Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rock Chips on Windshield

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Rock Chips on Windshield

I can't believed it...I got hit by rock on my windshield 2X now .Actually many times but 2 made its mark. One is kinda roundish and the other is like an x Do you have rock chips on your windshield? How did you fixed it? Does the over the counter (Autozone, Pepboys) windshield kit actually work. Any advice on how to fixed it or a reputable shop that you can recommend would be apprecaited. I'm in Philadelphia/South Jersey Area. Thank you.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
If the chips are less than a half inch the Autozone stuff is good at stopping spidering. I have gone through 3 windshields in 2 years thanks to the horrible roads here in DC.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshield is bound to get replaced sometime, either fix it up so it doesn't spider (mine spidered totally after the guy at carwash was drying off the car) or go to a windshield replacement company such as safelite .
Old Jun 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

yeah get the autozone stuff...it does work. Otherwise you "can" shell out 50 or so bucks for one of those mobile window fixer thingys
Old Jun 1, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

the autozone stuff works pretty good. i left some pretty decent cracks in my girlfriends windshield on her fit when something was "accidentally" thrown at it.. used it as a temporary fix and i pushed pretty hard on it, also went to the carwash on a hot day (when most spidering would occur, hot glass + cold water = cracks) and it held up fine.. the "fix-a-windshield" stuff in a yellow package works better than this other brand i cant remember the name of that came in a blue box.. used both..
Old Jun 3, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all your input . I got the windshield kit yesterday - 10 bucks. I put it on and let the UV rays dry it up. It works pretty good as the chip kinda disappear a little bit. I hope for the best that it don't spider like you guys said. I actually put a marker around the area of the rock chip to monitor that its not getting bigger. And yes its less than 0.5 inch, it only about 3mm and the other one is about 7mm. Thanks again
Old Jun 3, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what it is about the Evo's windshield, but withing the last 14 months I got about 4 decent sized rock chips in mine. I had about 6 cars in the past and never had as many chips as I do with this one
Old Jun 3, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Same here xmaciek82x. That's why I can't believed it. I look at other cars and wonder why they dont have one. It seems like the the tiny rock jumps out of the road as soon as it sees your evo and wanted to hug it - on the windshield . A crisp thump and there is your crack!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

A solid repair with urethane resin and hardener, when done right, is a solid option for about a year's time. Repair should be checked every month or so and can be redone, if necessary.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

What I really want to know is: is there windshield protection film that can be applied to the outside of new windshields? If so, when I repace mine, I would consider getting it.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ~BoOsTeR~
What I really want to know is: is there windshield protection film that can be applied to the outside of new windshields? If so, when I repace mine, I would consider getting it.
Your best bet is to go with a regular Lancer windshield. I've broken 2 Evo windshields already. These things are VERY delicate. Then I put on the Lancer screen. It's thicker and more robust (also a bit heavier, obviously). It's considerably stronger. It's already shrugged off a couple of hits that would have cracked the Evo screen for sure.

Emre
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear , but i know what you mean a about friggen rock chipping the window. i had to replace mine cause it turned into a good size crack