Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

got the evo dynoed!!! whoo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
Your EMS doesn't determine the amount of power you put down.
You can run Motec if you want, and you're not gonna make any more.
Eh, no, an AEM EMS and Motec will definitely make more power than the stock ECU if tuned properly. Bigger setups will yield bigger gain differentials, but you definitely can make more on the AEM EMS.

However, that has nothing to do with what KartaRailed said. He said what I was insinuating, which is that the exorbitant cost of an AEM EMS could have been better spent on mods that actually make a much bigger difference on such a lightly-modded car. SS O2, GSC cams, Snow Alky, LICP and a custom reflash. Bham, he'd be making much more power, and the alky would reduce his IJD significantly.

Instead, he got an expensive standalone ECU that requires a lot more money to be tuned, is more of a hassle, can't pass emissions, and now he's worried about getting injectors. Big waste unless he plans to do a huge turbo and built motor in the near future, but I doubt it since he's talking about his stock turbo IJD...
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I misunderstood my mistake
No problem, I think we were agreeing anyway.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are good numbers anyhow. Congrats. What kind of a Dyno?

Obviously we dont know why he purchased the AEM because he didnt say, maybe he doesnt want to be getting a reflash everytime he mods his car. Maybe the tuner he likes to work with only tunes AEM. Maybe he's planning on going big and he's just gotten started.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Obviously we dont know why he purchased the AEM because he didnt say, maybe he doesnt want to be getting a reflash everytime he mods his car. Maybe the tuner he likes to work with only tunes AEM. Maybe he's planning on going big and he's just gotten started.
Why would it be any different with AEM EMS? He'd have to get that retuned, too. You're the 2nd person to say that tonight, and I can't figure out why. Do you think the AEM EMS retunes itself when mods are added? No, it still costs money to get it retuned - more than a reflash. If that place can't do flashes, then he would go somewhere else...like a place in the town where he lives as opposed to driving across the state.

Yes, I already asked if he planned to do a big turbo upgrade, because that is the only logical explanation, but he didn't answer. Considering his planned mods after this are IC pipes, injectors (for his stock turbo IJD), and a clutch, it doesn't seem likely...
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

nice numbers bro....
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Those are good numbers anyhow. Congrats. What kind of a Dyno?

We already said we dont know what his plans are but, like warrtalon said, judging by the fact that he is worried about his stock turbo injector duty cycle, and is considering the purchase of bigger injectors to run on the stock turbo, it would seem that he dosent plan on a huge turbo, but of course, he could just want to build it up slowly.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Damnit, Warrtalon, how may words a miniute can you type, I can only rattle out like 70.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Eh, no, an AEM EMS and Motec will definitely make more power than the stock ECU if tuned properly. Bigger setups will yield bigger gain differentials, but you definitely can make more on the AEM EMS.

However, that has nothing to do with what KartaRailed said. He said what I was insinuating, which is that the exorbitant cost of an AEM EMS could have been better spent on mods that actually make a much bigger difference on such a lightly-modded car. SS O2, GSC cams, Snow Alky, LICP and a custom reflash. Bham, he'd be making much more power, and the alky would reduce his IJD significantly.

Instead, he got an expensive standalone ECU that requires a lot more money to be tuned, is more of a hassle, can't pass emissions, and now he's worried about getting injectors. Big waste unless he plans to do a huge turbo and built motor in the near future, but I doubt it since he's talking about his stock turbo IJD...

Any opinions on my datalog?
Educated opinions are hard to come by.

I'm in disagreement with you on the EMS. Whatever gets you there will get you there in my opinion. If you can get ecuflash to run a solid AF with good timing...and the AEM runs the same, then you'll make the same power. It's just easier to do that a standalone than to mess around with ecuflash. I find ecuflash rather innacurate compared to a standalone...but then again I much prefer and am used to tuning a speed density setup.

but we are in agreement essentially. The money spent on the AEM would have been better spent in other mods.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

There's far more to tuning than AFRs. An AEM EMS can -definitely- make more power than the stock ECU on the same car with the same mods. It's not an argument - it's a fact.

I don't have a comment on your logs - I can only see up to 6k, and it looks fine to that point.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Why would it be any different with AEM EMS?
For me it woudnt be any different. Actually it would cost more but then, I dont have an AEM and I'm not swinging from AEM's nuts either.

He'd have to get that retuned, too. You're the 2nd person to say that tonight, and I can't figure out why. Do you think the AEM EMS retunes itself when mods are added? No, it still costs money to get it retuned - more than a reflash
Yes, he will have to get the AEM retuned as well. I never said it didnt - please dont put words in my mouth. I never said or indicated that it tuned itself, and yes it generally costs more to get AEM tuning.

Ultimately, it's not my car, I dont know why he chose to go with a standalone, nor do I really care. However, It's annoying when people assume too much and dont have anything nice to say and criticize people instead.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

There's far more to tuning than AFRs. An AEM EMS can -definitely- make more power than the stock ECU on the same car with the same mods. It's not an argument - it's a fact.

I don't have a comment on your logs - I can only see up to 6k, and it looks fine to that point.
sorry for the threadjack

I'm not a professional tuner...and I'm always looking to learn more. I appreciate your time and response.
Aside from setting proper AFR and timing, how would you make more power with an AEM aside from perhaps using a different ignition system?

Say you datalog and you run the same AFR and same timing with ecuflash and the AEM EMS...do you think the AEM EMS is capable of making more power with other adjustments? If so, I'm wondering what.

In regards to my datalog:
You were saying that the stock injectors are capable of more than 22psi? I'm curious because I've always thought that the evoscan injector pulsewidth readings may be off somewhat.

What do you think of the AFR and IDC here?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Any opinions on my datalog?
maybe a little lean around 3500 (bring the 11.8's to 11.5). Also have you tried not changing your timing through that area. - maybe not decreasing it till the 260 column. I've noticed sometimes timing changes initiate low knock counts that could have 0 knock if the timing was left alone in that particular cell and increased on the next cell after the boost spike.

200 220 240 260 280 300
6 6 6 5 4 3
7 6 6 6 5 4
8 7 6 6 5 4
9 8 7 6 5 4

Looks pretty good though, but I'm sure your shooting for no knock.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

maybe a little lean around 3500 (bring the 11.8's to 11.5). Also have you tried not changing your timing through that area. - maybe not decreasing it till the 260 column. I've noticed sometimes timing changes initiate low knock counts that could have 0 knock if the timing was left alone in that particular cell and increased on the next cell after the boost spike.

200 220 240 260 280 300
6 6 6 5 4 3
7 6 6 6 5 4
8 7 6 6 5 4
9 8 7 6 5 4

Looks pretty good though, but I'm sure your shooting for no knock.
Yeah I deleted some of my better logs from that night. That was one of my first ones on the dyno.

Thanks for the advice. I'm curious about injector duty cycles at high rpm. Any comments?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

pm sent
Old Mar 1, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

alamo has a dyno jet

Quick Reply: got the evo dynoed!!! whoo