Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX sports gauge kit question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX sports gauge kit question

I just bought a new USDM Evo IX SE and I want to get the sports gauge kit installed which comes stock on the MR.

This is what it comes with, correct?

Left gauge: voltmeter (battery charge)
Middle gauge: oil temperature?
Right gauge: boost gauge

Couple questions about the middle gauge (assuming it is oil temp):

- How is this different from the temperature gauge on the dash? Is it just a more detailed version?
- Does the temp gauge on the dash measure coolant temperature while the one in this kit tells you oil temperature?
- If so, where does it get the oil temperature reading?
- Will this meter help me figure out how long I should let the car idle for after I drive it?

My understanding is that the reason for letting a turbo car idle after it has been run is that if it has been run hard the oil heats up significantly and you're supposed to let it cool down before you turn the car off and just let the oil settle. One more question, the turbo pulls it's oil supply from the engine correct? I am of the understanding that is it not a separate lubrication system...

Thanks in advance!

-Paul
Old Jun 9, 2007, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Turbo is lubed yes from the engine or oil supply from the engine. the reason you want to cooldown is that if you shut the car off immediately the oil that's left in the turbo will cook, you are in essence cooling off the turbo housing because the exhaust gases are way hotter when the engine is under a load than when the car is sitting. turbo timers do this job for you. to answer your questions the guages will not tell you when to shut the car off, that again is what a turbo timer does. for now until you get a TT(if you want) let the car dile after you park for a few 30 seconds to a few minutes dep[engin on hw hard the engine was driven on.
Lastly if you want that gauge cluster take a look in the "for sale" section on this forum, plenty of people trade the stock guages in on aftermarket ones. The smallish stock gauges are hard to read and they are a terrible location to monitor while driving.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 07:34 AM

The oil temp is one thing and the water coolant temp is a totally different thing.

- How is this different from the temperature gauge on the dash? Is it just a more detailed version?

A: The temp gauge on the dash is for water coolant temp. The water gets warmer faster than the engine. It takes around 2 minutes to get the water into right temperature while for the oil it takes around 5 to 10 minutes depending of course on outside temp.

- Does the temp gauge on the dash measure coolant temperature while the one in this kit tells you oil temperature?

A: yeap

A: you will have to install a sensor into your engine. There are plenty of howto's on this and several locations to install it. Some install it near the oil filter. Some install it in a special adapter that goes ON the oil filter. However there are other possibilities as well.

- Will this meter help me figure out how long I should let the car idle for after I drive it?

A: nope. You need to idle the car for 1 to 5 minutes before shooting down the engine. That is if you were in high boost seconds before. Idling the car is to bring down the rpm on the turbine wheel and to cool it down slower so it doesn't suffer thermal shocks. However this will not affect your oil temp readings as the oil temp will stay pretty much constant when you idle before shuting down engine.

My understanding is that the reason for letting a turbo car idle after it has been run is that if it has been run hard the oil heats up significantly and you're supposed to let it cool down before you turn the car off and just let the oil settle. One more question, the turbo pulls it's oil supply from the engine correct? I am of the understanding that is it not a separate lubrication system...

A: yes the turbo uses the same oil supply as the engine. It is not a separate lubrication system. There is an oil feed line and an oil return line between the engine and the turbo.

If you want too cool down your car I recommend going 4th-5th gear in 2000 rpm without braking and without acceleration. The air will cool down the oil radiator and by that it will cool down the oil as well.

Victor.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

They are a bit hard to read^^^ agreed. I re-located mine to the top where the radio is located. Also, I moved the boost gauge from the far right to the far left (closest to me). Takes like 10 minutes with a simple phillips screw driver. Other thing is that the boost gauge reads in bars, and the temp reads in Celsius, but once you convert them and know what each means they arent a big deal. ** Oh yeah, I believe the oil temp reading comes from the drain plug on the oil pan. My drain plug has a wire running from it. I'm assuming that's where it's picking up the temp. reading from.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:38 AM

The boost gauge does not read in bars. Look closer at it.

Originally Posted by Psquared
They are a bit hard to read^^^ agreed. I re-located mine to the top where the radio is located. Also, I moved the boost gauge from the far right to the far left (closest to me). Takes like 10 minutes with a simple phillips screw driver. Other thing is that the boost gauge reads in bars, and the temp reads in Celsius, but once you convert them and know what each means they arent a big deal. ** Oh yeah, I believe the oil temp reading comes from the drain plug on the oil pan. My drain plug has a wire running from it. I'm assuming that's where it's picking up the temp. reading from.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It reads something like bar, but not 100% the same thing. It reads in KG/cm2. Its a nice option, but not worth the money if you ever plan on getting defi's or anything else...
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Inspite
The boost gauge does not read in bars. Look closer at it.
Yeah, I know....thx. 1kg/cm2=.98bar close enough?? It is for me.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Psquared
They are a bit hard to read
better now

Originally Posted by Paulnsx

-Paul
A: The temp gauge on the dash is for water coolant temp. The water gets warmer faster than the engine. It takes around 2 minutes to get the water into right temperature while for the oil it takes around 5 to 10 minutes depending of course on outside temp.

-Paul
A: yeap

-Paul

A: you will have to install a sensor into your engine. There are plenty of howto's on this and several locations to install it. Some install it near the oil filter. Some install it in a special adapter that goes ON the oil filter. However there are other possibilities as well.

- Will this metter help me figure out how long I should let the car idle for after I drive it?

