Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Never leave your car at a dealership..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Really sorry to hear man and I sorta know how you feel. When I left my car at the dealership, I had scratches on my trunk and a deep, long scratch on my hood. After weeks of arguing, the dealership finally gave in and got them repainted.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just keep at it man, don't let them take advanatage.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't put it past some dude who works there to rip you off.
Don't let them get away w/ it. Keep us updated.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
Rice WILL NOT take any responsibility for anything that has happened. Hell, I even called into the PD to file a report and couldn't even get a cop out there to look at the car in person. So, along with having to pay for a new clutch and flywheel, along with installation, I get to pay for a new window and equipment.
thats fked up. the dealership should have to pay. they took liablity for your car when they took the keys. i would talk with a lawyer if i were you.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Just like Valet's...if your car gets busted up they are not responsible unless THEY did the damage. I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but that is why you pay insurance. The dealer only has liability for what THEY do to the car. Just like you can't sue Wal-Mart because someone jacked your car while you were inside shopping.

So unless anyone here can show proof that this specific dealer actually has responsibility, I think you're SOL.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:00 PM

the dealership is responsible. my car got broken into at the mitsu dealership, and they paid for everything and replaced everything just the way i had it.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

I Had a bad experience with RICE mitsu...
i suggest you go talk to the lawyer..
Old Dec 7, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

IANAL, but the dealership is responsible for taking reasonable precautions to protect your car and its contents--regardless of any signs/policies they have disclaiming responsibility.

But...leaving the stereo/ipod in the car for weeks is just asking for trouble. And I don't think Rice has a fenced-in storage area.

If I were you, I'd try to get them to split the cost with you. Explain that you were partially responsible because you left valuables in the car, and they were partially responsible because they didn't adequately warn you against that, didn't adequately protect the car (store it behind a fence or in a building), and don't have adequate security (guards, cameras, etc.) As I always say, remain calm--don't rant--make your point, and if they don't budge, escalate (get a lawyer).
Old Dec 7, 2006, 06:31 PM

I had this happen to my eclipse a few years back. It will be their responsibility. Call the magistrate and tell them the story, they will pay.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 08:50 PM
Account Disabled

Usually a peace officer will come out to file a report for a theft like that. Private property or public property...makes no difference. Crime is crime. Maybe they don't have peace officers around you. I would find out. Call the local PD and ask WHY WHY WHY WHY nobody would come out when you wanted to file the report. Get an answer and get the name of the person who provided it. They may end up sending somebody out.

In any event I would suggest contacting an attorney. Just because an organization posts a sign somewhere doesn't insulate them from all liability. They might like to think so but, in all likelihood, it was their own attorney who advised them to do that in the first place. Signs like that are designed to mitigate risk in the event of litigation.

If it were me I would be in the GM's office asking for documentation of past vehicle break-ins on their lot. If you can find JUST ONE you have a case for negligence. I'm not a lawyer but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. Best of luck Evo brother.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I appreciate all of your quick responses, knowledge, and support. In response to a few posts regarding cameras the cameras are positioned near the middle of the building and cannot see directly behind the building where my car was parked. I walked the lot looking for signs, cameras, etc. There are no fences surrounding the property and the only signs are warning that the property is under surveillence. It definately does look like an inside job though, very clean and professional.

My main concern is still getting the car repaired, I've only owned it for 4 weeks and haven't even had a chance to drive it but a few times before the clutch finally gave out. So, to say the least, ever since I owned this car it's been nothing but trouble. Insurance is on it though and I will be in communication with the right people to handle this problem.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Inside job, no doubt. Sue their asses.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
They are 100% responsible for any and all damages, threaten a suit, and follow through if they bluff.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

go back and jack someone else's crap, to replace yours...
Old Dec 8, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
Last time i left my car at the dealer it was stolen by one of their employees.

which dealership in nj?

Quick Reply: Never leave your car at a dealership..