Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Race Ramps vs. Rhino Ramps?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkkent06
dude i have a floor jack, but it won't fit under my front lip so i have to use the scissor jack to partially lift it so i can fit the floor jack underneath. THen jack it up, then put jack stands underneath, just for an oil change. it would be way easier with ramps.
Why in the hell would you want to jack an Evo up from the front? Its so much easier to jack up behind each front wheel well (at the jack points). I can do it even with my crappy tall *** craftsman floor jack and my car is lowered 2.5 inches.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really have that much side to side space in my garage, that's why. plus why would i want only one side of the car in the air?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by clarkkent06
I don't really have that much side to side space in my garage, that's why. plus why would i want only one side of the car in the air?
No side clearance? Wow you must have one tiny garage space! OK this is the idea behind using a jack:

1.) jack one side up in air
2.) place jackstand
3.) jack other side up in air
4.) place jackstand

You now have a car up in the air! Good luck!

P.S. It is best to use a block of wood when jacking to prevent denting/marring. Also, NEVER JUST USE A JACK. USE JACKSTANDS. Alternatively (I do this frequently) I will jack up the car using a floor jack, and place rhino ramps underneath it. If your car is not lowered, you will need a jack with a high lifting height to acheive this. Using this method you can just purchase four rhino ramps and place a rhino ramp under all four wheels (helps when you want to keep the car level, like when changing the drivetrain fluids).

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 22, 2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

haha, thank you EVOM for the basics of jacking up a car.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
People, stop being lazy and just buy a floor jack. For christ's sake.
Not trying to be lazy or shortcut, I think the majority of ramp owners just want to save time.. A set of ramps saves a lot of time down the road jacking up the car for periodic maintenenance and can be well priced compared to how ballin' your jack/stands are.

Good ideas guys, thanks.. Keep 'em coming.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OsoiCT9A
Not trying to be lazy or shortcut, I think the majority of ramp owners just want to save time.. A set of ramps saves a lot of time down the road jacking up the car for periodic maintenenance and can be well priced compared to how ballin' your jack/stands are.

Good ideas guys, thanks.. Keep 'em coming.
Set of jackstands $20
Floor jack $30
Block of wood (free when stolen from your neighbor's yard)

Race ramps $200

You decide...
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Do yourself a favor and go to Pep-Boys and buy an aluminum race jack for $80 or for $100 you get the same jack, but with 4 aluminum jackstands. If you get lazy, jack up the car and use one jack stand. Yes, it fits.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Set of jackstands $20
Floor jack $30
Block of wood (free when stolen from your neighbor's yard)

Race ramps $200

You decide...
Hence the reason I posted in the first place.. I am wondering if the $40 Rhino Ramps are trash, because they are cheaper than a floor jack.. The $30 for the floor jack is the absolute minimum, and I would probably post and ask about a $30 floor jack to ask if it was good or not... There are models out there costing $100, $200, or more.. Just as with the ramps.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OsoiCT9A
Hence the reason I posted in the first place.. I am wondering if the $40 Rhino Ramps are trash, because they are cheaper than a floor jack.. The $30 for the floor jack is the absolute minimum, and I would probably post and ask about a $30 floor jack to ask if it was good or not... There are models out there costing $100, $200, or more.. Just as with the ramps.
I have used a $20 dollar floor jack, and a $600 all aluminum snap on race jack. Both did exactly the same thing except the snap-on race jack went way lower and was able to lift alot higher with less effort. A jack is a jack. All they do is lift the car enough for you to place something under it to stabilize the car. Its so funny to see newbie car people post about these things If you have the cash to spend, I would recommend going to the nearest harbor freight and investing $80-$150 in one of the all-aluminum floor jacks they offer...they are really good for the money, and will last a long time without failure. If you don't have a floor jack, FORGET about wasting $200 on a set of freaking ramps. You will need the jack eventually. You cannot change your brake pads with ramps, or do anything with the suspension period (or even rotate your tires!!) Also please note that you won't be saving hardly any time by using ramps. It seriously only takes me 5 minutes to jack my car up (probably more like 2-3 minutes).

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 23, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

What are the bad stories about rhino ramps? My garage atm is cramped as hell so I sometimes use rhino ramps to make things easier.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

i bought the rhino ramps to change the oil...everything else i will take it to the dealer or something....the ramps are just easier than fooling with jacks and jackstands....i could borrow those from my dad....anyways i miss my truck...i didn't have to have jacks or ramps to change the oil in it
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have floor jacks, jackstands, and rhino ramps. I use the rhino ramps for oil changes every time- quick and easy, no need to remove the undertray for jack access.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kilgoja
i bought the rhino ramps to change the oil...everything else i will take it to the dealer or something....the ramps are just easier than fooling with jacks and jackstands....i could borrow those from my dad....anyways i miss my truck...i didn't have to have jacks or ramps to change the oil in it
Wait until you have to change the clutch! Oh wait you have a warranty!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:05 PM

I'm thinking about buying rhino ramps, can somebody tell me if they have to pushed up against something from sliding or do they not slip when inclining your car up it. Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't slip for me

Quick Reply: Race Ramps vs. Rhino Ramps?