Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

installed my ams copy intercooler and ebay pipes today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone please test this thing.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

yeah.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Yep, sure is..............so what? What power would it make with a better intercooler?

It's like the thing I said, you can paint it gold and draw teeth on it, doesn't make it a mouth and it still can't chew.

Just because it's aluminum and air blows throught it doesn't mean it works the best.

Maybe with a good intercooler that car would make 650 whp, 700 whp.
You’re absolutely correct. With a better IC this car can make more.

I don’t think anyone here on there right mind would argue that the Ebay IC is the best of the best for the Evo. Is it the best bang for bunk IC for the Evo, probably yes. Just like the Ebay O2 housing is best bang for buck O2 housing for the Evo, is the best of the best, probably not. I’m sure you can make a more expensive O2 housing that will release more hp.

If a vendor doesn’t want people to buy this Ebay IC anymore, all they have to do is prove definitively that this IC performs worse than the stock IC in every aspect and I’m sure people will stop buying this IC. I know I would save money and buy the real deal.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy

If a vendor doesn’t want people to buy this Ebay IC anymore, all they have to do is prove definitively that this IC performs worse than the stock IC in every aspect and I’m sure people will stop buying this IC. I know I would save money and buy the real deal.
I don't think they have to show that it's worse than stock but rather that it's not comparable to the aftermarket ones. We all have stock fmics so the question is this, do I drop $150 on the ebay cooler or hundreds more on the AMS/Buschur/ ETC...

Prove that the vendor fmic is better and worth the extra money.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

It was good enough for them to copy.....to make the Ebay cooler.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
It was good enough for them to copy.....to make the Ebay cooler.
That doesn't mean anything. I see this type of thing in the Golf industry all the time. Just because something may look similar doesn't mean it performs the same.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:45 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Someone needs to start an independent website -- intercoolertest.com. They could then get a copy of any viable intercooler, test it correctly and rate it based on price, pressure loss, cooling efficiency, etc.

They could post advertising links and possibly setup a commission system where they get paid if someone buys an IC that is linked from their site. I think I see a new business opportunity
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
Account Disabled

nice
Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
Just so you know that intercooler is also made by the same company. The reason I know, is because a friend of mine bought one for a dsm and cut off endtanks and made his own to fit his dsm. They have one that is the same dimensions as that one, but is 4 inches thick instead of 3 inches like the one in your link. It is a knock off of the HYBRID Intercooler, from AUSTRALIA, but I can guarantee that this intercooler is built 100% like the original because I use to own the HYBRID and compared it with my friends using the xspower one and they were just alike inside and out same turbulators and all. Here is the link, I bought one over 3yrs ago before the XSPOWER even had one out, but I do not see a problem with it.
Link to this Hybrid Intercooler, info, anything?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmmmmmmm ^ interesting..
Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Only 1 way I see to solve it. Test it against a BR/AMS/Nisei for flow and power. That will be the end of the discusion
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

As far as the heat soak issue, today I went for a spirited drive boosting pretty good, I stopped and literally felt the endtanks, the hotside was warm (not hot by any means) and the cold side was very cold, this is only a hand test as I don't really know what it would take to hook stuff up and log on it but thought it would be worth mentioning. Today down here in Pensacola it was approximately 75-80 degrees. Let me know what you guys think about that. Not trying to start any trouble but wanted to post about what I did.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by High_PSI
Link to this Hybrid Intercooler, info, anything?
Here ya go http://powerdigger.com/homepage.htm
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05WhiteEVO8
As far as the heat soak issue, today I went for a spirited drive boosting pretty good, I stopped and literally felt the endtanks, the hotside was warm (not hot by any means) and the cold side was very cold, this is only a hand test as I don't really know what it would take to hook stuff up and log on it but thought it would be worth mentioning. Today down here in Pensacola it was approximately 75-80 degrees. Let me know what you guys think about that. Not trying to start any trouble but wanted to post about what I did.
everybody that has this intercooler already has done this and said the same thing
with the same results
vendors are just going to bash you saying that is no real test and its worth nothing and you need to speed $700 on a read ams or buschur.

as far as i'm conserned ebay intercoolers are great and work great. there are count less cars with very high power running ebay intercoolers.
money is better spent on more important things like garret turbos and engine internals.

i still say the most expensive and stupidiest thing to buy is name brand intercooler piping. all youi got to do is big a few U bends and you can make intercooler piping for any car relative easy.

Last edited by riceball777; Feb 27, 2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

There is no empirical data that this IC works or does not.

What we do know is that it is heavy. Beyond that everything is conjecture.

It is not stupid to buy a proven solution that is guaranteed to fit and make power. What is plainly stupid is judging others based on what you think they should have done. Stop with the inflammatory, groundless, opinion based nonsense that you seem to like to post. It is getting fatiguing.

It you are so interested in proving that what you bought is worth something then go out and test it in a fashion that might actually be respected. Otherwise your rhetoric is getting old.

Quick Reply: installed my ams copy intercooler and ebay pipes today