Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hiding VINs for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
No, Subaru is much worse.

When the WRX came out, they gave every buyer a one year membership to the SCCA. Then if they found you had particpated in one of those SCCA events (Autocross, etc), they voided your warranty. Talk about entrapment.
I've heard from my Subbie buddies they gave you the SCCA membership, but I never heard about the same ****-style warranty banning.

You're right. They are much worse. That's just trickery.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:17 PM

This is such bull****. What is the point of selling a high performance car if you don't want people to do stuff like autocross. Autocross is pretty tame, too. I've heard of people being called pussies for autocrossing ... and last time I went out to an autocross it was a bunch of nerdy old white guys there wearing bermuda short with skinny white-*** never seeing the sun legs. Also there was an over abundance of straw hats and fatness.

I seriously wish I hadn't ever bought this car. I hope Mitsubishi realises that they have alienated me for life. For the rest of my life I'm going to be on some **** Mitsubshi ****.

Not only do I feel like I can't autocross but this car is also equipped with a glass clutch so it feels like I can't drag race it either. Road courses are out because of the insurance worries.

I should have bought a Honda Accord.

MMNA if you are reading this I hope you burn in hell.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

^^ or you can just put painters tape over your vin and license plate
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

I think more info other than vin and license plate would be needed to void a warranty , if so I could record someones license plate and vin I didn't like and go running to mitsu, it's pretty much hearsay unless they have video or some other proof which is a b!tch move anyways.

Stuff like this = immediate kick in the nuts.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
I tape the VIN and remove the plate any time I do any sort of racing. Just an FYI, at AMS's first track day a person was going around photographing rear plates and VINs on the dash. He came over to my car and I quickly moved towards him and he scurried off. Am I paranoid? Maybe. I dont consider myself to be a conspiricy theory supporter, but removing two screws and throwing up a piece of tape is simple steps to take for a piece of mind.
doesnt work for the evo though....... i needed to get a key cut... and they had to reprogram all my keys to the new key i bought.... so they could get in and rip **** off, but they couldnt start it without hotwiring it

and i auto-x every month... never covered my vin, but i did tape up my plate for a while, then kinda stopped caring about it.... i just hope i dont have to worry about drivetrain problems
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:56 PM

Reason Mits is voiding warranties is this this is in your warr. manual its your choice weather you follow the rules or not if not they have the right to not cover a failed component.
clip from warr. manual

Misusing your Vehicle, such as, but not limited to, driving
over curbs, overloading, racing, or using your Vehicle as
a stationary power source
• Alteration or modification of your Vehicle, including, but
not limited to, the body, chassis, braking system or other
components
• Tampering with, or modification to emission control systems
or with other parts that affect these systems
Old Feb 26, 2008, 04:06 AM
Evolving Member

^ Then it's safe to say there is not a single sold Evo in all the great land that has a warranty at this point.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by red evo8
I think more info other than vin and license plate would be needed to void a warranty , if so I could record someones license plate and vin I didn't like and go running to mitsu, it's pretty much hearsay unless they have video or some other proof which is a b!tch move anyways.

Stuff like this = immediate kick in the nuts.
You know I was actually thinking about that. However, I went over to the SCCA's results page and in the space of about 10 minutes I was able to dig up names, results, car years and colors, and pictures of said cars with license plates showing from the pictures showing at the autocross for about 5 owners.

So it is pretty easy.

The pics are good ... you can clearly make out the drivers in the side shots, so there is definately proof. I can post them up here if you guys want.

Here is an article about Mitsubishi's douche bagginess:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...tions_car_news
Old Feb 26, 2008, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jixxer
You know I was actually thinking about that. However, I went over to the SCCA's results page and in the space of about 10 minutes I was able to dig up names, results, car years and colors, and pictures of said cars with license plates showing from the pictures showing at the autocross for about 5 owners.

So it is pretty easy.

The pics are good ... you can clearly make out the drivers in the side shots, so there is definately proof. I can post them up here if you guys want.

Here is an article about Mitsubishi's douche bagginess:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...tions_car_news

Personally, I'd be more worried about pictures of me on the net than someone at an event walking around being nosey. Think about it, physically being in person at an event takes man power, time & money. Browsing the net for pictures is much easier. Thats how I hear the suby douche bags did it

Edit: Guess I was right, read the article! the net is what we have to be worried about!

Last edited by Trail Slide; Feb 26, 2008 at 05:49 AM.