bring that damn laser.... oh yea.. how about long island motorsport park? i went there last season with my talon and had as many runs i wanted... exit 70 LIE
Screw Long Island...worst damn traffic in the world. Island Dragway is a fast track and you can usually get a ****load of runs.

Frank is too big a wuss to take the Laser down. I might show up later tonight. It's all up in the air.
Old May 3, 2003, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

weakkkkkkkk

Quick Reply: Evo 8 vs SLK32 AMG (good link)