Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What is wrong with my car? (boost cut, fuel cut, random misfire 0300?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2007, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What is wrong with my car? (boost cut, fuel cut, random misfire 0300?)

Hey guys...
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light over here...
Can you guys help me narrow down, and advise me the procedure to resolve these problems that I have with my 03 Evo with following mods?

- catback
- vta bov
- open intake
- walbro 255lph fuel pump
- ecu is not flashed - stock setting
- 0300 random misfire code showing up currently

I've been experiencing two problems right now with the car. Honestly, I don't even know what kind of problems I am dealing with here. These problems started to occur more frequently compared to a month ago. The problem I'm experiencing will be followings...

1) Almost 99% of the time upon WOT, (when the rpm is between 3,000 rpm ~ 5,000 rpm) the engine would jerk hard and the car would stop accelerating for a moment as if it hit a wall or something. A second after that happens, the car would continue to accelerate as if nothing has happened. Samething would happen if I continue to accelerate going WOT in the next gear.

2) 2nd problem happens 5 times out of 10, when I am accelerating/cruising with 30% - 50% throttle, the car would all of the sudden hesitate and become sluggish. This occurs when the rpm is between 3,000 rpm ~5,000 rpm. During that is happening I can still hear the turbo spooling if I press down the pedal a little, but I do not feel the boost kicking in, and the car would accelerate like a corolla would. When this is happening, the exhaust sounds pretty rough (similar to how STI sounds like) and I can feel the uneven vibration from the engine into the cabin. If I release the throttle and reapply the gas pedal, this problem would go away for awhile and come back randomly in few seconds, few min, or few hrs. This is really annoying because even when I am just cruising down the freeway on my 5th gear, the car would all of the sudden hesitate and make this weird unpleasant noise from the exhaust (not that loud, it just sounds rough)

The first problem happened once in awhile, (3 to 5 times out of 10) as I left it as is thinking that this is the 0300 causing the car to fuel cut. 2nd problem started last week.
I can't enjoy the car at all now, since I can't WOT or to even drive normally down the freeway without that hesitation and etc.

Thank you guys in advance!

- Tadashi

Last edited by RunEvo; Mar 10, 2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

search p0300. i had this problem on my 03. first i would get rid of the vta bov, then get it tune. uh yah check ur spark plugs, dont run on the irdium crap, run on those 1.99 ngk ones. but if u search p0300, there are alot of things that would set off a p0300
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

i didn't even read your whole thread go get it tuned you will proably break something real soon.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Changed your plugs recently? -- perhaps you need to

Running anything but a stock intake without a tune will yield lean conditions and is not a good idea.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

You, My Friend, are Knocking, you need to use 91 or better. 93 when possible. no octane boost or aditives. If you have a boost controler tune it to 21 psi for 91 octane and 23 for 93. Get the ECU tuned on a DYNO pay a little more but you get about 20-50 hp more. Ohh BTW loose the maf hard pipe if you have one, it screws the airflow up. Ask warrtalon. If you do have 91 octane in your tank then you are getting oil into the combustion chamber, Oil will lower the octane rating of gasoline. So I am like 100% postive that you are knocking, or detonating. Or whatever you wanna call it.

Last edited by 3SgteGuru; Mar 10, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:01 AM

My experience lies only with SRT-4's, but I can say that loads of us over at srtforums.com have had some of the exact same symptoms on our cars.

Most of the time its that you need new spark plugs (also gap them a bit shorter, like .35 or so). Make sure all of your vac lines are zip-tied and hoses are held with t-bolt clamps. Do a boost leak check as well. My SRT did the same thing sometimes, but I found out that the AGP Wastegate Actuator I had bought the car with is notorious for being really tight and it won't open up until at least 3,000RPM - any attempt at WOTing before reach that mark would result in stutter like crazy.

I hope I helped a little, and good luck. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tune you car and get rid of the vta bov.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This should be deleted just because of the blatant disregard for the rules. You have 3 _OBVIOUS_ problems with your car, but you don't even have the slightest clue, because...

1) You did not do any research before purchasing your poor mods
2) You did not do any research period about the Evo
3) You did not even do one single search before making this thread, which means
4) You refused to even read the rules, which say to use the newbie forum as a newbie and not to make a thread until you've searched.

Get rid of the VTA BOV, don't run an intake without a tune, and you need a tune to avoid fuel cut. P0300 is a standard Evo problem. Look it up...
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
This should be deleted just because of the blatant disregard for the rules. You have 3 _OBVIOUS_ problems with your car, but you don't even have the slightest clue, because...

1) You did not do any research before purchasing your poor mods
2) You did not do any research period about the Evo
3) You did not even do one single search before making this thread, which means
4) You refused to even read the rules, which say to use the newbie forum as a newbie and not to make a thread until you've searched.

Get rid of the VTA BOV, don't run an intake without a tune, and you need a tune to avoid fuel cut. P0300 is a standard Evo problem. Look it up...

War is right ^^^^ there's gotta be a 100+ threads about all these problems...I wouldnt be suprised if youve already damaged your car. Get a tune, mr/IX DV, and search...take it or leave it cause you're obviously gonna do what you want anyways
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:53 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for your comments. I thought my problems was different from others as I am experiencing two problems at same time. I'm going to order jestr m1 to flash my ecu. Right now I'm waiting on I tactrix cable to be shipped over here. Meanwhile I will replace my spark plugs.

Mods; please delete this thread

Last edited by RunEvo; Mar 10, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

The flash won't fix all your problems, and the "misfire code" has nothing to do with your plugs.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The flash won't fix all your problems, and the "misfire code" has nothing to do with your plugs.
War - Considering my current mods, do you think $52 jestr m1 flash should do the job? (Let's put the p0300 on the side since that could be caused by many reasons. I want to make my car to run safe at least and I can bare with the p0300 for awhile.) or should I go with $600 Works brain flash?
Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom flashes are the only way to go to ensure the best of everything. I regret doing mail-ins from various companies for numerous reasons so I run a custom one now...aside from getting a custom flash, recirculate your bov!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:16 PM
EvoM Moderator

This is what I would do if i were you.....

1. Place an MR (Metal) OEM BOV and sell your VTA.
2. Depending on what you mean with open intake.... I would get a BR Cone Filter or similar. Is that what you mean... disregard!
3. Get a flash for your mods.
4. Do not boost your car until you get your mail-in flash and use 91+ Octane ONLY.
5. Get a wideband and let us know your AFRs. I bet that you are running pretty rich right now.
6. Do more reading and searching.

Good luck!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
Custom flashes are the only way to go to ensure the best of everything. I regret doing mail-ins from various companies for numerous reasons so I run a custom one now...aside from getting a custom flash, recirculate your bov!
ok. thanks guys. I'll just go with works...oh' and yes the bov.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with my car? (boost cut, fuel cut, random misfire 0300?)