Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hiding VINs for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to start looking for taped VIN's at autox just to make people paranoid.
Taping VIN's? Are you kidding me?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:36 PM

haha im going to go with a clipboard and a "stanley mitsubishi" visor
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

You guys are making me paranoid! When I google my name, the first thing that shows up are the results of a Philly SCCA event (autocross) that I participated in. I highly doubt that that information would make it to a dealer, but it still makes me a little nervous none the less...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 06RS
You guys are making me paranoid! When I google my name, the first thing that shows up are the results of a Philly SCCA event (autocross) that I participated in. I highly doubt that that information would make it to a dealer, but it still makes me a little nervous none the less...
You're ****ed.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsu has known to void warranties simply for your name tied to your use of your vehicle to a SCCA event. Personally, I think it is insane. Subaru doesn't do this...to my knowledge.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Burklow
Mitsu has known to void warranties simply for your name tied to your use of your vehicle to a SCCA event. Personally, I think it is insane. Subaru doesn't do this...to my knowledge.
No, Subaru is much worse.

When the WRX came out, they gave every buyer a one year membership to the SCCA. Then if they found you had particpated in one of those SCCA events (Autocross, etc), they voided your warranty. Talk about entrapment.

No manufactorers like to warranty cars that have seen any form of motorsport, its just more pronounced when service departments have to deal with a car who's owner demographic is young and foolish.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

something like this would never hold up in court, just mention lawyer in a clam tone, and im sure they will resolve the issue
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i went to an scca autocross event and they told me to tape my plate just in case but they didtn take my vin.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

I am getting plastic surgery done before this racing season starts so I can really hide my identity and not worry about warranty issues or having my wife reconize me.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
something like this would never hold up in court, just mention lawyer in a clam tone, and im sure they will resolve the issue
Ok, sure.

You go tell that to the many Subaru owners over on Nasioc that lost this battle already...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Ok, sure.

You go tell that to the many Subaru owners over on Nasioc that lost this battle already...
So true, and all the Evo owners etc...

But it really is an issue of regional manager and cost of warranty work. And often also the dealership (most do warranty under 500 without having the company check it). But, I've had more stuff (and more expensive stuff) covered in the past few months on the almost 10 year old Porsche from the used car dealership I bought it from then I had covered on the brand new Evo in the 3 years I owned it Mitsu FTL.

But, why be paranoid? Somewhere there is record of someone buying the Evo, that automatically voids the warranty.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

why take the chance? try to use a fake name & put painters tape on your damn license plate and vin! /thread
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Trail Slide
why take the chance? try to use a fake name & put painters tape on your damn license plate and vin! /thread
Tape on license plate? Why does everyone keep saying this? Just take them off...

Put them back on after the event...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Tape on license plate? Why does everyone keep saying this? Just take them off...

Put them back on after the event...
were lazy
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

holy ****ing **** **** **** ****ing hell **** ****!!!! This is insane?! I had no idea I needed to look out for this. For the record.. to all those Mitsu ***s out there reading these forums, I DO NOT RACE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM! In fact, I don't even drive the car at all. She's on cinder blocks at all times!

Dayum!!!!

Quick Reply: Hiding VINs for autocross?