Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cost to keep up with ZO6?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04tarmacEVO
WhtEvo05, thanks alot for your input. You are probably the perfect person to have come across this thread since you own both vehicles.

Of the three different forms of racing I mentioned earlier (drag, auto-x, and roadracing) it seems to me that roadracing would probably be the most difficult one for an evo vs. ZO6 with drag racing also taking significant work. It seems that the autocross course would probably give the evo the best chance since you are taking away the corvettes high speed advantage. Some well sorted coilovers, sticky 265 width tires, a 2.3 stroker motor and medium sized turbo would probably hold its own against the ZO6 as long as there weren't too many long straightaways.
I agree I think the Evo would have an advantage in Autocross with the mods mentioned.

We will be doing some videos in the very near future for both Evom and Corvettefourms. Comparing a highly modified Evo vs a lightly modded C6 Z06.

Just for Sh**s and Giggles.

Old Sep 1, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Ok guys I think I can clear up a few questions on this subject.

I own both a 07 C6 Z06 and the AMS built Evo you see in my signiture.

Let me start here....the Evo is a good car bone stock.....the Z06 is a GREAT CAR bone stock.

A stock Evo is easy to drive on a raod course and even a ok driver can have some fun and be competitive. ....but stock vs stock a Z06 will lap an Evo period.

Drag race stock for stock...well we won't even go there..since there isn't a stock Evo that can run mid to low 11's on street tires and beleive me many guys havewith there Z's. I ran a 11:7 @124mph on bald stock tires spinning through most of 1st gear. This is on a 89 degree day with very high humidity. Z06 was bone stock.

Lets get to the Modding part...Z06 just and intake and tune picked up 40hp more to the wheels.

The Evo as you can see has just about everything you can do to a 37r 2.0 car .

Evo 3450lbs Z06 3052lbs Weight and Aero - Advantage Z06.

The Evo also has three maps ( Tunes) 93 @ 20psi very conservative boost for the street. BTW Drives great!!

100oct Tune @ 26psi again very conservative could be as high as 28 safely.

C-16 @ 36 psi 700whp on AMS Dyno could go 38 but don't want it take a chance on it going BOOM

Ok from a roll the Z06 will walk away from the Evo on 93 oct tune and will go way beyond the MPH limit of the Evos gearing....175mph vs 200 +. On a track there is no contest it is the Z06. Although I have to say, you have to be a good driver to get the most out of the Z06 but for those that can forget about it.

Evo on 100 oct drag race should be a close one....haven't done that race yet but we will do a comparison when the Z is done ( having the intake and TB ported and retuned..this coming week and it should be right around 500 whp with those mods....on a raod course I still would give it to the Z with the Evo running that big turbo it really isn't set up for RR.

The Evo on C-16 well forget about it!!! Evo will walk away from the Z06 by car lengths again until it runs out of gears....then its Z territory.

BTW Ranger ran a 10:85 @ 129.88 mph on DR's bone stock car but he is a awesome driver.

LPE just built a TT Z06 1400hp that unofficially just broke the standing mile record at 226mph and they said the car has more in it..I would say based on there 8:56 second C5 TT shop car that this new one would be a bit faster....and it can be driven daily and it comes with a 3 year 36mile warranty to boot.

Bottom line is if you have enough money you can make a VW go fast... and I think it will be quite some time before we start seeing the kind of mods to take a Evo X past Z06 performance stats.

Very nice write-up!

I'd like to also add the C6 Z06 isn't the only C6 we should be concerned about. The '08 C6 is pretty freaking nuts from the factory, and is darn near getting close to the Z06 level. Check this out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&postcount=261

As they stated, with a tune it will make over 500rwhp.

Cliff notes: A 2008 C6 with few mods > stock C6 Z06
Old Sep 1, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

For the purposes of this post I'll say that 1/4 mile times on drag slicks or drag radials don't count. Your not going to see many people driving to work on drag radials. From what I've seen a new ZO6 will run around 11.7 in the quarter on stock tires with a good driver. I'm sure some may run a tenth or two faster, but realistically most will be slower.
actually you do see A LOT of people with high powered RWD cars driving their cars on DR's all the time. When you make 500+ hp and only have 2 wheels to distrbute the power you need a soft compoud, sticky tire to stick. On my z06 I drive around daily on what is called the drag-pac which is slicks and skinnies consisting of MT ET Streets in 26"x12.5"x16" bias-ply tire in the rear and a skinny bias-ply tire up front. Its the only thing that will hold the power on the street.

granted its only a c5z but its making a hell of a lot more power then a stock c6 z06.

