Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warning! Buy your own OIL

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2003, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by the evo wins
can you change your own oil without voiding the warranty?
Yes, make sure to keep all the receipts (filters and oils).

I've changed mine @ 933 and checked it about 100 miles later. The oil (Mobil 1) looks nearly brand new. They didn't drain the oil completely?
Old May 9, 2003, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

anyone change their own oil yet on the EVO?

i'm sure it's not any different than any other 4g63 right?

5 qts
what type of oil do you use Mobil 1 syn 10w/???
Old May 9, 2003, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jotan82

Yup.. I did at 1500 miles on the odo. Car has now 2200 miles. The only part I hated was that it was messier than the teg. The oil filter is facing down/vertical mount not like the tegs filter horizontal mount in the middle of the motor and I normally let the car sit for a whole night then change the oil on the next day.
Old May 9, 2003, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by jotan82

i'm sure it's not any different than any other 4g63 right?

5 qts
what type of oil do you use Mobil 1 syn 10w/???
I did it on my own. It's a bit less room than DSMs because of underbody panels. I used Mobil 1 10w/30 that I picked up at CostCo for ~$20/case and an OEM filter (comes with a crushable drain plug gasket) for $5.
Old May 9, 2003, 12:49 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DB8GSR
The oil filter is facing down/vertical mount not like the tegs filter horizontal mount in the middle of the motor...
That's about the only issue I had with it too. Expect to get lots of hot oil on your hand when changing the filter. Also, the filter on my Eclipse GSX was mounted horizontally, making it a much cleaner procedure than the Evo.
Old May 9, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by DB8GSR

Yup.. I did at 1500 miles on the odo. Car has now 2200 miles. The only part I hated was that it was messier than the teg. The oil filter is facing down/vertical mount not like the tegs filter horizontal mount in the middle of the motor and I normally let the car sit for a whole night then change the oil on the next day.
The car should really be driven just prior to changing the oil, the warm oil flows MUCH easier and makes for a more complete drain.

Changing your own oil (and other maintence) DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY, as other people have said. Just save your receipts for everything and keep a maintence log. The salesman at the stealership made me laugh when he was talking about the pit pass and all the "special training" required to maintain the Evo.

When changing the oil follow these simple steps:

1. Drive the car to normal operating temperature
2. Remove the old oil filter, allow it to drain, wear gloves if you dont feel like wearing oil.
3. Remove the engine oil pan plug, allow the pan to drain for 30 minutes or so
4. Replace the pan drain plug with a new crush washer every other time.
5. Clean the oil filter nozzle and then take a dab of new, clean oil and put it on the oil filter gasket.
6. Replace the oil filter an tighten according to the tightening instructions on the filter and/or box.
7. Fill the engine with new oil
8. Start the engine and allow it to run for a few minutes while you check for leaks.
9. Shut it down and clean up your mess, dispose of your old oil properly.

As someone else said, Costco is probably the BEST place to get your Mobil1, 22 bucks a case is an incredible price.
Old May 9, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Man... It really pays for your father to own an import auto repair shop!!! Especially when most of the techs are all Jamaicans that are so familiar with the EVO's already!!! Go ahead, eat your hearts out...
Old May 12, 2003, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

As someone else said, Costco is probably the BEST place to get your Mobil1, 22 bucks a case is an incredible price. [/B]
i got my mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 at walmart today for $18.88 for a 5 quart bottle.. picked up a couple of those... just in case.. now i just gotta get the oem filter and im doing my first oil change to my baby! @ 1300 miles!

then AMS's stg1 kit goes on!!! 321whp baby!!!! took them to 12.54 @ 112 mph!!! heh heh!!

btw, my stealership is asking an unheardof 80 dollars to change the oil!!!! they claim the oil alone is 50 bux!!!??? NUTS!!

Last edited by RENN-ART; May 12, 2003 at 12:52 AM.
Old May 12, 2003, 02:28 AM
Evolving Member

Who's AMS and what is the link?
Old May 12, 2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by spooldswede

btw, my stealership is asking an unheardof 80 dollars to change the oil!!!! they claim the oil alone is 50 bux!!!??? NUTS!!

10 bucks a quart huh?

Stealership service
Old May 12, 2003, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by Evilution
Looks like its these folks: http://www.automotosports.com/

As for the "Stage I" parts, it appears to be a secret so far
Old May 12, 2003, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did my first oil change yesterday at 1350, and it definitely is messy compared to other vehicles. What you said redphage! Especially the getting the oil warm part... doing an oil change with cold oil must be a b*tch man, surely you'd need more than 30 minutes to drain it that way! What I do is usually just wait until it goes drop by drop slowly, at that point waiting anymore is not going to make a huge difference.
BTW, my dealer parts guy tried to tell me that doing any work on the EVO will void my warranty, even changing my oil. I looked at him and told him that that was not true, and that in fact it wouldn't be legal... boy he gave me a look like "whatever, you are a smart ***". The sad thing is that I am right and he isn't, but other people out there could easily be convinced and then pay for a service that is easy to do yourself for just $30 instead of $60, and when you do it, you know it's done right!
Just to confirm what others have said... 5qts, oil looks clean after 200 miles of driving on it.

Pablo.
Old May 12, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evilution

AMS or Automotosports is the home of the 10 second Galant VR-4 last year... and they are now digging deep into the EVO8..

I believe they've had the highest trap of all the EVO8 US tuners so far! 112 mph baby!! Still on stock IC and turbo!..

This is only with their special tuning of an Apex'i S-AFC II and their own brand new AMS MBC and also their own designed 3" exhaust!

I'm getting this on my car this week!

Btw, since I am a distributor of their parts, if you feel you got a lot of answers from me, pls order it through me.. They are so busy with R&D that they can't get on here that often.. (Just check their manufacturer's thread and see how few posts are there)... So, we've made an agreement that we (Renn-Art.com) will help them in the distribution and marketing of their products..

Man, I can't wait to get their kit on!! It's such a gorgeous exhaust too, btw.. I'll take tons of pics once I get it on..

/Emil