Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How much will the value of the IX and VIII go down once the X's come into town?
<$1000
17.14%
$1001-$5000
28.57%
$5001>
8.57%
I believe it won't go down, maybe up (assuming you have mods or you're waiting for the right buyer)
45.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

~~~Evo VIII, IX vs X~~~~

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2007, 06:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
~~~Evo VIII, IX vs X~~~~

No, no this isn't a performance wise thread bs . I've been thinking lately of starting a project car DSM GSX. However, today, while driving around some dealerships I saw a couple Evo's for sale (03-05's) for around 22K-25K. I've also been looking at some other forums about the X's coming to the U.S in sometime. This got me interested because, why start a DSM project and waste money, when I can buy a used clean evo. . . .

Now this got me thinking, when the X's come to the shores, what will the VIII's and IX's be at, in terms of pricing? How much will it depreciate in value? I have a feeling that it won't increase, and I'm sure of it. Plus I'm sure many evo owners will put up the for-sale sign on their evo's.

So, I'm asking Evo general and I'm coming out of the off-topic shell, asking:
1. How much do you think, is your car going to increase or decrease in the asking price?
3. Will you keep it?

I want to get a picture of this because for one, I love evos, and two, if their going to be selling like hot-cakes when the X's come out, why not pick one up? Thanks guys!

~Dino

Last edited by gatorade; Jul 4, 2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 07:08 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Nobody knows the answer to your thread. Who knows what the future will hold for cars in general. Plus, using squigglies when you type is ghey.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

^+1
Old Jul 4, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
any time a new model comes for any car, the prior model goes down in value. However, based on the vcult-like following that our cars have gained, in my own opinion, the previous models will retain their valuevery well. The X is going to be so technologically advanced that that fact alone will be it's nail in the coffin. Our VII and IX's are the last true drivers evos, the X with its paddle shifting and unusual design (yet I will admit it's kinda growing on me) are the reasons it will not do so well. The aftermarket also has something to do with it as well, as the VIII and IX's both have huge support but the X's will not have anything except wheels until AMS and Buschur get their hands on one and go beserk. I might be on a bit of a rant here because I am not one to go out and buy the next big thing, but I love my VIII and I think its value is going to stay where it is.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 07:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DonHugo
any time a new model comes for any car, the prior model goes down in value. However, based on the vcult-like following that our cars have gained, in my own opinion, the previous models will retain their valuevery well. The X is going to be so technologically advanced that that fact alone will be it's nail in the coffin. Our VII and IX's are the last true drivers evos, the X with its paddle shifting and unusual design (yet I will admit it's kinda growing on me) are the reasons it will not do so well. The aftermarket also has something to do with it as well, as the VIII and IX's both have huge support but the X's will not have anything except wheels until AMS and Buschur get their hands on one and go beserk. I might be on a bit of a rant here because I am not one to go out and buy the next big thing, but I love my VIII and I think its value is going to stay where it is.
If all the things you just said were true, the EVO 8 would have failed in the US.

The VIII and IX will go down in value when the new X is released, it's just how **** works when there is a new model out. Asking a bunch of people who own 8's and 9's if their car is going to go down in value is pointless. Everyone is biased and nobody wants to admit that the world will still go round when the X is released.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 07:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BBS
Nobody knows the answer to your thread. Who knows what the future will hold for cars in general. Plus, using squigglies when you type is ghey.

I'm asking a general question, man. I know no one will no, but I'm asking what YOU think.

~<3BBS<3~`~~~~~

is that gay enough for you?

Thanks Don, thats an answer I was looking for. Just looking for some opinions, nothing much more than that.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tvieira24
If all the things you just said were true, the EVO 8 would have failed in the US.

The VIII and IX will go down in value when the new X is released, it's just how **** works when there is a new model out. Asking a bunch of people who own 8's and 9's if their car is going to go down in value is pointless. Everyone is biased and nobody wants to admit that the world will still go round when the X is released.
See, I don't visit these forums that much because I don't own an evo. However, I do know that the VIII and IX will be the last 4G63 models? Aren't they switching up the engine or something like that? And like Hugo explained the paddleshifting, it's going to be different. However, being that the X is completely different maybe triggers some evo owners as the last great evo? Or something along the lines of that.