-Paul

A: nope. You need to idle the car for 1 to 5 minutes before shooting down the engine. That is if you were in high boost seconds before. Idling the car is to bring down the rpm on the turbine wheel and to cool it down slower so it doesn't suffer thermal shocks. However this will not affect your oil temp readings as the oil temp will stay pretty much constant when you idle before shuting down engine.

-Paul

A: yes the turbo uses the same oil supply as the engine. It is not a separate lubrication system. There is an oil feed line and an oil return line between the engine and the turbo.

If you want too cool down your car I recommend going 4th-5th gear in 2000 rpm without braking and without acceleration. The air will cool down the oil radiator and by that it will cool down the oil as well.

Victor
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by victor.vacaretu
You need to idle the car for 1 to 5 minutes before shooting down the engine. That is if you were in high boost seconds before.
the only time you really need a turbo timer is if you road race and after your run you just dont want to shut off your car.

however if you do boost high in regular driving and then want to shut off your car right when you stop or get off the boost. 30 seconds is about all you need. running the car while it sits for 5 minutes is only going to make the oil hotter and excessive.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

thx for all the great info all

i want the gauges and i want to keep the car stock for now, so i'm definitely going with the stock setup. i just gotta decide if im gunna bite the bullet and have the dealership do it or attempt to do it myself. thx again!
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I just bought a new USDM Evo IX SE and I want to get the sports gauge kit installed which comes stock on the MR.

This is what it comes with, correct?

Left gauge: voltmeter (battery charge)
Middle gauge: oil temperature?
Right gauge: boost gauge

Couple questions about the middle gauge (assuming it is oil temp):

Thanks in advance!

-Paul
Middle gauge = oil temperature gauge. It gets its readings from the oil pan. The gauge kit comes with a sensor that replaces your oil pan plug with the new plug that has a build in sensor.

Well, letting the car idle is not really for oil temperature reasons but for the turbo. The reason being is because metal expands when heated. If you race your turbo then it becomes really hot, and when its time to cool down, the outer part cools faster than the inner, which is considered bad. Same thing as some one stepping on your toe.

Only thing you have to do is drive your car normally, no racing or WOT runs. Just low rpms stay off of boost for the last 3 minutes or couple blocks from reaching your destination and turning off the car. Turbo timers are not worth it for our daily street cars IMO. The best way to cool a car is driving it, not staying in one place idling, especially when our turbo's are both water and oil cooled.

And yest your correct about the oil to the turbo being circulated from the engine.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

The fact our turbo's are water cooled do not help the cooling factor... in fact the water cooled turbos came from the trucking industry as well as dual ball bearings. They water cooled the turbos to help on the freeway when the truck would constantly be in boost, water cools better/faster than oil, but its still very hot, its coming from a hot motor into a hotter turbo.

Our turbos run upwards of 950 celsius. Which is HOT!!! Like 1700 fahrenheit!!when you shut the motor down the oil inside the turbo housing sits on the bearings boiling, when the oil finnaly does cool that oil is littaraly baked on the bearings leaving a thin hard layer of crusty oil. causing scaring and eventualy bearing failure...

Thus no matter how "hard" you drive just getting on it for 5 seconds reaching higher loads/higher egts can cause probs... If you have a turbo, a turbo timer is a no brianer must! for $100 you can save $1000.00 in a new turbo!

PS op factory gauges are not very accurate Good luck!
Old Jun 9, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Take a look at the kit from 42draft design and a radio relocation kit. Much cheaper than the stock rig, will put the gauges where you can see them, you can get a boost gauge in PSI, the oil temp sender mounts in a factory location by the filter instead of the factory drain plug setup, and you can replace the useless voltmeter with oil pressure or EGT.

If you want to drop more money, the Gruppe-S panel is very nice.

There are lots of used ones for sale as already pointed out by others. I sold mine complete with sender, the needed dash trim, boost hose and T fitting for something like $140 dilivered out of my one week old MR. At a price like that, it is worth it! For the new price of $375, it is certainly not!
Old Jun 9, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jakeg97
the only time you really need a turbo timer is if you road race and after your run you just dont want to shut off your car.

however if you do boost high in regular driving and then want to shut off your car right when you stop or get off the boost. 30 seconds is about all you need. running the car while it sits for 5 minutes is only going to make the oil hotter and excessive.
From my experience I can tell that the normal driving oil temp is between 70 degrees in Celsius going to 80 degrees Celsius (depending on outside temp) If you idle the car for 5 minute it will not heat the oil more than a few degrees (1-2-3 degrees). You can let it idle for the whole day and the oil temp will still be 80 Celsius degrees. The turbo times I have comes with the options of 1 - 3 or 5 minutes. I opted for 5 and 25.000 miles after I haven't had any problems with my car. Probably 30 seconds is enough and probably 1 minute is enough, however the difference on burned gas is minor compared to changing a turbo so I preffer to be paranoic.

Victor.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
How long are turbo timers set for, 1-3 minutes? Well drive normal for the last 1-3 minutes. Why waste more money on something not needed for a daily driver. Dont forget we have oil coolers which work similarly as an intercooler. Dont expect the intercooler to cool much of the charged air while standing still and reving the motor. Eventually it will get heat soaked.

If your racing the car at a track, then you cant cruise the car around before shutting down. So that is when a turbo timer is useful.

Still dont agree with me? Then think of this:

How often do the radiator fans turn on when driving around normally compared to standing still and idling for a long time?

Quick Reply: Evo IX sports gauge kit question