Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HVAC Issue's!

Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC Issue's!

Ok i know that there was a TSB issued for the HVAC controls in 03-04 i believe for the heater control knob being to tight. Well since i had a blood lust hate for the dealer i never took mine in. Tonight it broke off.... Any suggestions where i can get a HVAC setup for cheap or will a dealer possibly fix this. I am well beyond my warranty on my 03 so i doubt they will just be nice enought to fix it lol
Old Sep 16, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

ka bump!
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

does anyone atleast know if i can get away without replacing the entire assembly????
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone know the part you replace to prevent the problem?

Last edited by Silver Knight; Sep 20, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

my vent selector knob wont stay on defrost sometimes, it "pops" out of the position slightly so it moves toward the defrost/leg position slightly. Havent bothered to take it in to the dealership yet, and prob wont until i know what the fix is.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silver Knight
Does anyone know the part you replace to prevent the problem?

POLLEN FILTER!!!!!! whether you have one or not check it!!! If you don't have one, just cut out the precut(long retangle) hole behind the glove box. use a box cutter or something of the sort to cut it out. If you have one that the filter part is solid white, then replace it. It's about as good as a sifter. You want one that's charcoal colored. The color I'm describing is the filter itself, the part you see when it's installed is white on all of them.

What we do is pull the dash, and hvac box. replace the hot/cold blend air door when an updated one. many lancers and outlanders didn't come with a pollen filter and dirt gets in the gears that the hot/cold door ride on, and jam them up. Also there's a link and lever kit that you can put on the box still in the car. To the right of the gas padel. All is does in increase the mechanical advantage of your knob. Which know that you have broke..... You have to buy the whole a/c control head that costs a little under $300. I may have one that's not busted, I'm not sure. Also sometimes this will bend the cable for the knob. I think you can get the cable seperate.

Ok, the dash on the lancer is actually pretty easy to get out. When I'm really going fast, and can have one out in less than 20 minutes. But I'v done 10-15 of them. Also that's on a regular, stock lancer. Not en evo with every freakin gauge and controller under the sun. Ha, the last one I did, was a buddy's evo with a 2.4l, 37r and meth. Of course it has a triple gauge a pillar, hks evcr, turbo timer, meth controls, aftermarket radio, AEM EMS, and more I'm forgetting. That one look me alittle longer, ha. Our shop foreman will finish the whole job in just over an hour.

i'm unsure about the defrost problem. that's a whole other cable, maybe it's bent, or not in it's spot well enough on the hvac box. Look to the right of thr gas pedal, and move that knob back and forth and make sure that cable looks like it's moving ok, and it snapped in.

Any other questions???

I don't know of any cheaper options. once your knob get hard to turn, there's no reversing it. put in a pollen filter, that link and lever kit, and hope fore the best.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

wow this is ****ty news lol i guess i shoulda had it taken care of while i was still under warranty....
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BenBob
What we do is pull the dash, and hvac box. replace the hot/cold blend air door when an updated one. many lancers and outlanders didn't come with a pollen filter and dirt gets in the gears that the hot/cold door ride on, and jam them up. Also there's a link and lever kit that you can put on the box still in the car. To the right of the gas padel. All is does in increase the mechanical advantage of your knob. Which know that you have broke..... You have to buy the whole a/c control head that costs a little under $300. I may have one that's not busted, I'm not sure. Also sometimes this will bend the cable for the knob. I think you can get the cable seperate.
1. Can the hot/cold door gears be cleaned?
2. What's the part number of the link and lever kit?
3. What is the part number of the cable?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

cable PN is MR979515
pretty sure the lever kit is 7801A110

Last edited by BaLListic_EVO; Sep 20, 2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. That is the correct part number.

Part # Description
MR979515 Wire+heater Contr
7801A110 Link+heater Air C
Old Sep 20, 2007, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

It happened to me too-My temp nob broke and Im stuck on cold. I dont really use the heater but oh well!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If you put the new design levers on the side of the heat box that pretty well fixes the problem (what I did). So if you haven't broken the knob yet get the new design plastic lever kit - about 15 bux. If you wait around until the knob breaks then you need the control assembly and that part is expensive.

Last edited by barneyb; Sep 21, 2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silver Knight
1. Can the hot/cold door gears be cleaned?
2. What's the part number of the link and lever kit?
3. What is the part number of the cable?

Yeah, just use carb cleaner or something to get the dirt off, but the new door isn't that expensive. Especially since you already have the whole dash and heater box out of the car.

Any dealer should know these part numbers by memory. maybe not the cable though. This is a very common issue. I did one today, and took some pics. Including some pics showing the difference in the pollen filters and link and lever kits.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Make sure you have the one on the right!!! This lancer only has 34,000 miles, and needed the job done, and it's had a pollen filter it's whole life. just the crappy one.

this is right after I took the dash out. (This one took me 19 minutes )

This is what the heater blend door kit looks like new.

SEE what happens!!!!

The updtated link and lever kit that everyone is speaking of is on the left. All it does is increase the mechanical advantage of your knob.

Does this help any??
Old Oct 15, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

ah i sorta let this thread die off a bit as i was waiting on parts.... One more question whats the PN# for the Selector door kit and updated selector knob... FYI im having issues out of the heater knob only..... what parts will i need?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HVAC Issue's!