As far as stock times, as others have already said, there are many documented mid-low 11 second passes on bone stock cars with stock tires. I don't know why mag times report what they do, thats why I go by what actual people run at the track and not what a sponsored magizine prints.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Of the three different forms of racing I mentioned earlier (drag, auto-x, and roadracing) it seems to me that roadracing would probably be the most difficult one for an evo vs. ZO6 with drag racing also taking significant work. It seems that the autocross course would probably give the evo the best chance since you are taking away the corvettes high speed advantage. Some well sorted coilovers, sticky 265 width tires, a 2.3 stroker motor and medium sized turbo would probably hold its own against the ZO6 as long as there weren't too many long straightaways.
I think you may be overlooking two important factors when comparing the two cars in an auto-x environement:

1. Torque
2. Gearing

The C6 Z06 wins both aspects hands-down. A C6 Z06 makes gobs of torque at almost idle, and is available throughout the entire powerband. Also, in a C6 Z06 you could pretty much run around an entire auto-x course in second gear. With a built EVO you are still going to be gear searching.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
actually you do see A LOT of people with high powered RWD cars driving their cars on DR's all the time. When you make 500+ hp and only have 2 wheels to distrbute the power you need a soft compoud, sticky tire to stick. On my z06 I drive around daily on what is called the drag-pac which is slicks and skinnies consisting of MT ET Streets in 26"x12.5"x16" bias-ply tire in the rear and a skinny bias-ply tire up front. Its the only thing that will hold the power on the street.

granted its only a c5z but its making a hell of a lot more power then a stock c6 z06.

As far as stock times, as others have already said, there are many documented mid-low 11 second passes on bone stock cars with stock tires. I don't know why mag times report what they do, thats why I go by what actual people run at the track and not what a sponsored magizine prints.
Very nice Z06 bro!

On my turbo S2000, I use MT ET Street Radials for street driving as well as it is making too much power for anything less than a drag radial.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sEvoIXnTurboS2k
Very nice write-up!

I'd like to also add the C6 Z06 isn't the only C6 we should be concerned about. The '08 C6 is pretty freaking nuts from the factory, and is darn near getting close to the Z06 level. Check this out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&postcount=261

As they stated, with a tune it will make over 500rwhp.

Cliff notes: A 2008 C6 with few mods > stock C6 Z06
I agree I think the 08 C6 is another "bang for the buck cars" like the Evo.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost

Nice C5 Z!! How are those tires in the rain?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Nice C5 Z!! How are those tires in the rain?
You should have ended with a winky ( ) smilie. We all know DRs are no bueno in the rain.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 07:27 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by psphinx81
i was dead even with a c6 z06 last night.. setup in my sig stock 03 turbo

z06 was stock lol..
only dead even with you set up???
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Assuming equal driving abilities and familiarity with the vehicles would a good coilover setup from a knowledgeable tuner (robispec, muellerized) be sufficient to hang with the ZO6 in an autocross or road race environment?
I can't speak for AutoX situations, but on a road course an Evo with a well set-up suspension & good rubber can match the corner speeds of a C6 Z06 for most drivers. If you head into the realm of exceptional skill I'm not as sure how the cars would shake out. I own & track a modded VIII and have a friend who has a stock C6 Z06 track toy. You will need a properly tuned suspension from someone like Robi.

As others have said power will be a real challange once you cross 100 mph or so. I have drafted C6's up to about 160 but without the draft they would have left me. At the time my VIII was putting down about 320 whp on a musting with mid level bolt-ons, cams and a 10.5 hotside on the stock VIII turbo.

I think your goals are achievable, but I'm not sure the end product would cost alot less than just buying the C6 Z06 after you include all the upgrades and tuning necessary to reach your goals - especially if you paid someone else to do the work. And the Z06 would still be stock - imagine that with some well developed upgrades.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure just about everyone here has seen the infamous top gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson drove the EVO FQ400 around the track with a Lamborghini Murcielago and stayed right there with it until the Lambo eventually spun out.
great vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZWJjC648I
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but come spring I will be picking up a new EVO X RS and my basic goal with the car is for it to be able to keep up with or beat anything under $100k in pretty much all aspects (accelleration, handling, braking). I realize there will be differences between my old VIII and the X, but this should still give me a rough idea of how much money I will probably need to make this happen.
who knows, as it might take a few months to get performance parts for the 10
and will even a gt35r fit at the rear of the engine?

but if you want to compare it the price with what it would cost to outfit a 8/9 then i would say max15k with all supporting mods to be a killer dd
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sEvoIXnTurboS2k
I think you may be overlooking two important factors when comparing the two cars in an auto-x environement:

1. Torque
2. Gearing

The C6 Z06 wins both aspects hands-down. A C6 Z06 makes gobs of torque at almost idle, and is available throughout the entire powerband. Also, in a C6 Z06 you could pretty much run around an entire auto-x course in second gear. With a built EVO you are still going to be gear searching.
awd is still a pretty good advantage depending on the course design
you still have to get the car to hook up no matter how much torque you make.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

your all overlooking the most important factor....the driver...it doesnt matter what you have if the guy cant handle his car....basically its going to be a different race every single time
Old Sep 2, 2007, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by amscrazy
your all overlooking the most important factor....the driver...it doesnt matter what you have if the guy cant handle his car....basically its going to be a different race every single time
Obviously the driver is always going to be the deciding factor in a race of any kind between two cars that are even remotely well matched. We're talking about the capabilities of the cars themselves here. Stock ZO6 vs. modded EVO.

First time I ever went to a dragstrip I lost to my roommates Subaru Forester XT. The EVO was easily faster than the Suby, but I sucked at driving. Even as bad as I was, I still managed to beat a 350Z by quite a bit so apparently he was even worse than me.

Quick Reply: Cost to keep up with ZO6?