Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo vs 330i (daily driver)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the cash, go for the 335i. If not, get the Evo. Also, your mileage will suffer greatly if you get the Evo. Hope this will help you.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Take the 330i or better yet, get the ix (AWD). Car wins hands down on DD. I have a DD audi .. like to take the wifey's car since it's a lot more comfy, quiet and auto!

Trust me, there have been many people that drive my car and are awestruck.. but on a DD they'd just be annoyed by the noisy idle, me working the manual, and the crappy stereo system. The BMW will be just a nice smooth comfy ride. (I've had a 2002 330 ix and it's a sweet ride for DD and not too shabby for the torque of an NA automatic).
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Take the 330i or better yet, get the ix (AWD). Car wins hands down on DD. I have a DD audi .. like to take the wifey's car since it's a lot more comfy, quiet and auto!

Trust me, there have been many people that drive my car and are awestruck.. but on a DD they'd just be annoyed by the noisy idle, me working the manual, and the crappy stereo system. The BMW will be just a nice smooth comfy ride. (I've had a 2002 330 ix and it's a sweet ride for DD and not too shabby for the torque of an NA automatic).
the evo doesnt have a crappy stereo compared to the one the sti comes with
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by mcwop23
keep the accord as a daily and get an evo for the weekend, why would anyone bother racing anyone in an accord? I have a sebring convertible for a DD and it's great because i can just mosey along not worrying about constantly being revved at. And even if i did get revved at in the sebring god knows i'm not racing in it, its pointless.
I think I am just a very competitive person =/ Even when driving to work in the morning.
Whenever I see someone jumping between cars in my mirror I would always try to race them. It is pretty hard with my car though because it can't squeeze in the places they can and can't accelerate very well.

The luxury of the bmw is a pretty nice thing but I also love the sound of the engine when I rev it up and shift quickly.

335i is what I would get if I had enough money. I don't think I have enough for that car though and even though it is way more expensive, there are way more 335s on the street than evos where I live (NY- long island).

I guess I am just gonna have to test drive both the 330 and the evo9.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aryder
the evo doesnt have a crappy stereo compared to the one the sti comes with
I agree. My stereo that comes with the SSL package is pretty good. The little subwoofer does its fair share of thumping.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Seeing as you live in NY....

I would still go for the BMW.. the @#$@#$ roads have me cringing whenever I roll through the streets. I thought Boston roads were rough, NYC roads get worse considering you also drive faster.. at least in Boston you just get plain 'ol stuck and bumps aren't so bad.

I don't know about you.. but being a competitive driver is going to have you end up with a busted car. +1 for the BMW again if you're busy romping on the car a lot in traffic.... the BMW's torque will beat out the Evo unless you're always in a much higher RPM band.. plus stop and go traffic will be so damned jerky driving a manual. Most of the time in Boston I end up just taking it easy since dropping in the clutch in and out would just have me being the *** that accellerates so fast and slams on the brakes. Auto you can get some nice torque and roll right away.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:50 AM

oh and another question. Would the evo be fast even when I don't rev it? At around 3k rpm I think it made something like 150 hp which is what my accord has =/ But it is lighter so... how fast does it go if you stay below 3.5k?

I know bmw makes more power early but would I have to always rev the evo to have a decent acceleration? I don't wanna stay at 5k for 60 miles mostly because the engine will have a ****ty lifetime and 18 mpg would suck.

I guess I answered my own question. Gonna test drive both of them though just to make sure.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:10 AM
Yur
Evolving Member

Apples to Oranges... I find that people who are considering getting an Evo because its cool and whatnot discover that they made the wrong choice when they buy one. If you are putting the 330i onto the same plate and an Evo you should buy the 330i because at this points its like "I should get the 330i but lets see if there are any cool cars out there that fit under that price tag". Not being rude, dont get me wrong, just being honest.

The Evo is my second car. My other car is an '06 Saab 9-3. Living in NJ i wouldnt take my Evo to half the places i drive to so by having a second car i solve a lot of problems. The Evo is a great car but you either love it or hate yourself for driving it where you shouldnt. The Tri-State area has such terrible roads that you will either be crying from pain or from feeling sorry for the car to have to take the abuse. If it will be your only car I suggest you get the BMW. You'll love it all the time and will not hate yourself.

Last edited by Yur; Jun 12, 2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you definitely don't want an evo. the gas mileage, maintenance, insurance, tickets, and repair costs from you breaking it will have you eating ramen for weeks. unless you make some serious cash. the evo is not for everyone.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

bmw, can cost a lot to own. a lot of up keep like the evo. but a better car I think the evo is turning into another civic.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

I use the 3 series for when out with the family and is definitely a head turner and an EYE CANDY..........But, when if you feel like ripping someone a new one,
the Evo is definitely the car to drive.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:50 AM

Sold my 330 for an evo. Id never get a 330 again. (nor 335 for that matter). Everyone has a BMW. The BMW is soft, slow and feels heavy.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

^^^You can't compare an EVO to a 330i, it doesn't even have more power than the 07" 328i . , much more a 07" 335 Turbo.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dexmix
you definitely don't want an evo. the gas mileage, maintenance, insurance, tickets, and repair costs from you breaking it will have you eating ramen for weeks. unless you make some serious cash. the evo is not for everyone.
Wouldn't everything except for gas mileage be about the same? I thought repair costs might be less with the evo even. And are you saying evos are not as reliable as bimmers?

I only make like 500 a month while in school and most of it would go on monthly payments.

And why would I get more tickets with an evo? If I am speeding in any car (more than 20 above speed limit), I know I will get pulled over if a cop sees me.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:46 PM

The evo LOOKS like a fast car. I expect to be pulled over for speeding sometimes when I'm stopped at a red light going 0 miles per hour. The BMW looks like a BMW, any other car that any other person could drive. A guy in a tuned Evo looks like a "race car *******" to a cop. If there are 6 cars at a red light, 3 going either way, and one of them is an evo, the cop will watch the evo to see if he takes off like a maniac.

I've lived in both NYC and CA and trust me bro, you don't want your DD in the tri state area to have a hard suspension. Those roads suck ***. Get the BMW, you'll be over your whole "need for speed" thing fairly soon after you buy it.. driving is a necessary thing, getting from point A to point B, and if I didn't work so close to where I lived I'd probably sell my Evo.

I've been in an accident before, but it was a 10mph dinger, not a 80mph freeway-racing disaster. Think about your priorities, think about how much of your hard earned money you're going to pay for your new car, and then ask yourself if you're one of those guys who needs to total his car before he realizes he shouldn't be speeding so much in the first place.

Quick Reply: evo vs 330i (daily driver)