Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Third Gear Grind.....Are Evo's Junk??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Third Gear Grind.....Are Evo's Junk??

Can't believe it. Just got a new Evo IX two weeks ago, and third gear was hard to get into. Service guy tells me it will get better over time, but instead it's only gotten worse. Now I have to granny shift to not grind third gear!!! I took the car in today, and was told that they would not touch it unless third gear was royally impossible to shift in to. I'm going back to pick it up soon and will talk this over with them.... I've heard others have had similar problems. What did you guys have replaced and did it solve the problem?????

Update: Just to let eveyone know who has an Evo IX with 5spd.... I had my 3rd gear replaced along with new 3rd gear synchros, and it still ginds lightly. Every shift into 3rd from 2nd grinds lightly unless I'm punching it and accelerating fast. I don't think this is a problem you can have fixed, as it's done it from day one, and now still does it after a new gear and synchro. I believe Mitsu has a design flaw in the tranny and I guess we have to deal with it. Just to make sure this was normal, I test drove another brand new Evo IX off the lot with 9 miles on it and it did the same thing shifting into 3rd from 2nd....so oh well. Let me know if anyone else learns something new....

Oh, and don't get me wrong, the Evo is the coolest car ever!!!!! I just think the tranny needs some better design work from the factory....

Last edited by Wicked White; Mar 17, 2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Update
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

How many miles were on it when you got it? Do you drive the car hard? (why did I ask that, almost everyone on Evom is apparently an expert driver who never takes their car to the track... )

It sounds like signs of abuse. I also suggest trying another dealer.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Usually when you break the car in properly and drive right, you never have a problem.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dealership can warranty a synchro

go to another dealership!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

+1 how many miles?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
It sounds like signs of abuse.
By sales people test driving the car!!

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
How many miles were on it when you got it?
+1
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
+1 on trying another dealer if its a problem
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drive down here to So Cal and bring it to South Coast Mitsu...they'll warranty it for you...

HAHA
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

My car has a third gear grind that has been there since day one.. I though it would go away but it never did. It only does it if I shift "normal" now if I aim it a little more to the right when going up to the gear.. no grind. This is how I shift daily/race, no more grind.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my car was shipped from tennessee after i bought it cause there were no TB. i had like 3 or 4 miles on it.. still has the plastic sheets ont eh car... just off the boat... start up my car sooo happy i got it... hop on the highway... GRIIIIIIND!

from day one grinding into 5th....
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

I had all my synchros replaced and a new 5th gear added @ 12,000 miles. The dealer is giving you BS. They know there is a problem w/ our trannys. Good luck.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked White
Can't believe it. Just got a new Evo IX two weeks ago, and third gear was hard to get into. Service guy tells me it will get better over time, but instead it's only gotten worse. Now I have to granny shift not grind third gear!!! I took the car in today, and was told that they would not touch it unless third gear was royally impossible to shift in to. I'm going back to pick it up soon and will talk this over with them.... I've heard others have had similar problems. What did you guys have replaced and did it solve the problem?????

I had the same problem. i picked up my car with 5 mi and I had 2nd-3rd grind issues. I used the granny shift method and the problem got alot better (not great). 2nd gear still grinds sometimes and it's really frustrating.

I traded in a VW R32 for the Evo and I really miss the crisp, problem free shifting tranny of the VW. This is the Evo's biggest downside in my opinion.

I would try shifting slowly and avoid fast upshifts for the first thousand miles. If problem persists, go to the dealer. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:32 PM

Mine does it also and has done it since day 1 when it had 11 miles on it. I talked to the dealership about it and they said same thing "It'll go away give till first oil change." Well i'm on my second oil change now so i'm gonna give my dealership a call soon. I'll update you on my progress.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
25k miles....not a single problem. I granny shift till the car is warmed up.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Our trannys are like glass boxes filled with rocks, everyone get a different problem. Mine was 4th gear, which hasnt been consistant with everyone elses thrid gear woes, entering third was smooth as glass for me, oh well, shep fixed it all, no more grinding for me.

Quick Reply: Third Gear Grind.....Are Evo's Junk??