Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Windshield Wipers w/a mind of their own.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Interesting.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitely see if the alternator is up to par. I believe some auto shops, such as autozone or advanced auto parts have a tool they can use to see if your amp is working properly.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DanJ
I would definitely see if the alternator is up to par. I believe some auto shops, such as autozone or advanced auto parts have a tool they can use to see if your amp is working properly.
I did get it checked at autozone today, alternator is good and battery. So far the car has been starting for the rest of the day. The only incident was this morning when it would not crank at all.

I'll probably be taking the car to Mitsu tomorrow morning. I'll let you guys know the answer to this problem once they find it.

Last edited by BBYBruno; Jan 31, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it may be the wiper switch might have shorted or a wire to a controller is loose or grounded. wiggle the wiring harness by the column with the wipers on to see if theres any broken wires. may need a wiring diagram.... or it might be something simple. ahhhhhh cars..... how delightful.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Well the car is at Mitsu right now, so i'll update you guys when I get some info.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

With the wiper problem - my girlfriend had same thing with her 240sx. No one knew what it was, and then all of a sudden it just stop doing it on its own.

Your start problem - I would relate it to cold temp, but it wasn't even that cold here today....I had same problem 2 days ago, the car has been sitting all day and it took me a while to start the car that day (only), had AutoZone check out my battery - it was fine. I had somebody tell me that in this kind of weather battery might malfunction
Old Feb 1, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

BBYBruno... I already know your problem... Its none of the above... its basically your sunroof hole is clogged therefore the water gets in and it shorted a couple of wires. have someone check out the wires near the driver side side step. near the hood pop thingy... hard for me to describe. but thats the first placce i would have you check. the wires there should be messed.

Pm me and I can call you to better describe it if ever.

Jose
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Well the dealer quoted me 3 different options today. Option1 $2,700, 2 $500-$700, 3 $500-700.

I'll give more details later, i'm at work now.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

my mom's minivan had the same problem..it wasnt too big of a deal because it would always work on command, but would just say hi to us once in a while. She finally got it fixed when it would only work when u would use the windshield washer fluid and I believe all they did was change the relay...not 100% sure though.

But a non-working wiper is very dangerous...try to get it fixed asap. Good luck!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I found this thread. What ever became of this. I went to turn my wipers on before and they just stayed on. Only way I could shut them off was to pull on the handle as if I was to use the washer sprayers.

They will come on and stay on if I turn them on anyway ie. Push up for 1 swipe, pull back to use the washer fluid, or if I turn them to on than back off agian they just stay on.

As I said I can get them to go off if I pull forward on the switch as to use the washer fluid. Im thinking its probably the switch but I wanted to see what was the fix in your car
Old Feb 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I eventually took my car back from mitsu and took it to someone else I knew. They charged me about $350 for the job. I had the same problem as you ^ but eventually they completely died. So what happened was water and salt corroded the wiring connectors so it shorted out my front windshield wipers, and fog light indicator on the dash. There is a box located by your left foot when your in the drivers seat. Thats were all the wires are located. Basically he just bypassed the bad wires and hardwired them, about 6-7 wires I believe. Oh and the problem with my car not starting, well there is a pin behind the clutch pedal (not exactly sure where) that was bent which was causing the problem. That was an easy fix. So I hope this info helps you. PM me if you have any other questions.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBYBruno
Oh and the problem with my car not starting, well there is a pin behind the clutch pedal (not exactly sure where) that was bent which was causing the problem. That was an easy fix. So I hope this info helps you. PM me if you have any other questions.
I wonder if that happened during your 5 second airborne flight.

Sorry, man, just had to bust your ***** about that again.

Anyway, glad you figured it out. Electrical gremlins can be the worst.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talon
I wonder if that happened during your 5 second airborne flight.

Sorry, man, just had to bust your ***** about that again.

Anyway, glad you figured it out. Electrical gremlins can be the worst.
lol *******. I was exaggerating ok! I saw we had a meet last week I believe. I was wondering if there's another one coming up, I havn't been to one since legacy village.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I went out this morning and it was fine. Ill check the box in question and take it from there
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

How can I stop the salt and water from getting at that? Ill have to see where its coming from. Sunroof as stated. Ill have to see hoe to unclog it

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers w/a mind of their own.