Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best enthusiast/mod friendly state?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best enthusiast/mod friendly state?

So with all the extra $ being thrown around California to prevent illegal modifications, ( http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1831.asp ) I was just wondering, what states are the most mod/car enthusiast friendly in the U.S.? I'm not just referring to "hey a cop pulled me over for an exhaust but was cool about it," I'm also talking about the legislative crap too.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:12 AM

California Expands Crackdown on Modified Cars
California agency issued $4.4 million in local grants for a modified car ticketing campaign that generates more than $10 million in revenue for the state.

The California Office of Traffic Safety issued $4.4 million in grants last Friday to three law enforcement agencies to fund an ongoing crackdown on vehicles with "illegal" modifications. The Highway Patrol (CHP) received the largest of the grants at $2,980,587. Ontario police collected $620,000 and Irwindale police $321,044. The grants are designed to fund training and support for efforts to reduce illegal street racing. In practice, the effort has focused on issuing traffic citations to owners of modified cars with the state government collecting far more in citation revenue than has been handed out in grants.

The California Highway Patrol alone issued 101,553 citations worth $10.5 million in 2004 for modified car infractions, according to information the CHP provided to theNewspaper. These tickets were neither moving violations nor safety related. Instead, they included driving with an unapproved exhaust or intake system, using a loud stereo and driving without the rear license plate illuminated. The vast majority of citations, 82,220, were given for dark window tinting while the second greatest number, 8919, were given for driving without a front plate.

Enthusiasts complain much of the law enforcement effort has been directed at cars manufactured in Asia, particularly Hondas and Acuras. Owners of vehicles inspired by cars that race in the World Rally Championship such as the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru WRX STi also have produced citations that showed the owner of an entirely stock vehicle had been stopped and accused of illegal modifications. In April, Los Angeles police took down the license plate numbers of Evo owners who had merely gathered to swap stories and share the experiences they had in owning similar vehicles. The police then mailed each participant an accusatory letter, even though no law had been broken and no resident had been disturbed by the friendly meeting.

"These vehicles were either gathering in preparation to race, or were actually involved in street racing." Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton wrote. "...We are prepared to prosecute all parties to the full extent of the law."

Police in Riverside and San Bernardino counties last week also generated publicity by inviting television news crews to film four customized automobiles, including a 1993 Honda Civic and a 1998 Acura Integra, being crushed after having been seized over accusations that the cars were illegally modified. Officials claimed that some of the parts used, despite purchase receipts, may have been stolen. The crushing took place without any of the accusations being proved in a court of law.
For those who don't like links.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Any state without and emission testing will be more mod friendly. There is a website somewhere that lists them. I know michigan is a pretty good place. They don't even have a visual inspection.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
When I was stationed in ND back in the day there was no state inspection or emmisions test. You could basically drive whatever you wanted on the street.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Here in GA, if it rolls....it's cool on the street.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure NY (Long Island) isn;t the best, but a lot of times people get away with driving stright track cars on the street. It's more like if you don't bring attention to yourself in that your doing something wreckless then they don't care...
Old Jun 29, 2007, 06:59 AM

SC has no emissions tests or inspections at all. I think it was the early 90s that they did away with them. The only non mod-friendly law, which isn't even that bad, is the limit on darkness of tint, but they very rarely enforce that anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:00 AM
Account Disabled

florida
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

florida..no emissions testing...im running full 3in with tp..no pull overs for my exhaust
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:43 AM

florida ftw
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arkansas --- land of old trucks with no exhaust systems to speak of --- owned by law enforcement officers themselves!
Old Jun 29, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Tennessee isn't that bad. I haven't had any problems nor have I heard of any problems.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think a lot of southern states are more lenient. Maybe New Hampshire(Live free or Die)?
Old Jun 29, 2007, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Michigan is good because of no inspection or emissions testing. Of course everything else car related kinda sucks: expensive no-fault auto insurance, expensive vehicle registration (based on value of the car), ****ty roads, and crazy drivers.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 08:18 AM
Ranger's Robin

Oklahoma has no emmisions

never gotten pulled over for tint, exhaust, or loud *** stereo.

Quick Reply: Best enthusiast/mod friendly state?