Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2 FD's vs EvoVII

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2003, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 FD's vs EvoVIII

http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=184810
Old May 16, 2003, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Not nearly as bad as those damned Cobra boards. Sheesh those guys won't give the car ANY credit.

I've always loved the RX-7 in any form, and it's nice to see that many of the loyalists respect the Evolution. Only one guy said the car was crap, whereas on the Cobra boards, all BUT one guy said the EVO was crap.

Just goes to show how different people can be when they have different things. People with V8s tend to be ignorant and arrogant. I've owned my share of V8s, but I'll never say that I can take out any import.

Anyway, this thread is kinda a cool read. Nice post.
Old May 16, 2003, 02:41 PM

Yeah, those Cobra owners tend to be like that with every car ....

I love Evo's and just thought it was nice to run into one.
Old May 16, 2003, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Heh... Cobra owners think even other Fords are crap, they are about the most elitist prix you will ever have the misfortune to meet. I had them sneering at my '02 Lightning at the track, another supercharged SVT product.

Yet I test drove an '03 Cobra before buying the Evo, and a number feeling box I have never been in. Fast as stink, but dead steering, body roll from hell cornering, and the same generic Mustang interior I had on my '94 Gt, save for the seats. Everything on the car is dated except the motor and IRS.
Old May 16, 2003, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

As an owner of an FD RX-7 and an Evo, they are both great cars.

In actual wheel horsepower and lateral acceleration, the cars are pretty much even.

The RX-7 actually "feels" faster because of the massive power surge as the second turbo opens up around 4500 rpm, then you hit the torque peak way up at 5000 rpm.

The Evo's torque peak is at 3500 rpm, past that, the car's acceleration drops off. It's still accelerating at a really good pace, just not as much as it was at 3500 rpm.

The big win for the Evo in my mind is the capability to stomp on the throttle anywhere anytime on any surface, at any cornering attitude. I can probably exit a tight curve 10 MPH faster in the Evo than in the RX-7, because I can go full throttle while still in the middle of the turn.

And the Evo will run circles around the RX-7 on anything but dry pavement -- in rain, snow, dirt, grass, mud, gravel, you name it, it's no contest. And I actually think that my RX-7 (with proper tires) handles better in the snow than any other non-AWD car I've ever driven.

Last edited by jbrennen; May 16, 2003 at 04:14 PM.