Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

1-2 shifting problems and warranty

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just took mine in for tranny trouble too. I have one of the first runs (February build date?) 1-2 shifting has always been tricky -- had to pause between the shifts slightly to prevent grinding. So, this past weekend, every time I shifted to 5th, it grinded and then went into gear. EVERY time. I even waited until the engine went down to idle RPM, double-clutched, you name it, and it the gears ground. I took it to the dealer Saturday, so they're working on it. My gut feeling is that most of the tranny's gonna need replaced. I broke it in properly, and never abused it -- probably a bad run of trannies as we've seen many times here. It should be back Thursday...

Evo 2003.5
Old Jun 24, 2003, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

for these that says evo is not designd to speed ****

LMAO

go download some bestmotoring video

and watch how these japanese pros shift on the evo

beyond redline
Old Jun 24, 2003, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evo2003.5
I just took mine in for tranny trouble too. I have one of the first runs (February build date?) 1-2 shifting has always been tricky -- had to pause between the shifts slightly to prevent grinding. So, this past weekend, every time I shifted to 5th, it grinded and then went into gear. EVERY time. I even waited until the engine went down to idle RPM, double-clutched, you name it, and it the gears ground. I took it to the dealer Saturday, so they're working on it. My gut feeling is that most of the tranny's gonna need replaced. I broke it in properly, and never abused it -- probably a bad run of trannies as we've seen many times here. It should be back Thursday...

Evo 2003.5

ummm.. bad run of trannies huh

i hope the first batch is not a left over **** from japan's 7

they the say the heck with it gave it to the US EVO
Old Jun 24, 2003, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

You could be forcing the shifts. I can flick my fingers and shift from 1st to second. I had to find the right seat distance to make the clutch disengage naturally by just tapping my left foot and pulling the gear simultaneously.
In a nutshell, since we can't customize the pedal distances and engagement/disengagement, you have to adjust your seat to match your natural leg length and speed of engagement. If you right the right distance it makes the misshifts disappear.

My 2 cents.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 08:09 AM

just my (possibly) irrelevant $0.02. I don't have an Evo, but have an E36 M3 which was a model that a lot of people complained about the shifting of when it was pushed hard.

Has anybody looked into how the engine and tranny are mounted, specifically whether the mounts are really soft?

If you are shifting at high RPM, it is possible that the engine/tranny is generating enough torque to squish the mounts and mis-align the gates. There were tons of M3's that over-rev'd when a missed downshift went into 2nd instead of 4th. I know this is an upshift, but it could be a similar situation.

(And no matter what anybody thinks, it isn't a racecar. Just like the M3 isn't. They are high performance street cars. Any dealer who covers track/racing related problems is just being nice IMHO. Real racecars require intense maintainence schedules including periodic rebuilds, and they still break.)
Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

I have a Feb built car . Second sucks. I raced a VR4. All trying to impress him and he looks over as second grinds. He smoked me. I'll be bringing it up tomorrow at my oil change appointment.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Feb built car too. Its fast, and I think a very strong EVO, but the 2nd gear bites *****.

It never grinds on me or anything, just real notcy going into second. Sometimes I can feel something spinning if I go real slow. I get the best results by almost clutching in a little before I take my foot off the gas. It seems if I come off the gas just a c*nt hair before clutching in, second will feel like there is something almost blocking it.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

maybe since the evo is originally left hand drive, they did not redesign the shifter when they decided to import the car. That may be a reason for the grinding. Or maybe the evo is built for rallying like some others have said and take a full sec to shift into 5. The bozz speed lancer evo 6 does this. or did this long ago.

Last edited by EvoHopeful; Jun 27, 2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Take Peazoo's advice. It took me a long time to figure that out. Now The celica shifts it self pretty much. . It has the same problems. But ordering an evo monday. And I do not plan on having this problem with what I know now and from experience. Hopefully, there will be no problems. im gonna cross my fingers

Last edited by EvoHopeful; Jun 27, 2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

i have the same problem with my evo.
usually from shifting from 1-2 shifts.
my car has about 1300 miles and i really didnt get on it.
it happens every time. happened when i got it, happens now.
i've broken the car in until 800miles and still have grinds going into gear.

i dont even try to quick-shift.
i am taking it to the dealer monday to have them look at it.
my brother did on launch last night at 5000 rpm and the car just reved and not really go anywhere and the whole cabin smelled like clutch burn. this was the first ever attempt at launching the car at that rpm.

now, when the clutch is not engaged there is a rattle going from the front left of the car.
its not loud but noticeable. i just hope my dealer is more cooperative then your dealer.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

I do recall something about having the synchros replaced on some of the evos. Yours may fit the description. My car was notchy at first. Now after 1000 miles the transmission is broken in and it shifts smoothly
Old Jun 30, 2003, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by Peazoo
I do recall something about having the synchros replaced on some of the evos. Yours may fit the description. My car was notchy at first. Now after 1000 miles the transmission is broken in and it shifts smoothly
I had the 5th gear and synchro replaced. Had 5th gear grind from day one. Took it back within 48 hours and the dealer kept the car for 15 days. 5th gear is great now , but it's got a notchy feeling going into 2nd now . I'm not giving up the EVO again to sit in a dealer stall while I'm in a rent a wreck.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:27 AM

My friend has not have any problems with his evol, You got to remember, evols are made for rallys, not straight line racing. so evilution, you should think about getting a honda, nissan, eclispe gst, for that, if you like quarter mile racing, just my 2 cents. He He.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by goodspeed
My friend has not have any problems with his evol, You got to remember, evols are made for rallys, not straight line racing. so evilution, you should think about getting a honda, nissan, eclispe gst, for that, if you like quarter mile racing, just my 2 cents. He He.
This statement has been addressed over & over .... do you really think these cars don't shift hard at higher rpm's in rally racing?
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

my buddy had an old eagle talon with the exact same problem. even my OZ does it.. i sorta like how it pops right from first to second. :P just kiddin, but its no biggie i think thats just how they're made. (stupid mitsubishi parts designers)