~Dino

Last edited by gatorade; Jul 4, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 07:53 PM

I really don't think the X will be leaps and bounds greater that the 6,7,8,9. But that is just speculation as was stated before. The value will drop but slowly, look at the asking price for TT Supras, RX-7 FD's and Turbo MR-2s. Still not cheap compared to non-turbo cars. Especially when EVOs are getting wrecked left and right. Not going to many clean, stock EVO's left IMO, and yes Gatorade is indeed gay. Just playing bro.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gatorade
See, I don't visit these forums that much because I don't own an evo. However, I do know that the VIII and IX will be the last 4G63 models? Aren't they switching up the engine or something like that? And like Hugo explained the paddleshifting, it's going to be different. However, being that the X is completely different maybe triggers some evo owners as the last great evo? Or something along the lines of that.

~Dino
Yep, no more 4g63, but the 63 has been around forever now. Not that it's a bad motor, but if everyone was so stuck on old tech, everyone would be running 16g's instead of newer more efficient ball bearing turbos.

I believe this to be the last evo of this generation, but not the last true evo.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 08:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by reeferman
I really don't think the X will be leaps and bounds greater that the 6,7,8,9. But that is just speculation as was stated before. The value will drop but slowly, look at the asking price for TT Supras, RX-7 FD's and Turbo MR-2s. Still not cheap compared to non-turbo cars. Especially when EVOs are getting wrecked left and right. Not going to many clean, stock EVO's left IMO, and yes Gatorade is indeed gay. Just playing bro.
Yeah, but there was a reason to why Supras, FD's, and Turbo MR2's are so expensive, limited production. They also are sex when you see them, honestly. Evo's were made in a more mass production, correct me if I'm wrong.

I still think theres plenty, when you compare it to older 90's japanese cars...

Hahaha, back to OT I go
Old Jul 4, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

All the cars you mentioned are definitly pretty, but I've gotta say, I really don't think I see more EVO's than Supra's or 7's. I'm sure that it has nothing to do with production #'s, more to do with new drivers that can't handle 4wd turbos.
Also, I like the way the market looks for the EVO, but I don't have one as an investment. It'll prob drop in value, as all cars do, but at the end of the day you still have a stupidly fast car. (which is all that matters)
Old Jul 4, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

I believe it won't go down, maybe up (assuming you have mods or you're waiting for the right buyer) ????????

Call me crazy but modding your car typically doesn't increase it's resale value. Often times it decreases it. I mean say your in the market for an evo and you've got to pick between a showroom looking 100% stock evo vs. one some kid has been tweeking with for a few years... Call me crazy but I'd pick the stock evo, and I'd argue one day owners may even be able to charge a bit of a premium for a showroom Evo.

I wouldn't suggest modding your car and expecting financial returns on it, that's never been a good investment.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my evo about two years and they were all over the online sales sites. Try finding one now. Not on carmax, autotrader, or ebay unless you want to pay 20k+ for an 03. I paid 21k for mine then and it was still under warranty.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by blkdinan
I bought my evo about two years and they were all over the online sales sites. Try finding one now. Not on carmax, autotrader, or ebay unless you want to pay 20k+ for an 03. I paid 21k for mine then and it was still under warranty.

How many miles were on yours? Cause I'm looking at autotrader right now and they are doing 20-25K for under 20-25K miles..
Old Jul 4, 2007, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoundBoy4
I believe it won't go down, maybe up (assuming you have mods or you're waiting for the right buyer) ????????

Call me crazy but modding your car typically doesn't increase it's resale value. Often times it decreases it. I mean say your in the market for an evo and you've got to pick between a showroom looking 100% stock evo vs. one some kid has been tweeking with for a few years... Call me crazy but I'd pick the stock evo, and I'd argue one day owners may even be able to charge a bit of a premium for a showroom Evo.

I wouldn't suggest modding your car and expecting financial returns on it, that's never been a good investment.
So true