Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what is a 100% stock 2005 EVO 8 MR with 25,000 miles worth?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by josefmd
Maybe the 06 MR's, but not the 05's
Right, cause everyone is clamoring for the uglier front end, ricey taillights, crappy seats, and lack of MIVEC. Sorry, looks like a nice car but if I can get a similiar 06 MR for $27-28k, you have to price lower accordingly. Heck, you can get a brand new 06 SE for under $29k from a dealer if you know how to deal.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:02 PM

Yeah, but the point is you are not going to lose very much driving a new SE off the lot, you could drive it around for a year or two and not lose too much money, aside from taxes. This is opposed to say a 80k Land Rover which will sell half the price in a few years.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by reeferman
Yeah, but the point is you are not going to lose very much driving a new SE off the lot, you could drive it around for a year or two and not lose too much money, aside from taxes. This is opposed to say a 80k Land Rover which will sell half the price in a few years.
I see people having trouble selling year old 06 MRs for $10k less than they paid for them. Likewise, there are a number of SEs with under 5k miles going for $6-7k less than they sold new. If you bought an SE the day it came out, that means you lost $7k in 9 months time.

Don't kid yourself into thinking the Evo is some sort of investment. Prices will take an even bigger hit too when the X arrives.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 01:05 AM

25g is very good mileage and I would pay about 22-23k depending on the condition of the car
Old Jul 6, 2007, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yodobashi
I see people having trouble selling year old 06 MRs for $10k less than they paid for them. Likewise, there are a number of SEs with under 5k miles going for $6-7k less than they sold new. If you bought an SE the day it came out, that means you lost $7k in 9 months time.
This is sad, but true. I think too many people fold when they MUST sell their Evos. How many new car Evo owners bought the car with shaky finances? Several, if not a significant percentage of all new car Evo sales. When these same guys come to the sad realization that they can't afford it anymore, they must unload the car, and unload it ASAP - to prevent them from "drowning." Conversely, the guys that actually want a used Evo VIII or IX are dishing up what they can afford - the $25K and way under crowd. I mean, perhaps there aren't enough buyers with the cash to buy the Evo for what it's truly worth. However, when there are no more new Evos to be had and its popularity grows, what then? Only the X's success and the market will decide. Even if the X is successful among the masses, I wonder if that won't drive the VIII's and IX's prices up. Any way you look at it, the X will not be as raw and fun as the cars it'll replace. I believe the X can be uber successful, if it offers some, granted, most of the current Evo's prowess - but not completely. It won't be as successful with us out of the box, stock-for-stock, IX versus X, but for all those completely new to the X, the car will be more than enough to please - most of us here will attempt to fill the gap via modding. If anything, the X will announce to all America, "Hey, look at me. I'm an Evo!" To which America will look and keep looking because the X is much more of a looker. Test drives later, the American public is sold. In the first year, sales grow 10-fold, and millions more come to understand what the Evo is all about. Then, some of these new Evo owners discover that they really love to drive. These same people drive for the first time an older, more raw Evo. They are blown away at how much better it drives. They then buy an VIII or IX, also. Some might trade their Xs for VIIIs or IXs. It's true. Most people have no idea what an Evo is. When they do find out, they look the other way and forget. I remember my first reaction. It wasn't a good first impression. The Evo is far more attractive personality-wise than it is in the looks department. I remember looking past the Evo because it was "ugly" - again, at first sight. Until I looked closer and kept an open mind, until I realised that I care more about the sensation of driving than the looks of a car, did I truly understand that the Evo is the most affordable, most b-itching car to own. I had to find the Evo. It didn't find me on a commercial or magazine cover or word of mouth. When most people looked at the Evo for the first time, they said, "Gross!" and moved on. I know I did. Look at me now. Hell, look at my EvoM name - Evo X Owner-2-B, as in future Evo X owner - this back in 2005, when the X was far off. I couldn't take it anymore. All the praise that I continued to read about the VIII again and again, then with the subsequent release of the improved IX, the Evo just wouldn't go away. I couldn't hold off any longer. I had to have an Evo, no matter how ugly. Now, I'm not sure I want the X anymore, as I believe it will be diluted. It's funny and ironic, too, how I now find my Evo beautiful to look at.

Last edited by EVO X Owner-2-B; Jul 6, 2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:58 AM

nice discussion

I dunno if you can compare the EVO to the p00pra as far as holding their value, since there are so many more EVOs out there. I live in the NYC area and there are EVOs everywhere you look. But, you rarely see a stock one, which is good for the select few that still have stock EVOs.

I like to compare this to the Integra Type R world. A 97 ITR (first year in the US), completely stock in excellent condition with low miles, will easily pull 20K or more depending on mileage. They were just over 24K brand new. So a 10 year old car selling for only 4K less than what it was brand new, thats unheard of today. Granted the 97 ITR was super limited in the US compared to the EVO, especially now-a-days due to theft. But not everyone would pay that much for such a car, being that its 10 yrs old and considered "old" technology compared to todays newer cars. There is a crowd out there that will pay that much, but not the masses. Take another 97 ITR, heavily modded, missing original parts like interior, wheels, etc, and it wont pull nearly as much. This is because the car is no longer around, huge demand (rarity and theft) and its considered the best FWD car ever produced.

Back to the EVO, if the X is not received well, and the EVO is no longer in production or brought to the US, I would think similar things would happen to EVO prices as have happened to the ITR in the US. 5 years from now, if you can find a stock '05 EVO 8 with low miles in mint condition in the US, I dont see why it wouldnt pull an excellent price from the right buyer. The EVO has lived up to its hype, and then some. Its an amazing car all around and if I saw a pristine EVO 8 10 yrs from now I would be like

Last edited by RTW DC2; Jul 6, 2007 at 05:01 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

I think sucess of evo x will be good for evo VIII and IX. Not many people in US know or even heard about evo. When I bought my car there were one person at my work that knew what it was. I think EVO X was built for more broader audience then previous evo, in general lot more people like the looks of a evo X then VIII or IX, as they get more popular more people are going to want an evo, and they might not be able to afford a new evo X so they'll start looking for evo VIII or IX. It won't increase the value of the car but I think resale value will still average in the mid to high 20's
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yodobashi
Right, cause everyone is clamoring for the uglier front end, ricey taillights, crappy seats, and lack of MIVEC. Sorry, looks like a nice car but if I can get a similiar 06 MR for $27-28k, you have to price lower accordingly. Heck, you can get a brand new 06 SE for under $29k from a dealer if you know how to deal.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I have those ricey tails in a box sitting in my basement. Any way you look at it the VIII MR and RS are the only two true limited production cars imported. So like many have said, only time will tell. FYI, I did not buy my car to be some kind of investment

25g is very good mileage and I would pay about 22-23k depending on the condition of the car

Heck, I was offered $23K trade-in value for my car at a Subie dealership. I was actually thinking of getting a 07 WR Blue STI.

It looks like there are too many poor young punks out there that are just trying to low ball people to get their dream car.

Last edited by josefmd; Jul 6, 2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Unless you plan to pay cash, you have to pay attention to blue book price because, accurate or not, it helps determine how much a bank is willing to loan on a car.